Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend Tyres: VW Passat

Options
  • 21-07-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Could I please have some recommendations for tyres for my Passat?

I like my driving and I do about 20,000 miles a year so I don't want something so soft that won't last a while. But on the other hand, my current set have had me skidding around when I put my foot down, particularly in the wet, since I got them. I'm prepared to pay a little bit extra to avoid a repeat performance. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have a look on here: www.camskill.co.uk

They have very prompt delivery but remember to factor in the extra cost of having them fitted. You will still save money though.

I recently bought these and they have a very good rating on most of the sites I read about them:
    http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s304p6202

They are good value for money as mid range tyres go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭sundodger5

what model/year passat and what make did you fit before?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

It's the Mk5.5 version, 1.9L TDI (110bhp), registered in 2000.

I'm afraid it's bucketing down outside right now so I'll have to wait till the morning to check what I have at the minute.

Thanks again!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've a similar size car, and do a bit more mileage. My avensis has 17" alloys, and I got 4 Goodyear Eagle F1's asymetric tyres for less then 400. As above, check for local tyre fitters as well. You may as well compare prices too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

bazz26 wrote: »
    Have a look on here: www.camskill.co.uk

They have very prompt delivery but remember to factor in the extra cost of having them fitted. You will still save money though.

I recently bought these and they have a very good rating on most of the sites I read about them:
    http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s304p6202

They are good value for money as mid range tyres go.

Falken are not a tyre to buy for mileage.

If you want a tyre for a Passat that will last 20K the best options are Bridgestone ER300 or Michelin Energy Saver IMHO. The Energy Savers would be my choice if I needed a mileage tyre where outright performance wasnt needed. You should expect 25K-30K easy from these tyres provided that are maintained correctly i.e weekly pressure adjustment and rotations. Michelin also claim proven fuel savings due to this particular tyres low rolling resistance.

You will spend a little more initially but the Bridgestone or Michelin will last considerably longer.

I wouldn't base all your tyre pricing on camskill for Michelin. There are tyre company's here that will beat them on price btw when you include fitting. Also bear in mind if your looking at prices on there their euro conversion rate is never right and always make the tyres look cheaper then they actually are.

• Advertisement

VeVeX wrote: »
    If you want a tyre for a Passat that will last 20K the best options are Bridgestone ER300 or Michelin Energy Saver IMHO. The Energy Savers would be my choice if I needed a mileage tyre where outright performance wasnt needed. You should expect 25K-30K easy from these tyres provided that are maintained correctly i.e weekly pressure adjustment and rotations. Michelin also claim proven fuel savings due to this particular tyres low rolling resistance.

Thanks for the recommendation. Does the lower roll resistance impact on the road holding ability of the tyre at all?

Thanks for the recommendation. Does the lower roll resistance impact on the road holding ability of the tyre at all?

The Bridgestone ER300 I mentioned would probably be a better road holding tyre but the Michelin's would definitely be suitable for higher mileage. When comparing this information to the tyres you have currently fitted its worth noting that either of these tyres will hold the road much better then a budget -> midrange tyre.

What tyres do you have on your car at the moment?

Heres a link to some user reviews on tyretest http://www.tyretest.com/pkw_sommerreifen/michelin/energy_saver/index.html

Currently I have: Pace PC66 195/65/R15.

They're what the garage recommended at the time, and not having had any problems with previous sets I assumed they knew what they were talking about!

Depending on what price you got the tyres for they may have been good value at the time. As a cheap budget tyre they are one of the better options but they should still to be considered to be at the very bottom of the tyre spectrum.

A tyre like Pace would have only one pro - Price. The cons would be - road noise, poor mileage and bad road holding especially in wet conditions.

As ive mentioned either tyres above would be a massive improvement compared to tyres you have on your car at the moment. The difference between a cheap budget tyre and a premium tyre is vast.

When i had a the same model i used euther dunlop sp01 of firestone 700 all V speed rated (proper spec)
    i drive around 85,000kms a year and they were the best all round tyres i used.
    just make sure the tyres are not grey imports from the likes of brazil or indonesia.
    we have a surprising number of "odd" tyres being imported and they totally different from the "genuine" article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭peltor

Use Lassa,I sell them by the truck load made by bridgestone,brillant wearing and fantastic grip price is about €85 a piece.

Thanks so much for all the info folks. I think I know what I should be looking for now at least.

