Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to go in westport

Options
  • 20-07-2009 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

hi all

just wondering where would be the best pubs and nite clubs to head to in westport . i am heading there for the weekend on a stag party . there will be about 20 of us going . any help would be great .

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

the nightclub is that attached to Plaza/Castlecourt Hotel Castlebar St

Most stag parties head for Matt Mulloys in centre of Bridge St - main street between the Clock and bridge.

Other pubs on that street also large enugh to accommodate a party of 20 - Cosy Joes, O'Malleys , COnways, Heneghans

McGings on High Street - ( up past the town clock ) also worth a visit.

Johnny Morans across from Matt Mulloys is a nice small pub but more suitable for smaller parties.

At Westport Quay about a mile from town centre the Helm, Towers and Asgard are all good pubs,

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ballyboy90

we will do our best to enjoy it . thanks for the help nuac

On Saturday you can work up a thirst by e.g.
    climbing Croagh Patrick,
    going sea-angling
    excursion to Clare Island or Inishturk
    trip by car to Achill
    healthy walks on many beaches etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Stags and hen parties have made a pure balls out of Westport. It may be great for the publicans and restaurant owners but it his a hell hole on a Saturday night. Wouldn't spend a weekend in the place if I was paid.

Don't agree with Dec 255 that stags and hens are any problem in Westport. There is a good number and range of venues and activities, and local people and staff tolerate high spirited visitors.

The streets are safer than the nearest competing major venue Galway/Salthill

I spend a lot of time in Westport, and have been in some of the popular pubs while stag or hen groups are there. No problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

dec25532 wrote: »
    Stags and hen parties have made a pure balls out of Westport.

??? compared to what/when?

i wouldnt bother with mcgings, everywhere else is well worth a visit.

nuac wrote: »
    Don't agree with Dec 255 that stags and hens are any problem in Westport. There is a good number and range of venues and activities, and local people and staff tolerate high spirited visitors.

Jaysus, wake up to reality. The locals I have spoken to feel that their town has been taken away from them on Saturday nights. High spirited me arse, most of them are out of their trees.
    The streets are safer than the nearest competing major venue Galway/Salthill
    Hard to compare Westport with a city the size of Galway where a stag or hen party is relatively lost amongst the crowds at the weekends. In fact there are relatively very few of them compared to Westport or Carrick on Shannon which has become another hell hole on Saturday nights.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jaysus, wake up to reality. The locals I have spoken to feel that their town has been taken away from them on Saturday nights. High spirited me arse, most of them are out of their trees.

Hard to compare Westport with a city the size of Galway where a stag or hen party is relatively lost amongst the crowds at the weekends. In fact there are relatively very few of them compared to Westport or Carrick on Shannon which has become another hell hole on Saturday nights.

Well I am from Westport and go out in Westport so I don't know what you are on about, obviously the locals you are talking to are of the older generation.

You might see 1 or 2 hens on a nite but stags are hard enough spot. So to say hell hole is a bit of an exaggeration.

yop wrote: »

Well I am from Westport and go out in Westport so I don't know what you are on about, obviously the locals you are talking to are of the older generation.

You might see 1 or 2 hens on a nite but stags are hard enough spot. So to say hell hole is a bit of an exaggeration.

same here, dont know who you are talking Dec255. there was problems with stags years ago but i havnt heard of a bit of trouble from one in a very long time.

Have been in Matt Molloys and adjoining pubs on many a weekend. Am around a while. Knew Molloys when it was McGings ( different family from the High Street premises ) Never experienced anything approaching a "hell hole"

Perhaps a dozen young wans in short skirts and lighted rabbit ears - ( a hen party ! ) visitiing various bars. Very entertaining - no hassle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Spud Smith

I know people from Westport and have been there a few times and the place is lively the weekends and it was clear to see the locals enjoying the craic as much as the visitors, you'd almost get the impression the locals do welcome the variety of visitors that bring the craic with them as well. Its quite clear though the local lads love it, as the majority of the quality local talent (women)have emmigrated.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

Stags and hen parties have made a pure balls out of Westport. It may be great for the publicans and restaurant owners but it his a hell hole on a Saturday night. Wouldn't spend a weekend in the place if I was paid.

Ya im from westport and can tell you that most of the hen and stag visiting are good natured and enjoy the craic. I am out most weekends and can tell u that the weekends are alot more livelier with the hens and stags. Dec 233 If you want to have a quite night head to Newport;):D

Agree with the Bull - Newport would be quieter, altho some of the pubs there run card-games - I think on week nights rather than weekends.

Might suggest sending the hen parties to Newport to liven those card games up a bit. Strip poker would go down a treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ballyboy90

went on the stag last weekend to westport and have to say we had a great weekend . will def be back to westport again . we met two or three hen nites and one other stag party and all mixed well wit each other and also wit the local people . any of the local people i met there seemed to be enjoying the craic and had not a bad word to say about any of the parties .

I repeat, Westport is fine during the week but it is a hole at the weekends. Many locals will not venture out until a Sunday night when peace has been restored to the streets and pubs.

I repeat, Westport is fine during the week but it is a hole at the weekends. Many locals will not venture out until a Sunday night when peace has been restored to the streets and pubs.

thats a bit harsh, what sort of chaos have you experienced at the weekends?

Advertisement