Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Camping in the aran islands

Options
  • 19-07-2009 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hey just new to this so hope im doing it right!me and a few friends want to take a trip to the aran islands soon and do some camping...has anybody done this before....not in a campsite.wondering about lighting a fire and that sort of thing!?been camping to a few other places and we're real clean and take all our rubbish with us....any ideas out there how they feel about wild campers over there?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

There's disignated camping on the three islands (at least Inish Óir and Inish Mór). There shouldn't be any need to camp wild. Its not very expensive the site near a big harbour on Inish Óir is run by the local council I understand so your small payment goes back to the community.

I don't think the Islands are big enough to sustain wild camping. Maybe, maybe you might find something on a beach if you can trust the tides or behind a wall at Dun Aengus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

LiamMc wrote: »
    ...I don't think the Islands are big enough to sustain wild camping. Maybe, maybe you might find something on a beach if you can trust the tides or behind a wall at Dun Aengus.

Behind a wall at Dun Aengus? Why not designate the top of Newgrange a campsite? A little respect, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 weetobs

thanks a million for that...we actually rang up a hostel and asked about camping and they told us about the camping grounds shud be a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I say people camping on the beach there last year and they had a campfire lit.

ah brilliant now i just have to pack!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

You go to The Field. You know, The Field.

Nah, seriously, we just turned up in Kilronan in April 2007 and we were directed to this camping field. Unless things have changed in the meantime, there will only be one small building containing toilets and sinks. Free to use, but in that case, don't expect them to be sparkling.

From Kilronan, you walk up as far as Tí Joe Watty, then take the right. You'll eventually find the field with a random ol' building in the middle of The Field and maybe one or two other tents in it :D (these directions are really not as vague as they sound! ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

that building with the weird roof is the jacks

5302330_G.sized.jpg

if ya want to camp in the wild, go to Tory Island :) btw I havn't seen any designated camping spot on Inis Meain

thats brilliant thanks very much for the photo really dyin for it now we're hoping to go to all 3 islands for the craic or if we like one we'll stay!should be good thanks for the help!ill let ya know how it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

I've seen a tent pitched between the dunes on Inis Meain, quite close to the airport which should be a good spot the dunes would stop the wind from getting in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CCC123

I was camping on the Inis Mor not so long ago, it was 10e per person to use the campsite, there are no showers, no hot water or electricity or soap in the bathrooms. You could not have any fires and no BBQ facilities, very expensive for using a field!

• Advertisement

thanks everyone for all your posts and advice!been camping there the bank holiday in august!went to inis mor and found the lovely field!!!!!!surrounded by cows haha!it was 7.50 a night and we stayed 4 nights!!!we werent allowed build fires in the campsite but there was a beach 2 minute walk away that the owner of the campsite directed us to and even gave us some wood to build a fire!...but you can use gas cookers and bbq's in the site...had a great time and am dyin to go back...its very basic but its a bit of security especially when it was just the 3 of us girls and the islands are beautiful and everyone camping was pretty laid back and up for a sing song and all!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 P. Ryan

Stayed at the Inis Mor "campsite" recently. No showers or hot water, just a run-down shed in a field with toilets and an outdoor uncovered kitchen sink surrounded by mud. Didn't sleep well as a group of very loud drunk people arrived back at 4 am and made a lot of noise for an hour or so.
    I complained to the owner the next day that I thought it unfair to charge the full rate of 7.50 per person per night as there are no showers or hot water. (Inis Oir campsite charged 7.50 per tent per night and has showers). He was unsympathetic and told me that he had to pay high insurance of 4,000 eu per year and was trying to make ends met. He dismissed my complaints and walked away unhappy saying "well, if you want it for free...etc.". I would have paid him something but not the full rate. Packed up and went to nearby hostel. Make sure you lock your bike there, my rented bike was stolen during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Sorry to bump an old thread but this came on my google search as I was searching for camping on Insis Mor!

