Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear-ended on hard shoulder of N7

Options
  • 05-08-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

I was driving to work this morning southbound on the N7 between junctions 5 and 6 when I noticed that the engine temperature light had suddenly skyrocketed. I pulled over to the hard shoulder, turned on hazards and decided to ring roadside assist.

No probs - after about half an hour (circa 9.30am), the tow man rang to ask where I was exactly as he was nearby. While speaking to him on the phone, I looked in my rearview mirror and saw a blue Micra coming straight at me. I could see the whites of the old man's eyes as he ploughed into the back of my car.

Thankfully I'm fine, very shook up, but fine. The old man was OK, some cut hands but he appeared fine also. The tow truck arrived literally a minute after the crash and we got the Gardai on the scene. Turns out the old man was 81! He could barely string a sentence together and the tow truck man even thought that he might have drink on him.

Eventually it turned out that he had been driving in the left-hand lane, felt pressurised by a lorry behind him and moved onto the hard shoulder (of a 3 lane road). End result - ploughed into me.

Best of all - guess who his insurer is? Quinn Direct! WTF! Do they only insure the very young and the very old? The dangerous and the doddery?

My lovely car - it's not worth much, but I love it - a 1997 318 IS Coupe. It's quite possible that the damage will mean that it will be an economic write-off.

3791446529_47186eba40.jpg

I don't even feel cross at the old man - he clearly shouldn't have been on the road, but that's a moot point now. Gah!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Oh jez sorry to hear that.

and you can still see the hazard lights are on in that photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

sorry to see, deffo a write off. Good luck trying to get the value of it out of Quinn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately, looking at the picture suggests to me that its a write off. Possible bent chassis, buckled floor pan, new bumper, two new wings, etc etc.

At least you dont have to worry about the over-heating issue....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's quite possible that the damage will mean that it will be an economic write-off.

Looks like it :( Sorry to hear about the crash, glad you that the other driver are ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Kersh

Holy Fk, that was a close one, and a disgrace at that too. Lucky lucky man.

The girl/old driver bashing thread is here....:pac::pac::pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055617730

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Unfortunately, looking at the picture suggests to me that its a write off. Possible bent chassis, buckled floor pan, new bumper, two new wings, etc etc.

Yup, it doesn't look terribly bad in photo but that is a very nasty fold in the side panel, and given that it's a rear wheel drive car, there could be safety/chassis etc issues.

I'm kind of resigned to the fact that it may be the end of a beautiful relationship.
    At least you dont have to worry about the over-heating issue....:o

At least :(

Seriously, I know that stopping on the hard shoulder is always risky, but I was pulled in, hazards on, and in the middle of a long straight stretch. And yet this old man still manages to aim right for me. What are the odds?

My insurance company (AXA) have said that they could pay out to me and that they would then recover the money from Quinn. I haven't had a chance to speak to the handler yet - but would doing this affect my NCB?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sorry to hear that, you were lucky not to have got hurt.

I was always taught that the first rule of breaking down on a motorway (or dual carriagway) is to get everyone out of the car and move as far away from it as is possible. I don't know about here, but in the UK there are several accidents of this sort every year, some fatal.

No as long as they recover whatever they pay out to you. IIRC. But make sure its clearly written down that they accept it wasn't your fault.

Although having said that its probably best to avoid your own insurance company for the claim if you can afford to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

dudara wrote: »
    My insurance company (AXA) have said that they could pay out to me and that they would then recover the money from Quinn. I haven't had a chance to speak to the handler yet - but would doing this affect my NCB?

Never had to do this, but came close before - they sumary seemed to be that it would be flagged on your policy until they recover the money (from Quinn in this case) - it shouldn't effect your renewal with your current insurer, but would probably prevent you moving insurer. Is your renewal up soon?

If it was me I'd go for it - but it depends on how stuck you are for a car....

Paddy

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »

I was always taught that the first rule of breaking down on a motorway (or dual carriagway) is to get everyone out of the car and move as far away from it as is possible. I don't know about here, but in the UK there are several accidents of this sort every year, some fatal.

Yes they say to get out and stand behind the crash barrier or up the embankment. In Ireland you would be lucky if there was a crash barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I was always taught that the first rule of breaking down on a motorway (or dual carriagway) is to get everyone out of the car and move as far away from it as is possible.

Yepp, definetly something to keep in mind ...get behind the barrier and out of the way if it ever happens to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Quinn are fast to cough up and might offer you the written off car back for buttons. Buy another one and keep the crashed one for spares. :P

Understandably enough, I'm not keen on dealing with Quinn myself. (As a funny aside, when I was looking for insurance for this car, they quoted me €2,500 while everyone else was in the region of €500-700). Yet they'll insure the auld maneen who barrelled into me?