I'm tired of getting the run around from guys in garages who assume I drive like a girl :rolleyes: and won't notice what's between me and the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jawnuolis

check http://eiretyres.com all prices are included delivery few month ago buy for Laguna 4 x 205/55 R16 91V with rim protection, CN (So), Nankang, NS-2 and just 240euro :) maybe it’s not best tires but anyway much better then was old one skidding tyres. much more grip then was in old ones

sundodger5 wrote: »
    When i had a the same model i used euther dunlop sp01 of firestone 700 all V speed rated (proper spec)
    i drive around 85,000kms a year and they were the best all round tyres i used.
    just make sure the tyres are not grey imports from the likes of brazil or indonesia.
    we have a surprising number of "odd" tyres being imported and they totally different from the "genuine" article.

Firestone and Dunlop are middle of the road brands imho. Firestone is Bridgestones second tier brand. Neither of these tyres are comparable to the Bridgestones and Michelins Ive mentioned. The fact you got V rated does not mean its a good tyre it simply means its rated to 149 miles in one hour. There are cheap budget tyres the are V rated in that size too.

The originating region of a tyre is irrelevant. The only standard you should be looking for is the "E" mark. This means the tyres are for the European market. If you get a tyre from Dunlop for example that doesnt have the E mark and its made in Brazil the compounds would not be suitable for our roads and weather conditions.

Note to all - If your buying tyres and Firestone or Dunlop and just within your budget they are a good proposition over budget tyres.

peltor wrote: »
    Use Lassa,I sell them by the truck load made by bridgestone,brillant wearing and fantastic grip price is about €85 a piece.

Thats a bit of a joke tbh and a typical sales pitch from someone who sells them. Lassa are an independent budget tyre made in Turkey that Bridgestone just happens to have a share in. They dont use current technology and and should be positioned just above a Chinese budget tyre. If you think they are Bridgestones and your buying them by the truck load the wools being pulled over your eyes. But im sure you know this already and obviously from your post your trying to pull the wool over others eyes.
    jawnuolis wrote: »
    check http://eiretyres.com all prices are included delivery few month ago buy for Laguna 4 x 205/55 R16 91V with rim protection, CN (So), Nankang, NS-2 and just 240euro :) maybe it’s not best tires but anyway much better then was old one skidding tyres. much more grip then was in old ones

Thats not a particularly good deal tbh. Nankang are a budget tyre and fairly crap when it comes to longevity or performance. For about another €25 euro a corner you could have a premium branded tyre like Pirelli, Goodyear or Bridgestone fitted and balanced on your car in a Dublin tyre center.

Do not discount bricks and mortar tyre dealers over internet offers immediately without pricing around first especially in Dublin. Dont be affraid to mention the genuine price you've got on the net. Sometimes the web prices on the likes of Eiretyres can be matched or beaten when you include fitting. Owners of tyre shops are more willing then ever to adjust prices to get cars in the door. Just make sure its as close as possible to like for like. You dont want a situation like above where you've got a good price on the net fror Bridgestone and your having Lassa passed off as the same. ITS NOT!

i agree with some of what vevex says particularly as he says it is his opinion.
    my opinion is based on personal experience and 15 years as a manager in a tyre centre.
    Michelins are good however i found (personally) that when they reach the limits of grip they just let go without warning. the other tyres mentioned give you a little "warning".
    the origin of the tyre is relevant as i have loaned tyres to other tyre dealers and when they replace them i have had small variations in tread pattern even. not to mention the relative tyre wear no.s were different. so different compound.
    The e mark is a fair comment but it just means they are approved in the eu.
    does not mean they are any good.
    vevex you seem to know what you are talking about so you understand the relevance of getting the correct speed rating

Thats a bit of a joke tbh and a typical sales pitch from someone who sells them. Lassa are an independent budget tyre made in Turkey that Bridgestone just happens to have a share in. They dont use current technology and and should be positioned just above a Chinese budget tyre. If you think they are Bridgestones and your buying them by the truck load the wools being pulled over your eyes. But im sure you know this already and obviously from your post your trying to pull the wool over others eyes.

like for like. You dont want a situation like above where you've got a good price on the net fror Bridgestone and your having Lassa passed off as the same. ITS NOT!

Your a bad comedian Lassa are an independant company owned by the same company that have bridgestone,i am not a saleman just a country garage trying to run an honest business and giving my honest opnion based on experience and not reading something out of a sales book and not trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes !!!!!:mad: Funny how you rate the Lassa just above a chinese budget cos i have lads coming to me who had michelins under their mercs,passats running semperits etc who are astute learned people who find they get better mileage and excellent grip wet and dry,very happy with stability from Lassa Tyres for better value then similiar competiors,todays lassa are using lasts years Er300 design with their own compounds.the impetus 11,I do not try to pass them off as anything else but a first cousin that share help from bridgestone that are a better choice then premium brands if pocket are not as deep as others.
    I am not afilated to any tyre brand and keep a varied brand stock but i do get a lot of good feedback on Lassa for Op looking for a good quality tyre i would recommend them which is what Op was asking.you know a lot about tyres
    In future read posts completely i was not offering bridgestones and people getting lassa.:(

