Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equipment advise for the Beginner DJ!

Options
  • 12-07-2009 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭

Ok so you want to become a DJ but your not sure about all the equipment that is out there! My prefered online shop is Thomann, they have free delivery if you spend over €200.

CDJ's
    CDJ's can range in prices from E166 to over E1000 depending on what you are looking for and what you can afford. Pioneer are by far the best in this category. The CDJ-1000 is the Big daddy of the CDJ world but personally I prefer the CDJ-400 due to its compatibility with a usb stick.

There are budget options such as the Numark Axis4 or the American Audio Radius 1000

Vinyl Turntables
    Technics, Stanton and Vestax are your big brands with Technics being the so called Industry Standard. The downside of buying vinyl turntables is the price of vinyl. Vinyl can be expensive 5-10e per record, not to mention the weight of having to carry around 2-3 record bags, therefore you can consider a Digital Vinyl System (DVS).

Mixer
    In my experience you are better off buying the best CDJ's/TT's you can afford and buying a cheap mixer. You can always upgrade the mixer in the future plus you will not notice the difference as you are only learning. It is also best to stick away from a mixer with effects as they can be distracting when you are trying to learn the basics. There are a ton of mixers under 100e here. Behringer are a company who produce cheap products. The only mixer they produce that is of good quality is the DDM 4000 and at 315e is a bargain.

Software & Controllers
    There are again a load of options in this category but you are best not buying cheap as they can be un reliable. The Torq Xponent is an excellent Controller that comes with Torq software. Vestax also produce the VCI range such as the VCI-100 although you need to purchase an external soundcard.
    As for DVS systems there are a range of them but the best in my opinion are Torq, Serato and Tracktor. There is cheaper options such as Deckadance and the Free open source Mixxx

Headphones
    To be honest don't waste your money, just buy cheap to get you started, As I said earlier send the majority of your money on CDJ's or TT's. I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-205 in Dixons for €40 when I was starting out and they where excellent!

Now for learning the basics, there is a thread all about Mixing advise for the beginner here or alternatively check out youtube videos such as the ones posted on this site http://www.djtutor.com, not everything I say is gospel feel free to disagree or add some advise!

Edit: Cleaned up the post a little!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Brillaint post, well done and thanks VJ - I'll add this to one of the sticky's and add a bit to it myself later when i have time.

Anyone else want to add their two cents please do!

Advertisement