Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surf And Turf 300

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Seriously to anyone thinking about doing these events i can thoroughly recommend them. I turned up on saturday morning not knowing what to expect but all involved made me feel really welcome and it was easy to start a conversation with any of the lads. I had probably cycled 3/4 of the route at some time or another over the last 2 years but would never have dreamed of putting all those routes together for a single ride. To be honest although i had done a couple of 200+km rides in the last month i hadn't done much regular riding in preparation but because of the reasonable pace and regular controls the distance never seemed unsurmountable and even after my accident i still felt i was always going to be able to finish.
    A few recommendations to anyone considering a similar distance audax is to pack light i probably overpacked with a seatpost rack and the extra weight and resulting change in the balance of the bike probably contributed to my accident. I reckon a large saddlebag and maybe a bar bag would be more than sufficient and as far as clothing is concerned layers are the key arm and legwarmers and a light rainjacket would cover all bases when teamed up with shorts and a jersey.
    Again i would like to thank blorg rottenhat and emty as well as the audax lads for an enjoyable day out and would like to say that i will see ye again at the Sean Kelly or the Dying Cow but am just back from the doctor and he reckons that i have broken a couple of fingers from the fall and will need x rays to confirm but is fairly sure i will need a couple of pins put in so my cycling season looks to have come to an early end.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

cunavalos wrote: »
    Seriously to anyone thinking about doing these events i can thoroughly recommend them. I turned up on saturday morning not knowing what to expect but all involved made me feel really welcome and it was easy to start a conversation with any of the lads. I had probably cycled 3/4 of the route at some time or another over the last 2 years but would never have dreamed of putting all those routes together for a single ride. To be honest although i had done a couple of 200+km rides in the last month i hadn't done much regular riding in preparation but because of the reasonable pace and regular controls the distance never seemed unsurmountable and even after my accident i still felt i was always going to be able to finish.
    A few recommendations to anyone considering a similar distance audax is to pack light i probably overpacked with a seatpost rack and the extra weight and resulting change in the balance of the bike probably contributed to my accident. I reckon a large saddlebag and maybe a bar bag would be more than sufficient and as far as clothing is concerned layers are the key arm and legwarmers and a light rainjacket would cover all bases when teamed up with shorts and a jersey.
    Again i would like to thank blorg rottenhat and emty as well as the audax lads for an enjoyable day out and would like to say that i will see ye again at the Sean Kelly or the Dying Cow but am just back from the doctor and he reckons that i have broken a couple of fingers from the fall and will need x rays to confirm but is fairly sure i will need a couple of pins put in so my cycling season looks to have come to an early end.

Sorry to hear about the injuries.
    +1 on traveling light and the layers of clothing. Being wet is less of a problem if you're warm. Wearing several jerseys gives you more pockets for storage, but are only feasible in colder weather.

A bar bag could affect balance if you're not used to it, but would be handy for the longer events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

cunavalos wrote: »

Good grief - you rode 250km with two broken fingers? I knew all GAA players were certifiable but that takes the biscuit.

Completely didn't cop that you were Cunavalos btw - good to meet you and hopefully we'll see you next year if not before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

rottenhat wrote: »
    Good grief - you rode 250km with two broken fingers? I knew all GAA players were certifiable but that takes the biscuit.

Completely didn't cop that you were Cunavalos btw
    The same cunavalos who cycled from Tipp(?) the day before the WW200 and home the day after. Certifiable indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fergalos

Does anyone have the route for the Dying Sow 300 or a description of the route - lot of hills etc

• Advertisement

Not published yet, and it's a brand new route so not much to go on from last year, but I do know that it takes in Mount Leinster (one of the easy approaches though - not up Corrobutt Gap) and that the climb by the Dying Cow pub is supposed to be very steep. Paul didn't mention any health warnings though so it's probably what he would call "scenic" i.e. hilly but not brutal. I'd say he'll post the routesheet next week.

Should have checked my email before posting that:
    the 300k will follow the same route as the 200k but will split slightly before 114k to travel to Clonegal, Myshal, Leighlinbridge, Goresbridge and Borris.From then on it will be uphill all the way until the long and doubtlessly welcome descent in Bunclody.Having travelled through Carnew the two routes will reconverge at kilometer 121 to finish up on the same roads.

Last year's 200 route attached, but there are updates to be made so don't take it as gospel.

do many women take part? I am somehow really attracted by idea of an 200+ ... but the pace worries me. Maybe with more training?

Thread revive...Mieke asked me to post a link to her account of doing PBP, to prove that women do in fact do these rides from time to time.

Advertisement