sundodger5 wrote: »
    i agree with some of what vevex says particularly as he says it is his opinion.
    my opinion is based on personal experience and 15 years as a manager in a tyre centre.
    Michelins are good however i found (personally) that when they reach the limits of grip they just let go without warning. the other tyres mentioned give you a little "warning".
    the origin of the tyre is relevant as i have loaned tyres to other tyre dealers and when they replace them i have had small variations in tread pattern even. not to mention the relative tyre wear no.s were different. so different compound.
    The e mark is a fair comment but it just means they are approved in the eu.
    does not mean they are any good.
    vevex you seem to know what you are talking about so you understand the relevance of getting the correct speed rating

As I mentioned the Michelin Energy range wouldn't be high on the list if you wanted performance. What they are good for is high mileage due to their design. As you know normally there is a trade off - either mileage or performance. If you want a good in betweener the Bridgestone ER300 as ive mentioned is a great option in a 195/65R15.

The point I was making in regards to the irrelevance of which country a tyre has come from is - I have seen tyres that have been manufactured in China by Goodyear/Dunlop for the European market bearing the "E" mark. I have also seen the same tyre manufactured in the same country without the European certification. Both tyres look the same other then the "E" mark. Obviously there will be differences in compounds and maybe even the casing itself.

As you've said the "E" mark is an approval for use in Europe nothing more.
    peltor wrote: »
    Your a bad comedian Lassa are an independant company owned by the same company that have bridgestone,i am not a saleman just a country garage trying to run an honest business and giving my honest opnion based on experience and not reading something out of a sales book and not trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes !!!!!:mad: Funny how you rate the Lassa just above a chinese budget cos i have lads coming to me who had michelins under their mercs,passats running semperits etc who are astute learned people who find they get better mileage and excellent grip wet and dry,very happy with stability from Lassa Tyres for better value then similiar competiors,todays lassa are using lasts years Er300 design with their own compounds.the impetus 11,I do not try to pass them off as anything else but a first cousin that share help from bridgestone that are a better choice then premium brands if pocket are not as deep as others.
    I am not afilated to any tyre brand and keep a varied brand stock but i do get a lot of good feedback on Lassa for Op looking for a good quality tyre i would recommend them which is what Op was asking.you know a lot about tyres
    In future read posts completely i was not offering bridgestones and people getting lassa.:(

I wasn't trying to be funny

The point I was making here was - You posted a price and discription that implied the tyre was made by Bridgestone. The reason I suggested you were selling a Lassa as a Bridgestone is the price you quoted on the tyre size given by the OP is Bridgestone money anyway.

On Lassa - The Impetus 2 (Im presuming its 2 rather then 11) is not last years ER300 its actually the same thread pattern as Bridgestones discontinued RE720. The precursor to the ER300 was the ER30. Bridgestone is a share holder in Lassa they dont make the tyres. They have probably sold or rented the mold for that tyre to Lassa.

Bridgestone (Premium) -> Firestone (Mid range) -> Lassa (Budget)

I dont know if you ever heard of a Chinese tyre called Zeetex? They manufactured a tyre that was an exact copy, to the letter of the Dunlop Sportmaxx. They used their own compounds and casing however, that tyre handled like any other budget tyre - BAD. The thread pattern without the compounds and casing structures is not the same tyre at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just a positive bit of feedback here...

I got 2 Vredestein Sportrac 3's (215 55 R16) for my 06 Passat today from MJ Tyres just outside Ashbourne (about a mile past the Statoil garage on the right heading for Slane, at the new set of lights/Ratoath turnoff) for €85 each fitted and balanced.

Tyres are a BIG improvement on the set I had before as even with the weather today, the car stuck like glue to the road, and I'll definitely be going back again for the other 2 - very nice guys to deal with :)

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Just a positive bit of feedback here...

I got 2 Vredestein Sportrac 3's (215 55 R16) for my 06 Passat today from MJ Tyres just outside Ashbourne (about a mile past the Statoil garage on the right heading for Slane, at the new set of lights/Ratoath turnoff) for €85 each fitted and balanced.

Tyres are a BIG improvement on the set I had before as even with the weather today, the car stuck like glue to the road, and I'll definitely be going back again for the other 2 - very nice guys to deal with :)

Excellent deal if the tyres have the correct load index for that car i.e 97 extra load.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Excellent deal if the tyres have the correct load index for that car i.e 97 extra load.

Which they do :) 97V XL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

Mine and my wifes car had Michelin Energy tyres, I would agree with the long lasting but the downsides are noisy and also don't expect grip in the wet , I nearly crashed twice on a roundabout with my car.