Going there next weekend, so planning on camping for one night. Don't think I could hack 2 nights! IS the campsite easy to find? Stillhave those rules in place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 llewelyn

hi,
    i'm planing to visit Aran Islands on august and i was wondering if you could give me some information.
    I checked the previous posts but couldn't figure out if there is a camping site in each of the three islands, or only in Inismor ?
    Did you enjoy one special place/part if the islands ,or a notable activitie ?
    thks

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭christy_weezer

hey i'm planning on going to the islands next week, I had intended on staying in the hostel but it is booked up so i'm going to camp...there will be a group of us going but i was just wondering a few things, 1:do you have to book the campsite and if so whats the number, 2:is there a campsite on the other islands apart from inis mor? which is best if there are more sites...thank you very much for your help in advance!:)

weetobs wrote: »
    thanks everyone for all your posts and advice!been camping there the bank holiday in august!went to inis mor and found the lovely field!!!!!!surrounded by cows haha!

How brilliant were my directions! :D:D:D

hey i'm planning on going to the islands next week, I had intended on staying in the hostel but it is booked up so i'm going to camp...there will be a group of us going but i was just wondering a few things, 1:do you have to book the campsite and if so whats the number, 2:is there a campsite on the other islands apart from inis mor? which is best if there are more sites...thank you very much for your help in advance!:)

At the time, there wasn't one, we just went to the field we were directed to. However at this time of year, I'm sure there'll be someone around.
    If you ask in the local pub when you get there, they'd be able to help.

hey,

LimeFruitGum : do u know if there are campsites in the three islands ?:cool:

thks

There is one in Inis Mór, but I can't comment about the other two islands as I have not been to them :-)

Ok thanks a lot.
    i've got one more question about Inis Mor, what are the things to do there ?
    I plan to "visit" dun aengus, and to explore the islands of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

llewelyn wrote: »
    Ok thanks a lot.
    i've got one more question about Inis Mor, what are the things to do there ?
    I plan to "visit" dun aengus, and to explore the islands of course.

Hire a bicycle, it's the best thing to do when there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 chelleflife

Hi all - Im kinda repeating one of the Qs here in case there are any fresh eyes reading - but can anyone tell me if the campsite on Inis Oirr is open? I read on a seperate thread that it closed down but that was from 2008 so I guess it could have re-opened?

If not, does anyone know if we could camp wild in the campsite field? Or any other field on the island for that matter?

Any info welcome, preferably in the next 10 days! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭bubble_wrap

anybody kknow if the ferry allows you to bring on a mtb bike? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kevthecelt

anybody kknow if the ferry allows you to bring on a mtb bike? cheers

Yes they are fine with bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 43 allthatGlitters

Hi all - Im kinda repeating one of the Qs here in case there are any fresh eyes reading - but can anyone tell me if the campsite on Inis Oirr is open? I read on a seperate thread that it closed down but that was from 2008 so I guess it could have re-opened?

If not, does anyone know if we could camp wild in the campsite field? Or any other field on the island for that matter?

Any info welcome, preferably in the next 10 days! :-)

The campsite is open on Inis Oirr, I was there a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

the most important things to remember, make sure you have lots of big rocks around you fire to stop it spreading.
    if you are having a few cans or cooking, throw your rubbish in a bin, DONT LEAVE ANY RUBBISH BEHIND or i'll pop over and kill you. :D
    make sure your fire is fully extinguished in the morning before you leave, and most importantly, enjoy it.

I really love camping, spend most weekends up by blessington lake with my dog, fire, fishing rod and a few friends.

The garda have shown up once or twice to tell us to move, but once as they see the controlled fire, the black bag that were using as a bin & that were not wrecking the place, they dont mind. Theyve taken my registration plate from my car, and warned me if theres any rubbish they'll do me for it.

Fair play to them, theres nothing more disgusting when you find a beautiful scenic spot, only to see piles of old beer cans & rubish thrown in the middle of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bogger

I'm looking to bring some Scouts here, so it'd be best if we could confirm everything before we turn up. Any contact details?

hey was camping on inis mor last year.brilliant craic.really basic campsite.just toilets.ya dont need to book as far as i know its just a field but ya pay per person.think it was 7 euro a night.enjoy!and get on yer bike!

Advertisement