Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Zoo At Large

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well, I finally got around to checking out the temporary Dead Zoo At Large exhibit up at Collin's Barracks (the 'Museum' stop on the red LUAS line) and yes I can report that there are some prehistoric exhibits.
    Upon entering the (I must admit kind of small and not particularly well lit) hall you are greeted by a great big Megaloceros skeleton. Down the back of teh hall there is a cast of a Megalosaurus skeleton. There's also casts of some pterosaurs and an Archaeopteryx.
    More recent extinct critters include a stuffed thylacine (the Australian marsupial 'wolf') who is mounted witha sort of sage expression. It's actually kind of sad when you think about why they are all gone. Similar feelings were inbound when I saw the great auk egg and Solitare (relative of the dodo) skeleton.
    I wasn't too mad about the stuffed animals what with them having been killed for the purpose of the exhibit, but I suppose times were different back then and conservation was basically an unknown cocept. Pardon, I digress.

Admission is free and there are some nice prehistoric things to see. There are worse things you could do with your free time I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well, I finally got around to checking out the temporary Dead Zoo At Large exhibit up at Collin's Barracks (the 'Museum' stop on the red LUAS line) and yes I can report that there are some prehistoric exhibits.
    Upon entering the (I must admit kind of small and not particularly well lit) hall you are greeted by a great big Megaloceros skeleton. Down the back of teh hall there is a cast of a Megalosaurus skeleton. There's also casts of some pterosaurs and an Archaeopteryx.
    More recent extinct critters include a stuffed thylacine (the Australian marsupial 'wolf') who is mounted witha sort of sage expression. It's actually kind of sad when you think about why they are all gone. Similar feelings were inbound when I saw the great auk egg and Solitare (relative of the dodo) skeleton.
    I wasn't too mad about the stuffed animals what with them having been killed for the purpose of the exhibit, but I suppose times were different back then and conservation was basically an unknown cocept. Pardon, I digress.

Admission is free and there are some nice prehistoric things to see. There are worse things you could do with your free time I suppose.
    is it open sundays?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Nerin wrote: »
    is it open sundays?

Yes, but not Mondays oddly enough...

Oh, I forgot to mention there were also some icthyosaur fossils.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I pass it everyday on the Luas and am ashamed to admit I haven't made it down quite yet...
    I think it's ending soonish too, so I, and everyone else should get their skates on to make it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭JonThom

I too pass the museum ridiculously often and still haven't been to see this exhibition. It's on until the 29th August though, so we've a month yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

JonThom wrote: »
    I too pass the museum ridiculously often and still haven't been to see this exhibition. It's on until the 29th August though, so we've a month yet.

Loads of time so. However if it is anything like the bodies exhibition I will be there 10 minutes before closing on the 29th so. :p

Advertisement