Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experienced Shop Mechanic Available - Bicycle Repair

Options
  • 04-07-2009 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=126255

Hi All,

If you are looking to have your bike serviced to a top standard, while you wait send me a PM, I am a highly experienced cycle mechanic. Most shops these days do not give your bike the quality of service it deserves, some dont accept repairs if you have not bought the bike from them, and they all charge an extravagant rate for what they do.

So you can call to my workshop, or I offer a mobile service, you can buy your own parts and have them fitted while you wait or I can supply the required components for the job.

I also offer cycle repair lessons covering the basics all the way to repairing buckled wheels, maintaining bottom brackets, headsets etc.

Rates are very reasonable, PM for more details.

Some feedback from Boards / Adverts Customers:
    Called out to Mr Skeffington for bike maintenance lesson last night. Would highly recommend it for beginners and more experienced bike enthusiasts.
    After only 2 hrs or so, I am confident I can service my own bike (better than most bike shops) and save myself a few quid on any problems that might arise in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=126255

Hi All,

If you are looking to have your bike serviced to a top standard, while you wait send me a PM, I am a highly experienced cycle mechanic. Most shops these days do not give your bike the quality of service it deserves, some dont accept repairs if you have not bought the bike from them, and they all charge an extravagant rate for what they do.

So you can call to my workshop, or I offer a mobile service, you can buy your own parts and have them fitted while you wait or I can supply the required components for the job.

I also offer cycle repair lessons covering the basics all the way to repairing buckled wheels, maintaining bottom brackets, headsets etc.

Rates are very reasonable, PM for more details.

Some feedback from Boards / Adverts Customers:
    Called out to Mr Skeffington for bike maintenance lesson last night. Would highly recommend it for beginners and more experienced bike enthusiasts.
    After only 2 hrs or so, I am confident I can service my own bike (better than most bike shops) and save myself a few quid on any problems that might arise in the future.

Why you not working in a shop??

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

Kona,

Im doing this on a part time basis, I have a regular 9-5 which pays more than working as a mechanic in a bike shop. I worked in bike shops for years during summers and part time when I was in college studying Engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭thebourke

just saw your post...i bought bike about a year ago of eurocycles on the long mile road..i have had no end of problems with the bike...i paid 280e for this bike..apparently the bottom bracket is rusted....i took it to a biks shop to get it looked at but they couldnt get the bottom bracket out...
    are you based in dublin?
    if you are, could you have a look at the bike and see what you think?

Sure, I can take a look at it for you, sometimes when bottom bracket cups are seized into a frame they can be extremely difficult to get out. Im based in Dublin by the way, on the Northside in Artane area.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Happy days, bookmarked :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

hey I'd be interested in this, recently lost two spokes on front wheel and chain and gears are giving probs, will ye PM the details costs etc (rough is fine) it's a Trek 3900 cheers

Hi Hick,

Just sent a PM with more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 matt 81

I dropped out last week to be shown how to swap out a bottom bracket, well impressed! Fairly confident I can do it myself from now on, Mr.Skeffington knows his stuff, very professional and a lot more informative than most bike shops, I'll definitely be back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 anywhichway69

Very good idea by the way - the service in bike shops these days is non existant. Cyclelogical don't do repairs :eek:, cycleways charge car prices for a service and only take bikes in when it suits them. Nice to see someone thinking outside the box to earn a few quid and provide a service that's needed.

I'm sure I'll be giving you a shout in the future. Can you PM me your price grades for services - the link to the ad is firewalled in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 soulsurf

I had a bike service lesson on Saturday eve.. very practical and Mr. Skeffington takes the time to explain everything properly and patiently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I got Mr. Skeffington to give my bike the once over after I, eh, fell off and knocked the rear derailleur outta whack. Turned out it wasn't broken, but after a good inspection the bike gears got a tune up, re-greasing of all the cables, brake tune up and he even cleaned my jockey wheels. Man I'm lazy. Anyway, no hesitation here in recommending him.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

Hi all just met up with Mr Skevington this evening for some lessions and guidance on how to look after by road bike. I have to say i was very impressed with what i learned and the tips also. Turned out my bike needed a few adjustments and its only a week old. And more importantly my puncture issues have been sorted yipeee.
    I would recommend anyone to meet him and learn/get your bike serviced.
    Im just back in from a 25K cycle and man the bike is as sweet as a nut.

Con
    1 Happy customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Have dealt with Mr.Skeffington over on adverts.ie

Got some good wheels at a good price. A good seller
    Even if the house is a loooooooonnnnnnng walk from the Luas stop :pac:

Might check you out next time my Trek 1200 need a service.
    I'm ashamed to say I pay others to fix punctures, I don't know how to do it myself :o

Yep, I'm sure it's easy when you know how. And I don't....

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

I popped out to Mr Skeffington today to get bike serviced for long cycle next week. Happy to say that he offered a very pleasant and informative service and gears and brakes adjusted as required. He also showed me how to fix a puncture and a buckle in a very relaxed and confident way. Will definitely be back!

Think you will be one busy man in the near future Mr Skeffington!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Mr. Skeffington,

Are you equipped to do bike builds? What would you charge?

I would love to build my next bike, but am lacking tools and skills. It would be great to learn alongside someone who knows what they're doing.

Hi Lumen,

Bike builds are not a problem, I have a full set up with all required tools for all different groupset manufacturers. Also have a full wheel building set up including jig, dishing tools and tensiometer etc. My set up is as good as / better than most bike shops.

Have built a number of high end bikes this year including: track, full carbon road and full carbon TT. Can also do swap overs and full refurbs, completely stripped a Trek and re-built on a new frame for a customer a couple of weeks back.

Will PM you some more information.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mr. Skeffington,
    Have you much experience wheel truing or building wheels from scratch. Working on wheels is something I hate doing and it would be nice to find someone reliable around?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 donalgeraghty

hello,i am a member of castlebar cycling club.

i am wondering do you do courses in bicycle mechanic to become qualified

would you now of anyone that trains bicycle mechanics.

and

could you put on a course in bicycle maintainance and repair to members of the club?

maybe you should go down that route,traininng clubs basic bike maintainance and repair?

www.castlebarcyclingclub.com

El tonto, yes building and truing not a problem give me a shout the next time you need a job done.

Hi Donal, I am currently putting together a couple of different maintanance courses for club riders and groups, (beginners, intermediate and advanced). I would be interested in running a course for your club I will send you a PM with some details.

To become qualified as a bike mechanic there are City & Guilds courses in the UK, they are 10 days long and cover all aspects. I am not aware of any accredited course in Ireland. There used to be a FAS cycling course which was 1 year long but that is no longer running, it was a great little course, covered coaching, mechanics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Hi Folks had the skeff over with me there on Thursday, he called to my place which was very handy! Would definitely recommend him if you are interested in picking up a how to do a few things yourself and getting good value for money.

In fairness he also picked me up two new wheels for a very reasonable price rather than just fixing up my originals which he did anyway so I now have spares.

Thanks again!
    Hick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Mr. Skeffington came over and gave a tutorial on bike maintenance to me and a few of the lads for a couple of hours last night.

I can't recommend him highly enough: knows his stuff inside out but explains it in an easy to follow way and we covered a wide range of tasks and charges are more than reasonable. He was a gent to boot and I'd advise anyone looking to learn about taking care of a bike or with problems to fix to give him a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Was over with Mr Skeff this evening. Got thru an amazing amt of work. Changed a crankset, replaced cables, worked on adjusting gears and brakes. Finally tackled my nemisis of working with deraileurs. Also had my rear wheel trued.

I found this a great use of time - I will hope to put a lot of the lesson to good use over the next few weeks.

Mr Skeff is patient and a really good teacher. Everything that we covered was repeated so that I could see and try what we were doing.

If you own a bike, this is invaluabale training. Even more so when you consider (1) how much moaning we do abot bike shops and (2) the amount that we spend on servicings.

Thanks for the lesson. I would highly recommend this.
    As I left, another boardsie arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

ROK ON wrote: »
    As I left, another boardsie arrived.

That other boardsie being me. Good to see you again ROK ON!

I can only echo what everyone here has said, Mr Skeff is a good guy, expains everything as he goes and answers any questions you ask. He really does take very good care of the bike, and treats it like his own. (And his bike is very nice!)

We went through a few things like adjustiung the deraileurs (which there are plenty of good links for but seeing it done and asking questions is the best way to learn) he took apart the headset which was quite dirty and cleaned it all up and popped it back in. He even had time to take out the brake cables and show me how to do it, clean them check for damage and pop them back in.

The best recommendation is to say that i will be going back again for what ever needs attention next, and the best part is if i want to learn how to do these things i can.

Thanks again Mr. Skeff

• Registered Users Posts: 48 donal_mcg

I was over with Mr Skeff with two bikes on Friday, a full service (resetting brakes/deraileurs/ fixing wheel buckles) on road bike, and deraileur replacement on MTB. Everything that was done was explained, hows & whys, and I feel pretty confident about tackling these things myself in the future. He also gave some pretty good tips on bike set-up & future maintenance and also some training tips.
    1hr 15mins watching & listening to him was very worthwhile, I learned more in that time than I have in days on the web reading and watching how to do the same. Highly Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭DonVincenzo

Just back from the home of Monsieur Skeffington.

I am fairly disasterous at looking after my Giant FCR commuter. I love the bike, but I am afraid my years of neglect had finally caught up on my rothar!!

I went in to Skeff with a dead front derailler, a cassette that was skipping about every time I changed gear (which meant I was cycling single speed most of the time), two buckled wheels & brakes that didn't brake!!

I cycled home this evening with the bike looking & feeling like the day I picked it up. Am bloody delighted altogether & learned tonnes about sorting all the probs highlighted above.

I will be going back with my road bike to get a few niggley things sorted & learn some more.

Thanks for your help Mr Skeff

The Don

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ruippo

Big thanks to Skeff.

I had minor problems with my single-speed (replacing tube, adjusting brakes) but during the hour or so I learned alot more. As a beginner I also got good tips on general maintenance. I feel confident to give minor service to my bike by myself in the future, just need to get few tools. With bigger issues, I'll be taking my bike to Skeff.

I'm off to dem streets again.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

got my bike looked at by Mr S last nite, needed some tidying up, new cables and adjusting and few other bits.

Very happy with the work, and good to be able to see what's being done to your bike by someone who knows what they're at. He also gave me some good tips and things to watch out for on the bike.

Will use again and highly recommended.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Praising Mr. Skeffington is becoming seriously monotonous ;) However, I going to have to continue....

Had my touring bike serviced yesterday. Good guy, knows his stuff and bike running like new.

DFD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭DJsail

Well based on the excellent reports I'm sure I'll be calling in soon for a service, any chance you could PM me the details when you get a chance?

Cheers

• Advertisement

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback, dont forget me if you need any repair work done on your bikes. Also I am continuing to run the repair lessons for those wishing to learn the basics of bike maintenance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement