Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-09-2009, 21:08   #61
SeaFields

Mod: Angling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Farrell View Post
wil try to get out another half dozen times.
going to West cork early tomorrow morning, hoping to sea fly fish near rosscarbery if the weather permits. hehe!
If you are heading that direction bring the trout fly gear. There's a lake there called Ballinlough lake, just north of Leap. I have vivid memories of the legendary Jim Maxwell, a renowned fly angler, showing me how to cast a fly when I was about nine or ten. I think there are permits in a b+b close to the lake and theres a healthy stock of brownies in the lake stocked at bout 1/2 pound. Its a gorgeous spot but i haven't been there in five or six years.
Advertisement
04-09-2009, 22:03   #62
Doc Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFields View Post
If you are heading that direction bring the trout fly gear. There's a lake there called Ballinlough lake, just north of Leap. I have vivid memories of the legendary Jim Maxwell, a renowned fly angler, showing me how to cast a fly when I was about nine or ten. I think there are permits in a b+b close to the lake and theres a healthy stock of brownies in the lake stocked at bout 1/2 pound. Its a gorgeous spot but i haven't been there in five or six years.
great advice, was gonna visit shepperton lakes nearby. might try the b&b too. tyvm.

oh please god don't let it rain all day.
04-09-2009, 22:28   #63
SeaFields

Quote:
great advice, was gonna visit shepperton lakes nearby. might try the b&b too. tyvm.

oh please god don't let it rain all day.
Best of luck and hopefully you will have a few pics to post next week.

Tight lines
05-09-2009, 23:00   #64
SeaFields

I'm just back from an evening after mackerel. Brought down a buddy that has recent acquired himself his first rod and reel and the mackerel obliged. Heres the thing tho...

I had a red flying c up and got a few mackerel as well. However, and very strangely, I caught a plaice, around 1lb, on the flying c. Thats weird!! I know we used get flatties while fly fishing for seatrout in a local estuary but this stricks me as weird.

Opinions anyone?
06-09-2009, 21:55   #65
Doc Farrell

Quote:
Best of luck and hopefully you will have a few pics to post next week.

Tight lines
well, what a disaster.
forgot my flies so stopped off at a great angling shop in a place called Halfway which is halfway between Bandon and Cork on the Owenboy river.

then the car broke down, and it's seriously broken, smoke everywhere, burning a litre of oil every few miles.
left it in Leap in West Cork, have to collect it tomorrow.
then the rain came down and stayed down, massive clouds of it.
just spent the last 9 hours on the buses and trains and taxis.

Went to Cork station and they asked for 66 euro one way to get to Dublin! It only costs 40 to fly! Had the laptop with me so i booked a ticket next to the machine for 36. Which means that if you are too old or infirm or poor and uneducated or have a family emergency and can't book online then you have to pay extortionate fcking rates from Iarnrod Eireann. I was nearly physically sickened by their policy. I'm reading a biography of the great Tom Barry from Cork who grew up poor like his neighbour Michael Collins and did so much for Irish Independence and I was thinking what would he think of this pathetic gombeen extortionate greed by Iarnrod Eireann. How typical of the greed and sickness of the bloated Celtic Tiger.

On a good note,
stayed in a great little B&B in Leap called the Leap Inn, only 35 euro with a full brekfast.
also had a lovely pint in O'Casey's in Glandore which is a little gem of an old-fashioned pub.
also had a lobster dinner in a great pub called Mary Ann's in Castletownsend which cost 58 euro with dessert drinks and coffee, which is a big reduction in their celtic tiger prices. they were voted best pub food in Ireland last year and in fairness their food is something special and thats what the girlfriend wanted so that's what i had to do but if i was on my own i would have gone to a chipper in Rosscarbery called Roc's which take 20 minutes to make your fish and chips coz they cook everything fresh and they are the best chipper in Ireland. And this village was also the home of the very dangerous Tom Barry, which is interesting to me anyhow.

here is a picture of one of the finest standing stone circles in Ireland, please note the weather. It is called Drombeg, just outside Glandore, one magical and deeply unsettling place.

hang on and i'll upload the pic in the next post, computer giving me trouble.

Last edited by Doc Farrell; 06-09-2009 at 22:20. Reason: Drombeg, not doonbeg
Advertisement
06-09-2009, 22:13   #66
paddy2008

then the car broke down, and it's seriously broken, smoke everywhere, burning a litre of oil every few miles.

sounds like you need a new turbo as well(more bad news)
06-09-2009, 22:23   #67
Doc Farrell

thats what i'm hoping it is paddy and not anything to do with the piston rings!

here's that picture of Drombeg.

going back to the lakes tomorrow for 2 hours please God.

btw i'd like to upload better pictures but only the camera phone pics are small enough to attach, am i doing something wrong? help me jd and all the rest of u picture uploaders!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image0026.jpg (15.5 KB, 99 views)
06-09-2009, 22:55   #68
Doc Farrell

Quote:
seafields i heard from a local angler that ballinlough lake is no longer stocked and that the angling club has disbanded. Also there's a beautiful lake near reanascreena called Corran lake which is a stunningly beautiful lake on top of a hill, but because of litter, damage, open gates etc the local land owners have closed it off.

now this should be depressing but these lakes are so stunning and angling is such a wonderful past time that I'm convinced that these lakes, along with all other lakes, will be treasured and properly respected by future generations. they are literally priceless. And they get along just fine without us humans, thank god.

the angler i was talking to was forced to sell his boat by his wife because he was spending to much time on the water that it was destroying his making a living. i think he still sneaks away when he can....
06-09-2009, 23:14   #69
Itsdacraic

Quote:
then you have to pay extortionate fcking rates from Iarnrod Eireann. I was nearly physically sickened by their policy. I'm reading a biography of the great Tom Barry from Cork who grew up poor like his neighbour Michael Collins and did so much for Irish Independence and I was thinking what would he think of this pathetic gombeen extortionate greed by Iarnrod Eireann..
Tom Barry, great man.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-09-2009, 12:31   #70
SeaFields

Quote:
seafields i heard from a local angler that ballinlough lake is no longer stocked and that the angling club has disbanded. Also there's a beautiful lake near reanascreena called Corran lake which is a stunningly beautiful lake on top of a hill, but because of litter, damage, open gates etc the local land owners have closed it off.
Ah Jesus thats a pity. Its a stunning lake and used fish very well all the time. Its where I caught my very first brown trout - albeit a stockie. I imagine that there must still be a few brownies in it and they may even start spawning.

My experience with farmers like that is that if you ask permission, even if they are after closing a place, they will let you fish away if you are genuine. Having a fly rod in tow generally helps (as opposed to a bait rod and a bag of cans).

Disaster of a trip Doc but shur there's a couple of weeks in the season left and with the weather supposed to settle there may be some good fishing to be had in next few weeks.
07-09-2009, 12:47   #71
mp22

[quote=Doc Farrell;61982852
then the rain came down and stayed down, massive clouds of it.[/quote]
It seems every time you put foot in west cork the rain gods are out to get you (they get us nearly every day down here)
07-09-2009, 14:16   #72
SeaFields

+1

We could do a poll....Is Doc Farrell the unluckiest angler you ever heard of?!
Thanks from:
07-09-2009, 16:55   #73
mp22

Quote:
+1

We could do a poll....Is Doc Farrell the unluckiest angler you ever heard of?!
Consider this i live within 25 miles of leap and i had to bring some one who was staying with us for the weekend up to the railway station yesterday evening.A taxi from leap to kent station is not cheap.On the plus side the fishing is cr*p at the minute rivers and lakes are very high.
Thanks from:
08-09-2009, 00:10   #74
Doc Farrell

I was talking to an english angler today on shepperton Lake and he said that Ballinlough is open if you have the permit given out to fish shepperton, he said it's all under the remit of the SWAFB.

got no fishing in again because as soon as i touched a rod, in the boot of a broken car on the back of a lorry it would start to rain.

i went down to the Long Strand near Rosscarbery and it lashed down just as i was tying on an unsuitable fly for sea bass.

i found a beautiful labrador who had a phone no on her collar so i rang the owner and she was very grateful. i shared a bun and a packet of chicken flavoured crisps with her, the dog that is, not the owner.

five hours in the truck and here i am. now i have some pictures of ballinlough lake (the lake part of the name is redundant, isn't it?) and Shepperton Lake. excuse me while i fiddle with these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ballinlough.jpg (485.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Shepperton Lake 2.jpg (465.8 KB, 91 views)
08-09-2009, 00:15   #75
Doc Farrell

there were a series of a dozen floating barrels on ballinlough, i'm hoping it is something to do with a fish or environmental programme and not just randomn barrels!

here's a picture, not very good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image0028.jpg (9.2 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Shepperton Lake.jpg (737.9 KB, 85 views)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion