Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nice place to spend a night in midlands ?

Options
  • 17-06-2009 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

I am looking for a recommendation of a place to stay for 1 night in the midlands. We are travelling to Cavan for a wedding on the sat and want to have a few hours of the journey done. We were thinking of Athlone or Mulligar or Tullamore or could you recommend any other nice place to stay for a night. We are travelling from Kerry after work on the Friday evening so only want to do a 3 hour drive or so. We feel the full journey to Cavan would be alot and we would have plenty of time in the morning to do a 2 hour drive. All suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

What's the price range? If you really really want to treat yourself try the wineport lodge. Great place, amazing food, local produce, local chef. Quiet pricey, but its a once a year thing.

www.wineport.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

avoid wineport.

one of the most overpriced restaurants in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Stay in the Shamrock or the Sheraton reasonably priced... Both are very central with plenty of restaurants and pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Days Hotel Tullamore is lovely, Maldron Hotel Portlaoise also good

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    avoid wineport.

one of the most overpriced restaurants in the country.

No, have you been there recently? There is a lighter fare menu, very very reasonable for what it is, it includes variations of the signature dishes, amazing food.

Last time I was there it cost 140 Euro for the two of us including a bottle of wine and two glasses of wine, the food was amazing.

I know it's pricey, but we see it as a treat about three times a year, well worth it, may not be your scene Seaneh, but some people like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Im a chef, good food is my scene, so no, wine port isnt my scene, not at their prices, not after working there and know the production costs of the dishes. they had 3 great young chefs (shane, jenny and linda) working under fergal but i really wouldnt pay those prices.

id actually just avoide athlone if i was looking for a break in the midlands, stay somewhere on the lake and come in if you really want to.

Actually, i just remembered, wine port were doing 1 nights b&b and a meal for two for 99 per person sharing (double room) a while back, if they are still doing that then yes, go to wine port, thats a great price as the hotel is gorgeous and the setting is amazingly pretty, but i stil stand by what i said above.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Im a chef, good food is my scene, so no, wine port isnt my scene, not at their prices, not after working there

I am a customer, good food is my scene too! I have been to lots of restaurants all over the country and the Wine Port is excellent! I would imagine that working in a place would taint your feelings about it. Particularly if you left on bad terms.

I don't think you have to be a chef to appreciate good food, service and ambiance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What about St Mels?
    Theres loads of empty houses there now :D

Advertisement