Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assignment 18 - Obscurity/obscure

• 27-07-2009 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

The theme is obscurity, and you are allowed to use photoshop, gimp ect (although you don't have to) so as it is challenging to the more professional people on here, ha ha. I hope the theme and the combined use of photoshop should appeal to everyone and we should get loads of entries:D,

If your not sure on what i mean by obscurity i'll just quote the dictionary "not clear or easily understood" i have provided some examples of what i interpret obscurity to look like in a picture at the end.

*Photos must be in by 2 weeks of given task - closing date 10th August, 9pm.
    *No old photos. Only photos taken with this task in mind qualify - sorry. Therefore, dated 27th July onwards.
    *Photos must be on the given task.
    *ONE photo per post. Post as many as you like.
    *C&C to be encouraged - but be nice about it.
    *Stretch yourself - no limitation to what you can do to produce the image.
    *Next task/subject to be chosen by person who has the most thanks after their post (must include a picture in the post ).

And here is my interpretation of obscurity(not my photos):

ballybofey.jpg

lg_pole_star.jpg

Happy snapping folks!

Comments

I thought that the rules of the challenge forbid photoshoppery though...

I mean, its a photo challenge, not photoshop challenge, which is running else where on the forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I agree, I think the PS element should be removed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I think this is being confused with The Photo Challenge rules?
    Assignments are not so formal, and are meant to encourage people to take some pics.
    The choosen topic, as suggested by the OP, I think crys out for some PS.
    We've had a few assignments with no PS allowed, so let's go crazy! :eek:

I look forward to see what people come up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

IIRC, previously limited editing was permitted - crops / curves / contrasts / brightness, just not of the kind that brings people back from the grave to be the highpoint of the composition.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    IIRC, previously limited editing was permitted - crops / curves / contrasts / brightness, just not of the kind that brings people back from the grave to be the highpoint of the composition.

but thats the type being encouraged in this comp right?
    IMO, its a photo challenge, not a photoshop challenge. The topic proposed by the OP is an excellent one, and one that does not require photoshop wizardry to achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Well the way i see this assignment is for a bit of fun, nothing overly serious about it. Now i'm sure 90% of photo's you see will have alterations of some sort done to them, be it a simple crop ect. It doesn't mean go mental on the picture and ruin it, but if you prefear to go mad by all means do, i think adding the use of editing software should add to the variaty and should make for some interesting viewing when combined with the theme, at the end of the day if you don't like a photo because of over-editing don't vote for it.

.... at the end of the day if you don't like a photo because of over-editing don't vote for it.

Sounds reasonable.

I'm not a big fan of PS (mainly because it wrecks my head! lol), but I think this is a great topic for a bit of hocus pocus.

BTW - I suggest the Mods have a re-think of the Challenge versus Assigment guidlines. I would like to see a Photo Challenge being opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Have to agree with Mrmac and Homer on this one. You had a "Photo Challenge" that used to run and the rules for that are stickied. What was the purpose of the assignments if it was just going to mimic the photo challenges? I say if you want to add PP restrictions as a strict rule, then re open the Photo Challenges.

This is a photo challenenge no?

This being the photo challenge forum and all that...

This is a photo challenenge no?

This being the photo challenge forum and all that...

It is the Photo Challenge Forum, true - but Assignments where introduced to be less formal, and only lasting a week (later extended to two weeks). Proper photo challenges lasted a lot longer, and had a stricter set of rules and voting system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

What is the difference between a challenge and an assignment?

Are they 2 different things?

Keps

Interesting, I've been running off the rules sticked in the thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,588 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Doesnt give the beginners with no ps experience much of a chance up against the pros to be honest :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I'm not a big fan of over processed pics (mainly 'cos I can't do it myself :)) but I say let it run and see what happens. Personally anything beyond cropping, curves and cloning is a mystery to me.

The challenge is in taking the pic in the first place and if some of you can enhance that to the 'nth degree, so be it. As homer says, if you don't like the pic - don't vote.

You don't have to use any PP. I wouldn't "focus" on that part too much :D
    I wouldn't let that put me off giving it a go. I already have two ideas that doesn't require enhancement (just have to get off my backside and get organised!).

BTW - how many pictures have you seen that have been OTT and ruined by hours of improvement??

We've had a few assignments that have specifically denied any PS etc. - time for a (brief) change?

Obscurity.. about time someone posted an image....

3763356058_47e70f38c8_o.jpg

Well, hasn't this topic already ruffled a few feathers :D

Look, whatever way ye decide I'll just follow suit. But I think we need to relax a little on "rules" here. Photography is about pushing the boundaries, doing something new, doing something in a different way. The last topic I tried to introduce a rule, and how to break it. And many people agreed that the rule or thirds was a pretty useless one, one that they themselves broke without even thinking. And now we're getting hung up on rules.

My opinion is we all grab a cool beer, chill out, and f**k the rules in the bin for a couple of weeks. Go crazy. Then stick the damn rules back in if you want!