It would be ideal if the insurance company could handle it, though that is probably pie-in-the-sky talk. I'll get in touch with the handler when I have a chance and talk to him.

Thanks everyone - I need to vent and maybe mourn my loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I was always taught that the first rule of breaking down on a motorway (or dual carriagway) is to get everyone out of the car and move as far away from it as is possible.

Hmm, never thought about that. Good advice.

Definitely a lesson learned there. Get far away from the car if this ever happens again. Could have been much worse if it had been an artic instead of a micra.

BTW - I'm never driving a Micra - not even for 5 minutes. His car had crumpled up like an accordion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Kersh

I take it you left your belt on? I would have got out, had a look under the bonnet and hopped back in, and probably not put it on again :eek: . Or god forbid, have been standing at the front of it. It doesnt bear thinking about.

What did the Gardai say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Nasty thing to happen but lucky no one was hurt.
    Yes they say to get out and stand behind the crash barrier or up the embankment. In Ireland you would be lucky if there was a crash barrier.

You are luck to have a hard shoulder that will be wide enough for a car here (look at the ennis bypass ffs) never mind a crash barrier!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ouch, just lucky it wasn't the truck :eek:

In the UK there seems to be barriers on the sides of each road which I always see people standing behind. Lucky you're ok but it could have been a lot worse :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Sorry to see that OP. If you need a car quickly and are not renewing your policy too soon it could be easier to let AXA handle the lot for you. Very lucky you weren't changing a tyre or something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Wouldn't do this. I've had 3 of this type of accident over the years none of which were my fault and always just informed my insurance company and pursued the other. You do not want any record of a claim against your own insurance as this can get messy if you move companies later on

Quinn should pay out fairly quickly as its a clear cut case, relatively low value car and to avoid further claims.

They will only give the book value of the car though

The impact did knock me forward - but I had my belt on. Dunno if there will be whiplash but I am feeling OK so far. I had seen him coming so it wasn't entirely unexpected and I'm thankful how well my car took the impact.

Gardai didn't really say anything - other than they will make a report to the insurance companies if needed.I'd say that it was fairly clear to everyone what had happened.
    Very lucky you weren't changing a tyre or something
    Terrifying thought - could quite easily happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭DanR

Can I just add that you should NEVER stop on the hard shoulder unless you're car cannot move!

Please wait until the next junction if you can for your own sake.

Lucky to get away with this accident without being injured.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Firstly, be glad that you or grandad weren't badly inhured! Do the lotto tonight!
    I would also get checked out by a doctor just in case! I'm still sore from an accident last year!
    My lovely car - it's not worth much, but I love it - a 1997 318 IS Coupe. It's quite possible that the damage will mean that it will be an economic write-off.
    My 97 E39 was less damaged than that last year and it too was deemed an economic write off (since repaired) by Quinn. They made a few paltry offers (almost insulting). The car was damaged a few days before I was due an NCT. By the time the assessor saw it, the cert had expired and he down-valued the car as a result!
    Anyhow, I went onto carzone and pulled out loads of ads for comparable cars (all had lower specs than mine and were looking for an unrealistic amount). Anyhow, I showed these to Quinn and they made a half decent offer (still below what I reckoned it was worth).
    If you claim from your insurer then you temporarily lose your NCB AFAIK and it isn't restored until they claim back from Quinn - double check this but if it were me I wouldn't go this route!
    peasant wrote: »
    Yepp, definetly something to keep in mind ...get behind the barrier and out of the way if it ever happens to you
    Also bear in mind that the armco barriers will move if hit so don't stand directly behind them!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BTW - I'm never driving a Micra - not even for 5 minutes. His car had crumpled up like an accordion
    Not the point ... the driver survived intact didn't he? Just shows the crumple zones worked as they should to absorb the impact.

Not the point ... the driver survived intact didn't he? Just shows the crumple zones worked as they should to absorb the impact.

True - I did think that when I looked at his car. I would still have a personal preference to be in something heavier and more solid.

I have thought that everyday from when I sold my cinquecento;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Glad your ok man, could have been worse.

I gonna think twice about pulling into the hard shoulder from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

FWIW, if the same ever happened to me, the best I could hope for would be the attitude towards it you're displaying. respect. Sorry to hear of it, but to answer your "what are the odds" question, seems to me like about evens :)

sorry again, glad you're ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Ouch.
    Glad your ok Dara.
    Just goes to show the most dangerous part of most roads IS the hard shoulder.:(

Advertisement