Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to donate camera for student/good cause.

Options
  • 04-08-2009 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

I have a Nikon F65, film camera, and a 28-80 G lens, which I'm considering donating to a college, student, good cause, etc. I bought this recently, as part of a kit, and have no use for this body & lense. It's a fairly good camera, would've cost about £300stg back in '02, and it's in very good condition (needs 2 new CR2 batteries).

I can include a small lowepro lumina belpack bag.

Ideally, I'd like to donate it to someone who 1.) will actually use it, 2.) genuinely can't afford their own camera!
    (Sounds mean, but I'd be really pissed if it was flogged on ebay! :mad: )

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

a few in college studying photography working with phenix cameras, can find a good home if ya wish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I wouldn't mind learning on a film camera if you want to donate it to someone here?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

Just an idea,

Maybe it can be donated to the photography section of boards.ie (in the control of a moderator) and new boardies / newbies/ new students to photography may borrow it to use for a fortnight?

mhh, maybe not?

Maybe someone here will know of a poor student who would like to learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Maybe it can be donated to the photography section of boards.ie (in the control of a moderator) and new boardies / newbies/ new students to photography may borrow it to use for a fortnight?

I like this idea. I'm new to photography myself and would love a shot at camera that isn't a p+s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I think that's just going to be too much hassle to keep a track on.
    No, I'm happy with giving it to someone deserving. I remember when I was a student, I was permanently skint! It was a struggle for my family & me, to pay for my third level education, but I was still one of the lucky ones who went to college. Perhaps there's someone doing a photography course in the same boat?

Doesn't have to be a student. Perhaps you know someone who's retired, who's out taking pictures of flowers with a disposible camera, just because they love photography?

It's not a hugh amount of money, to me, but it may be out of someone else's reach. Ideally, that's who I'd prefer to give it to. I really don't want to sound patronising, I'm not looking for any thanks - donation can remain anonymous, that doesn't matter to me.

If you have someone in mind, feel free to send me a PM telling me a bit about them. I quarantee this will go to someone, or some place, that has been suggested by a forum member, and it will be done by the end of August!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

still, lovely idea and generous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'd love to,Always toying with the idea of getting a film SLR,But i can/could afford my own camera,Great idea and i hope you find a good home for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

stick-dan wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind learning on a film camera if you want to donate it to someone here?

But you could afford you own camera,Unless you stole it:confused::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Such a great idea mrmac, well done
    I can't tell you how much I believe in the pay it forward idea. good things are coming your way!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FB5

HI mrmac...i was wondering if i could possible take you up on your offer...!im lookin t get a camera for college but i cant afford one...noway! im hoping to to a media course in college..! didn think generous people like u existed anymore tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I know the intention of the thread wasn't intended an adverts thread so lets keep it that way.

mrmac - a wonderful idea. should you be doing 'business' with someone who responds to the thread, i'd suggest to just verify the photographic need aspect of the person (copy of course credentials with the individuals name or whatever). As you say for it to end up on eBay, adverts, or a car boot sale would be just wrong given the spirit in which it is intended.

As an idea, have you thought of maybe a school transition year project - obviously to entrust it to a responsible teacher - just that it could possibly spur on a latent interest in the art for one student which in turn could be the next Henri Cartier. That would be nice to have on your conscience :) - only thing is you might get roped into giving the "introduction to real photography course" !

Maith thú

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

That is such a generous offer Mrmac, I'm sure there will be huge interest.

Pm'd you with my own interest and experience, it's something I'd love myself.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

The likes of Bulfin youth club are always looking for volunteers to photography classes with the kids. They might appreciate the use of this for kids without cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

The likes of Bulfin youth club are always looking for volunteers to photography classes with the kids. They might appreciate the use of this for kids without cameras.

How about and now maybe this is a crazy idea but seeing as the SSF has been talked about in the last few weeks that there be come sort of Auction for the camera where someone can "buy" the camera and mrmac give the proceeds to the SSF. You could open the Auction for a month and see what offers people make towards the good cause. Probably wouldn't work but would be a good idea.

Advertisement