Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Beans

Options
  • 25-06-2009 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭

Ever since I became a full vegetarian beans have become a much more important part of my life, and a very important part of my vegetarianism. Nothing beats a bean (imo) when it comes to protein substitutes, nuts are nuts, and tofu kills the forests. So beaaaans!

Anyway, looking to expand my bean portfolio I'd like to know what all of your favourite beans are and why.

So far my favourite beans are kidney beans; they have protein iron, ad the fact that they can poisen you horribly if they are not cooked right is something I find very romantic... maybe that's a bad adjective for that, but still!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

kidney beans have to be cooked right? crap I sometimes just eat them out of the can!!!! please tell me the canned type must be already cooked or something? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Yup, all canned kidney beans are cooked :).. it's pretty hard to find uncooked ones, But you can find bags of dried uncooked kidney beans if you looked hard enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

CHICK PEAS CHICK PEAS CHICK PEAS!!

i absolutely LOVE them, it the only thing i buy regularly! id eat them from the can! (yea iv never done the proper soak thing just cans :( )

num num num

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Can't pick a favourite, so my top five would have to be butterbeans, flageolet beans, black-eyed beans, cannellini beans and kidney beans.

-lala- wrote: »
    Can't pick a favourite, so my top five would have to be butterbeans, flageolet beans, black-eyed beans, cannellini beans and kidney beans.

chick peas?? :( (says i with a mouth full of chickpea salad)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I go between chickpeas, kindney beans and butter beans. I cook them from their raw form and then freeze them in small portions, so the choice is there depending on the meal. I recently just mushed up some chickpeas coarsely with a fork, added some vegan mayo and spread it on toast (primitive form of hummous I guess). Yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I use red kidney beans to bulk out stuff, work great, quite bland. Tinned are cooked as mentioned. Almost all canned good is heat sterilized so it actually lasts indefinitely. BB dates on cans are a more recent thing, and it is mainly marketing, i.e. they do not want old labels still in stores, or shops buying in bulk and having really old tatty faded labels on them.

I sometimes get normal baked beans and rinse the tomato sauce off and use my own, they are really cheap, so are some kidney beans.

For cheap chickpeas head to the asian shops, one in blackrock market in dublin has huge tins which are quite cheap. They also sell gram flour which is very high in protein and very low GI and is made from stuff similar to chickpeas.

maameeo wrote: »
    chick peas?? :( (says i with a mouth full of chickpea salad)

Only when I'm in a chickpea kind of mood!

I also love haricot beans actually. There was a lovely recipe for homemade baked beans in the Irish Times mag about a year ago, it tastes yummy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

raah! wrote: »
    Ever since I became a full vegetarian beans have become a much more important part of my life, and a very important part of my vegetarianism. Nothing beats a bean (imo) when it comes to protein substitutes, nuts are nuts, and tofu kills the forests. So beaaaans!

There are other pulses, y'know :-)

1. Red lentils (one of my superfoods) - cooked to mush, plain
    2. Cocoa beans *smirks*
    3. Edamame/ frozen fresh soybeans
    4. Butter beans
    5. Black eyed peas

Dem's good eatin', right up there...

There are other pulses, y'know :-)

1. Red lentils (one of my superfoods) - cooked to mush, plain
    2. Cocoa beans *smirks*
    3. Edamame/ frozen fresh soybeans
    4. Butter beans
    5. Black eyed peas

Dem's good eatin', right up there...

Yumm - I love red lentils! :) (and green ones)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Chickpeas and butterbeans are the ones most acceptable to me as of yet! Beans seem bland but they are good added into soemthing.

anyone like those spicy bean burgers (frozen ones, ya know i cants cook! :P )
    i love em!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

maameeo wrote: »
    anyone like those spicy bean burgers (frozen ones, ya know i cants cook! :P )
    i love em!

Not a vegetarian, but I LOVE them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Kidney beans for me...you can get the dried variety in any indian food shop.

we cook them in pressure cooker.

i love them spicy bean burger thingies...only one in my family who does.
    i

Fad wrote: »
    Not a vegetarian, but I LOVE them!

i know!!! arnt they great! id love one now! dammit! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

chickpeas, kidney beans and butter beans...I also like pinto beans but not as much. I like the fleshy goodness of beans :) yum yum beans bum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Heheheheh, not many vegetarians go about using terms like "fleshy goodness" :D.

Advertisement