Her car now has 4 x Goodyear Optigrips , much quieter and also good grip.
    Mine has 4 x Vredestein Hi-Trac's and they also are quiet and good grip.

Goodyear's bought from Camskill, Vredestein's were bought from Southern Tyres in Cork who matched online prices including fitting.

So you get what you pay for.

Sorry it just bugs me putting Lassa in with with the cheap budget black and round mostly chinese rubbish out there !:mad:

The point I was making here was - You posted a price and discription that implied the tyre was made by Bridgestone. The reason I suggested you were selling a Lassa as a Bridgestone is the price you quoted on the tyre size given by the OP is Bridgestone money anyway.

This company was established in 1974 and initiated mass production in 1978 under the name of Lassa. The Company changed its name to Brisa after the establishment of a 50/50 joint venture between the Sabancı Group and the Bridgestone Corporation in 1988.
    Bridgestone is a share holder in Lassa they dont make the tyres. They have probably sold or rented the mold for that tyre to Lassa.

Brisa produces more than 500 different types of tires under the Lassa AND Bridgestone brand names with a range of designs, types and sizes to accommodate many different vehicles
    Bridgestone (Premium) -> Firestone (Mid range) -> Lassa (Budget)

Brisa expanded its presence in international markets with the Lassa brand entering new markets and building brand equity. Brisa products are marketed and sold in 55 countries, mainly in Europe.
    tyre handled like any other budget tyre - BAD. The thread pattern without the compounds and casing structures is not the same tyre at all.

Brisa’s state-of-the-art R&D Center works in coordination with Bridgestone’s Technical Centers in Tokyo and Rome, integrating Bridgestone technology and playing a vital role in reinforcing its competitive edge in world markets.

Brisa’s net sales revenue exceeded US$ 597 million in 2008.

They seem to have a lot more in common then you give them credit for:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

any opinions on infinity tyres? got 2 for my 05 focus a couple of months ago and they seem ok. I am debating whether to get 2 more in october or go with hankook or bridgestone????

• Registered Users Posts: 44 patzer

No Expert but I have a 2001 Passat TDI (130) and have Uniroyal 550 fitted. I have to say that they are a right good tyre in the wet (when is it not wet in this country:rolleyes:) and wear very well. I do about 30k miles a year and whiel a fair amount of it is up and down the N11, I have to say that these are a decent tyre. Not too much road noise and they haven't had much of an impact on MPG either.

Got a pair replaced last year in Gorey for €85 each fitted and balanced (205/55/15)

Something else to think about then??????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Hi all,

Sorry for hijacking the thread...

I have a 2006 Ford Focus, 3 door, 1.6 Zetec, (~100 BHP i think).

Looks like I need to replace my tyres. They are the same tyres that were on it when I bought it 18 months ago. It was 18 months old when I got it.

On the front It has:

GT Radial Champiro 205/55 R16 91V (Seem like a cheap indonesian brand??). Manufactured 2007 (end of year). Tread looks ok on them.

On the back I have:

Michelin Pilot Primacy 205/55 R16 91V. Manufactured (2005 end of year. look like they were on it coming out of the garage brand new).

I definitely need to replace the back michelins. Is it a good idea to replace all 4? The front GT radials look ok.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a good 4 season tyre. I was looking on fastfit.ie at pirelli p6, but i think this might be going overboard as they seem to be for performance cars.

eiretyres.com seems to have nicer price on them.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=50383337.124.22800&typ=R-126952&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Quer=55&Felge=16&Speed=V&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&Transport=P&dsco=124&sowigan=GAN

Basically I'm looking for tyres that have good grip in the wet, comfy ride and low noise..

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have a look at www.camskill.co.uk. Just remember to factor in the extra cost of having them fitted and balanced once they are delivered. Then give your local tyre centres a ring and see what price they can do the same tyres for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tom ford

i purchased 4 bridgestone tyres for a saab 9/5 from a dealer in galway. A few wks later i noticed they were lassa tyres and not bridgestone as requested and quoted. Is this deceipt,and have i any redress

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

tom ford wrote: »
    i purchased 4 bridgestone tyres for a saab 9/5 from a dealer in galway. A few wks later i noticed they were lassa tyres and not bridgestone as requested and quoted. Is this deceipt,and have i any redress

Did your invoice say Bridgestone tyres on it? How much did you pay?
    I doubt you've any comeback after a few weeks, you should have checked what they fitted before you left.

The tyre fitter probably spun you a yarn saying they are made by Bridgestone, lassa would be budget ditch finders.

Oh yeah, ibtl.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I Swear by Semperit Speed lifes using them the past 5/6 years on various cars, They are owned by Contenential and i have Done 25k & Rotation on my Current Car (Leon Tdi) and dont expect to change them until January Nearly 2yrs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement