Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online shop software

Options
  • 23-06-2009 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

as per my last thread, it appears there are an increasing number of off-the-shelf solutions for DIY websites. (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055586366)
    there's also quite a few forum and blog software packages to choose from, with minimal skills required. i'm currently researching creating an online shop, and i'm looking for a similar solution. i have experience with using oscommerce (frontend and admin area), but i have no development or php skills.

are there any online shop software packages out there that can be set up and customised by someone without php knowledge?

all help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

also, i much prefer to use open source software where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

Have you looked at Magento? Other options include - VirtueMart with Joomla, osCommerce or ZenCart.

Another route you could look at is paying someone to manage the ecommerce setup for you. For example for £75 you can get the latest version of ZenCart installed with some additional modules also installed. I am sure if you do a google search you will find other companies offering similar services for your chosen ecommerce platform. If you do not have any php or development skills then it might be a worthwhile cost effective approach.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 littlegreenman

I've found that you need a little skill in html, css and possibly PHP to use a lot of the cart software that's out there. If you have a big product library then Magento is probably the one you need to use - although I've found through clients that it can be a bit of learning curve involved. If your product base is small and you don't expect it to grow to any great size in the foreseeble future, then Joomla and VirtueMart is probably the handiest. All the information is on the web to learn how to use all these open source programs. If going on your own, it really depends on how much time you have to swat up. If you're starting up a business you may be busy doing other start-up things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

the company needs a HUGE product library right from the get-go.
    i know i said i prefer open source software, but i came across this: http://www.interspire.com/shoppingcart/
    There is a good demo here (I haven't watched all of it, but it looks good): http://static.interspire.com/isc-demo/index.html

have you any experience of interspire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 TheHoban

OScommerce can look rather nice with some minor CSS edits, all which can be picked up rather quickly with google ;)

Other than that it's another vote for Magento from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭daymobrew

TheHoban wrote: »
    OScommerce can look rather nice with some minor CSS edits, all which can be picked up rather quickly with google ;)
    Zen Cart is an enhanced version of osCommerce - it is osC with a ton of modules built in.
    One of the most useful features is the template override system - you don't have to change any core file to change the look of the store, you simply create a new page with your changes and these override the core version.

Advertisement