On the other hand, if you decide to be strict about it then fine by me too. But let's not get hung up about it. Decide now and let's move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

First idea that came into my head!
    3763393556_0395a308d9.jpg

All i want to say on the photoshop versus no photoshop thing is that i put it on this task to try make the point that these assignments are a bit of craic, and to be honest whatever time they stop being that, i won't be partaking in them! I did say in my original post you can use it but its not necessery, i defo won't be using it, mainly cos i can't afford it, hell the best camera i have is a 10mp kodaq point and shoot so like karma was saying its not about rules and fancy gadgets its about everyone getting out there and having a go, and if that includes photoshop so be it, and besides the winner of the last assignment decides the rules and topic, so there, i'm the boss for two weeks!:p :o:p

p.s. I'm saying that light heartedly just in case!

Attempt 1 then...

3763504556_9137919bac.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 karlos12

Sorry to seem dumb but is it possible to upload pictures directly from my hard drive??

if not is flickr the best way forward to post them up?

thanks so much for any help

You can do it from flickr or pix.ie or imageshack or by adding as an attachment to your post. The attachment can also be posted as an inline image (to show on the thread rather than a link).

Check the FAQ's on the main forum - there's a "how do I post an image on a thread" one which reveals the flickr and pix.ie setup - pix.ie is much more straight forward in terms of the steps.

As far as i know you can put attachments to a post, its the wee paperclip on the menu bar above where you write text, the only problem is pictures don't get displayed in the post though just a link. I use flikr and find it great, fairly fast and easy to manage photos, and welcome to boards. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 karlos12

ah i see, thanks a mill , will get cracking on that so, discovered that i can also link them from facebook too, all very new to me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

vectra wrote: »
    Doesnt give the beginners with no ps experience much of a chance up against the pros to be honest :o

As a complete beginner I've been thinking of different shots to take for this. Should be interesting anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,394 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Messing with mirrors
    92847A7CE98D46BE8CAB606EEB996333-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

My first idea for this...

3763940286_52e8bde315.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Not quite sure if this fits the challenge theme...:

3764068440_e22bfcd883.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

mrmac wrote: »
    It is the Photo Challenge Forum, true - but Assignments where introduced to be less formal, and only lasting a week (later extended to two weeks). Proper photo challenges lasted a lot longer, and had a stricter set of rules and voting system.
    ^^

This was created a while back to get people back out shooting. There seemed to be a lull in people wanting to get out taking photos so we proposed this, a photo assignment - not challenge. The rules that where created where only those that are attached to the first post of all the assignments....

A little bit of confusion me thinks.

I like the sound of this competition!

• Advertisement

11se6fo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Totally different approach tonight. Very noisy (need external flash) but i still like it!
    3767027950_ce7a06597a.jpg

Lovin' the visual composition at the very bottom part of the image! The DL is such a coooool camera. Had mine out tonight actually. First time in a little while. It's bigger brother comes out more often but still love it.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Lovin' the visual composition at the very bottom part of the image! The DL is such a coooool camera. Had mine out tonight actually. First time in a little while. It's bigger brother comes out more often but still love it.

thanks :) was thinking after I could probably have chopped off the top of the photo :), yep very neat camera, easy to use and fine for what I need (ie. messing about). Got it on adverts I think about 2 years ago, was real bargain for such a nice camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

E215808277384CB2BAB583C49FA804F0-800.jpg

here is my entry, not that i'll be getting many votes after the noise from the start of the assignment ha ha, and guess what no editing done here just trial and error, this is a lava lamp just after being turned on.

3771528913_512084ffed_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

First entry

3772332557_dd5e345118.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

altamontgardens_20090301_049.jpg

You can see what being on your own in a hotel room in Cork for 2 weeks does to de head!

w86hkk.jpg

(this is the lift button for my floor- slightly changed)

Thought it was about time I made an effort, then discovered I haven't got my tripod with me, d'oh!

Anyway, two pics of the same thing, no PS, straight from camera, just cropped and a border - any guesses?

3774574584_c5e392bacf_o.jpg

3773768219_3e82912fe3_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

It was just there on the table...........obscurely !

FC2DA61C76764A1DBE20F8B4EB58F963-500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

An obscure portrait
    /with obscure lighting, and slightly obscure processing !

456D3F190D014121AAEDBE921D76B04B-500.jpg

Thought I'd put this one up as well, as it's the only half decent one I managed to get!

3774574750_7251eae97b_o.jpg

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

ok go easy on me. i dont really understand the subject and only fiddlin with new camera but here is my first shot at a challenge

Martron_obscurityassignment.jpg

c&c welcome

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Gorge?

P7302649.jpg

mrmac wrote: »
    Thought it was about time I made an effort, then discovered I haven't got my tripod with me, d'oh!

Anyway, two pics of the same thing, no PS, straight from camera, just cropped and a border - any guesses?

Do like the second one... but should only be one photo per post :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Obscured.

11 in the morning in sunny Beijing!

3777996778_2e48ab3fc8_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

3778370196_cd89a16d5e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭m_s_nixon

CSC_0642.jpg?t=1249157629

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭salamanca

288EFF6FA9974C1EA9F5EF0C4E0A3E1E-800.jpg

salamanca wrote: »

Táim doilíosach ach níl mé in ann é sin a léabh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement