Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AA discount

Options
  • 03-07-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭

roadside cover is currently €104

https://secure.aaireland.ie/personal-membership/

join online at aaireland.ie/rescueoffer and quote CORE79

and get roadside cover for €79

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Can't find anywhere to plug in that code. They've put the general price up to €139 since you posted that, I'm pretty sure the extras have gone up too, and the renewal section of their horrendous new website doesn't work. I think the AA can go f*ck themselves this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

my bad

use

https://secure.aaireland.ie/rescueoffer/Default.asp

and the code CORE79

it still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

I dont think ill be re joining myself this year, it was just over 270 euro. Seems a lot of money. Maybe ill just reduce the cover anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

im deffo not going with them, left them a year ago,
    when i realised my motorbike insurance had cover similar that was included in my fee.
    they just keep on spamming me with emails and post.

the only thing i found handy was the replacement car if i broke down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

My concern about the bundled breakdown cover would be coverage. I have visions of myself broken down in the back of beyonds with a van en-route from Dublin, ETA 7 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

rameire wrote: »
    roadside cover is currently 104

https://secure.aaireland.ie/personal-membership/

join online at aaireland.ie/rescueoffer and quote CORE79

and get roadside cover for 79

Thanks for that mate, i rang up to cancel or at least reduce it down to the road rescue only and when i heard price of road recue i said it was to much and id like to cancel, she then gave it to me for the 79 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Think I'll stick with my free break down assistance with my insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lpm

I think as pointed out by Dahamsta the bundled in road resuce from your insurance company can be limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

lpm wrote: »
    I think as pointed out by Dahamsta the bundled in road resuce from your insurance company can be limited.

Allianz have pretty comprehensive roadside assist covergage (including home start) and I'm sure others do too

Also the service is pretty comprehensive so they recovery vans aren't just clustered around Dublin. Hibernian have their own fleet but any others I know of use the likes of Mondial etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Still working. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Paying the AA is akin to paying someone to mug you, their service and response times are abysmal, got the Axa breakdown cover inc with policy and its 2nd to none, most times have you on the road or towed within the hour of calling.

Who can remember the AA phone boxes and the special key to open them?

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I'm very fond of the AA myself, whenever my car breaks down there out in a fairly reasonable time (they send the local garage)

The problem with insurance provided breakdown assist is that some will only tow you to their garage. You have no control over what happens. The AA will tow it to your house if you want.

As regards their alleged poor response times, The AA often use the same recovery guys as say the insurance companies so in some areas it won't matter who you are with the same people will show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Is this not what they're selling cheap in Dunnes Stores still?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Kevin! wrote: »
    I'm very fond of the AA myself, whenever my car breaks down there out in a fairly reasonable time (they send the local garage)
    Likewise. I've owned a string of old cars and they've always been really helpful. They even flat-bedded a car home from Dublin Port for me despite that service not being covered on the policy. Being able to get any car home is a huge plus.

Last year they priced me out though, given the insurance cover I had. Having not used any breakdown service in over a year I couldn't justify paying for two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

When I was covered by them, I had to call them out at 2am once when I hit a badger on teh M4 near Maynooth and my fuel tank was ruptured. They arrived within 40 minutes and towed the car home to Maynooth for me and then showed up again at 8am to tow it to the nearest main dealer. Great service.

I bet they're getting a lot of new members signing up in this weather :D:D

Hence the no more free home start.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

well they are the same guys!
    Sub contractors on regional level. If AA takes 7 hrs, probably because all of them are busy some where else.
    Second point, how often you use them. If you drive a fair new/ well serviced car chances of using them is almost negligible.
    Most of us keep it just in case and I think it makes no sense paying a lot of money for just in case that you may never use.

It is handy when you drive a 15 year old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

One years AA membership is €66 if you buy in Dunnes Stores. Saw it in Dunnes in Maynooth yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Is it €66 no matter what age your car is?

Correct. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mailblaney

66 sounds pretty good. always wondered how comprehensive my breakdown cover with quinn is. very hard to know until you breakdown (touch wood and all that). anyone any experiences with quinn direct breakdown assist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

mailblaney wrote: »
    66 sounds pretty good. always wondered how comprehensive my breakdown cover with quinn is. very hard to know until you breakdown (touch wood and all that). anyone any experiences with quinn direct breakdown assist?

AFAIK you get 1 call out a year with Quinn, think the AA is unlimited (however you pay after the 3rd or 4th time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mailblaney

AFAIK you get 1 call out a year with Quinn, think the AA is unlimited (however you pay after the 3rd or 4th time).

thanks, I'm due to renew at the end of the month, so I will examine policy in detail and report back.

You pay after the 6th call out with the AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What? You pay for a breakdown service and then they make you pay for it again if you have to bad fourtune to have to use them frequently. This just gets better, the AXA beakdown guys are all local and will tow you whereever you want to go, including home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I have been looking to renew the wife's car insurance - she had a claim in 2008 with no roll-back protection on her policy, so last year I just had to pay up. This year she got a renewal quote of 620 from her current insurer so I went looking again. The AA website finally has an online quotation facility and gave me a great quote of 480, but it was impossible to get back in and review it after I had saved all the details.

I rang them up and a very nice lady called up the quote, took some more details and 2 or 3 times came back with lower quotes again - eventually quoting 360!!. I jumped at it. She also tried to sell me breakdown recovery for 79 and would have given me another 20 off the insurance if I had!!

I think I'll be giving them some more business...

Advertisement