Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Value HDMI Cable for €6.49.

Options
  • 09-07-2009 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

I saw this deal in my local Tesco. A Tesco Value HDMI for €6.49. They aren't in any packaging or anything, just a tag around them. I thought it was a good price and might save ye purchasing a cheap one on the internet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Gregsor

What is the length of the cable?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I heard after a hours use horrible blue and white stripes appear on the screen :D

I joke

Good spot OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

sugarman wrote: »
    :eek:INFLATION! They used to be only either €3.99 or €4.99 not too long ago:mad:

and that was for a philips one :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I'm not sure of the length, possibly 1.8 metres but don't hold me to that.

My Tesco never stocked those cheap Philips HDMI cables. They had some Philips one but it was over €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Which Tesco is your local one mate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭onlinegamer

correction., Once apon a time ago the philips ones where only 2.50 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

correction., Once apon a time ago the philips ones where only 2.50 :)

Now they were a bargain!:)

They were 2 metres and all which is probably more than the one's the OP saw! Bought a couple of them myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the Tesco ones were gold plated, well they were gold in colour any way.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Unless its a gold plated monster cable at least 2m long & worth over €100, its not worth buying, far superior then the "cheap" ones

throws out the bait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

Hey Y'all,

I just picked up this cable after seeing it listed here. It's 1m and not gold plated.
    It seems to work ok - using it with Blu-Ray player and LCD TV at 1080p.

While on the cheap side at €6.50 (that's cheap compared to rip off Ireland prices of ~€30) I don't think it's great value. It looks a really cheaply made cable, no details on the packaging (in fact no packaging - just a tag on the cable for the bar-code). It doesn't have gold plated connectors and doesn't appear to have much in the way of shielding or armour (probably not an issue for 1m lenght). Many of the cables appeared damaged around the connectors but I found 1 that appeared ok.

I think the Wharfedale 1m HDMI To HDMI Cable from Argos at €7.50 represents better value. €2.99-€3.99 or so might be a good value price for the Tesco cable. They have another cable (1.5m) that looks slightly better but it's overpriced at about €20, and a 'Pro' cable for about €45.

Cheap doesn't always equate to good value. Unless you need a cable in a hurry (as I did) I'd order online. Most Argos locations in Dublin seem to be out of stock on the afore mentioned Warfedale :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

$4.61 that's about €3.31 delivered from DealExtreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Funnily enough I was looking for one of these recently, the only one in tesco was a Philips 2m for €26(!). Dealextreme got my business that day.

Keith C wrote: »
    Unless its a gold plated monster cable at least 2m long & worth over €100, its not worth buying, far superior then the "cheap" ones

throws out the bait

He..he.. bait taken methinks! :D

Seriously, I only buy HDMI cables with gold plated connectors, snake skin cable covering and inlaid mother of pearl. Anything else in completely inferior and won't upscale to the correct resolution. :rolleyes:

More bait, any takers this time I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Oracle wrote: »
    He..he.. bait taken methinks! :D

Seriously, I only buy HDMI cables with gold plated connectors, snake skin cable covering and inlaid mother of pearl. Anything else in completely inferior and won't upscale to the correct resolution. :rolleyes:

More bait, any takers this time I wonder?

Indeed sure when you've spent over a grand on a fancy TV .don't you at least need to spend over a 100€ to complement it!:D

....Was gonna link to a monster cable in argos but clearly they dont sell them anymore. Must show how well they sold when they did!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Dman001 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the Tesco ones were gold plated, well they were gold in colour any way.:)

Checked it in Tesco Tallaght, they are not gold plated.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

Quick update on this cable...

After a few hours of use - no unplugging or moving the cable or devices... just watching disks - the cable started to give problems.

Panasonic DB-60 showing error code U73, this is an error to do with the HDMI connection. Tried resetting player to no avail, tried another el-chepo 5m cable I bought online last year and it works fine.

I'll be bringing this one back any buying online. :mad:

Steer clear if you intend using for 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

... shipping is £1.99 per item, so £4.14 (€4.82) for the cable delivered.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Oracle wrote: »
    ... shipping is £1.99 per item, so £4.14 (€4.82) for the cable delivered.

But if you buy four of them, I assume you pay shipping just once?

Good deal either way, anyone any experience of them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

gold plated cables should not affect DIGITAL signals.

gold plated cables should ONLY be used if the equipment also has gold plated sockets.

otherwise you will get galvanic corrosion and possibly thermocouple/seebeck effect.

....... otherwise you will get galvanic corrosion and possibly thermocouple/seebeck effect.

Oh my gawd! Oh no, anything but galvanic corrosion and possibly thermocouple/seebeck effect!! Noooooo........ help me I'm doomed! :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

€4.99 Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Are the argos ones ever in stock?

If you're stuck, you can always get one for €131.99 in Currys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Onikage wrote: »
    Are the argos ones ever in stock?

If you're stuck, you can always get one for €131.99 in Currys.

Great find, I might pick couple of them from Currys and keep them as backups :p

Daylight robbery :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

€4.99 Dublin city centre.

That's a good price if they are in stock and you can go to a Peats store to collect it, but
    A delivery charge will be added to the total above - Republic of Ireland: €14.00

charging €14 for delivery ? I don't think so.....

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

I saw one in heatons yesterday. € 8.00 for 2m with the gold connectors. Looked far superior to the one that was in Tesco.
    Was not a recognised brand but definitely worth the extra € 1.50 when compared to the tesco one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bunsers

Thanks Oracle
    Just ordered a HDMI cable from dealextreme. I have done a little bit of homework on them and I am lead to believe that its not worth spending big money on a HDMI cable, the cheaper ones are just as good. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

There must be something wrong with that one, Peats are selling them for €30 , and peats are an 'Irish' business :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭klingklang

The Ritz wrote: »
    That's a good price if they are in stock and you can go to a Peats store to collect it
    I picked up 2 in Peats on Parnell St on Friday. They weren't on display (the €29.99 ones were!) they are stashed in a cabinet underneath the wall display. The helpful member of staff knew exactly where they were when I asked for the €4.99 cables.

Advertisement