Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liverpool FC vs Dunmanway FC - 6th August

Options
  • 25-06-2009 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Liverpool FC will be playing Dunmanway FC at the Maria Immaculate Community College (in Dunmanway) on August 6th - any predictions for the result...?

I'm betting on Dunmanway!:)

Apparently the Liverpool team will be taking it easy at the Inchydoney Lodge and Spa, so maybe they'll be just a little too relaxed!

Oh, just so you know, 3000 tickets max.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Ticket info anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

finbarrk wrote: »
    Ticket info anyone?

http://westcorkleague.com/Liverpool.html

Info there on tickets, trying to increase capacity to 5000 apparently so tickets not yet on sale.

There's an email address given that you can try to book tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Sold out?:( and they went on sale this morning? woah thats not very fair

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Sorry for the doublepost but it says in an email I got

On Thursday August 6th a Liverpool XI will play a match against Dunmanway Town FC XI at the Maria Immaculata Community College, Dunmanway.Does this mean its just like the games that were on in Turners Cross?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Any spare ticket out there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wanted to go to this could'nt get a ticket :'(.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭lukin

Wanted to go to this could'nt get a ticket :'(.

Wouldn't worry about it, it's not actually Liverpool, it's a "Liverpool XI selection".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Its not the first team - its a reserved team :( WTF would want to go?

Apparently Dunmanway town will be on lockdown tomorrow for a bunch of nobodys

JP Liz wrote: »
    Its not the first team - its a reserved team :( WTF would want to go?

Apparently Dunmanway town will be on lockdown tomorrow for a bunch of nobodys

Yeah I saw the team Liverpool are putting out tomorrow. Haven't heard of a single one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

lukin wrote: »
    Yeah I saw the team Liverpool are putting out tomorrow. Haven't heard of a single one of them!

Where can I see the team?

• Advertisement

NedTermo wrote: »
    Where can I see the team?

It was in yesterday's Examiner, haven't seen it anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

THE club’s marquee names may be in transit between Oslo and Madrid, but Liverpool reserve team manager John McMahon is still determined to put on a football spectacle in Dunmanway this afternoon.

6,000 fans will be shoehorned into Maria Immaculata College come kick-off today at 2pm and McMahon is firmly aware of the ticket frenzy that his charges arrival to West Cork has sparked. Last night McMahon spearheaded a 25-man strong party that touched down in the Inchydoney Lodge Hotel in Clonakilty and the feverish atmosphere surrounding this match was encapsulated by the crowd that gathered to greet them.

"It’s really great to receive such a welcome," remarked McMahon. "We’ve had a great welcome from the Irish people already which is nice for the lads to see and witness. We’re well aware of the big support the club has in Ireland. We’re renowned for having a big following all over the world, but I don’t think until we actually arrived in Ireland and saw the reception were the players properly aware of the crowd. It’d be nice to put on a good show for those fans now and hopefully we can do that."

McMahon is well-versed in the rich traditions of Liverpool as a football force, as his older brother Steve was a midfield general during the 80s, amassing three league titles and two FA Cup crowns. Having spent almost four years with Shrewsbury Town, John assumed the role of head of Liverpool’s reserves at the start of June. The seeds had already been sown previously regarding the club sending a Liverpool side to Dunmanway and McMahon was happy to bring the idea to fruition.

"There was already some sort of a game in place, through Gary Ablett the previous reserve team manager. When I took over, David (Hall, the Dunmanway player) then contacted myself to say the plan was in place and would we still play the game. He sold the idea to me and it just snowballed since then. It’s really nice for the younger lads to come over and see how well they’re received in Ireland."

For casual observers the side may be devoid of star quality, but some of the players at McMahon’s disposal have already made serious strides. Captain Stephen Darby has graduated to the first team last season, featuring as a late substitute against PSV Eindhoven in the Champions League last December, while Hungarian Krisztian Nemeth and Spaniard Daniel Pacheco Lobato have been involved with the first team in this summer’s pre-season circuit. McMahon insists that this match is a critical component of the squad’s overall development.

We’ve got a lot of young lads, so of course this is important. It’s all part of their education. To travel right, how to prepare right, playing at different venues and playing different teams. It’s a massive thing for us as staff to see how they react and adapt to it.

"This is the first time this season, we’ve been away as a group. There are a lot of new faces, both staff and players. We’ve had several games already this summer, playing the likes of Notts County, Bristol Rovers, Cambridge United and Tranmere Rovers. This is the start of a big season. For some it’s about finding their feet at reserve team level, for others it’s about pushing onto the first team squad."

The head honcho at the club will be keeping a keen eye on the progression of McMahon’s proteges.

"Rafa Benitez is always looking at games, always looking at the DVDs of games. He’s always looking for reports, he’s very serious on how the reserves are playing and doing, and the finer details of players progression. The youth setup is massive for us. Every club looks to bring through their own players and it’s the same for supporters. Obviously it saves everyone a lot of money now, if players come through."

McMahon confesses his dossier on today’s opponents is not extensive. But there’ll be no chance of complacency creeping into the Liverpool camp.

"We don’t really play against amateur teams as it’s normally professionals we’re up against. But they’ll have League of Ireland players playing so that should make it a stern enough test. We’ll treat them with respect. We’ll have our normal pre-match meeting. It’ll be the same as the setup for a Reserve Premier League game. But we’re really looking forward to it and we hope it’ll be a great spectacle."

maybe die hard Kop fans will know the names

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Still a good thing for Dunmanway regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Of course were only sending over kids and reserves..as if any member of the first team squad was going to be let near this game..I think stephen darby may come over and then not too sure about the rest havnt seen the squad we brought so..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What was the score?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

The excitement must have been electric. What a brilliant idea to bring such excitement to the town! Heard Liverpool were 1-0 up at half time but never heard after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Yup liverpool won. 1-0. Pacheo scored a free kick.

Here is the goal, props to jesus_thats_gre over in the liverpool forum :) for the video

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

Heard it was a great occasion. Sorry I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

Did the captain's wife have the baby yet?

Advertisement