Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows

Options
  • 10-06-2009 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi All

I have recently gotten quotes back from Senator, Munster Joinery and various local suppliers.

All the local suppliers come in at around €9000 - €9500 for double glazed (u-value range from 1.4 - 1.6 for the entire window).

While Munster Joinery come in at €6500 for double glazed (u-value of 1.6), but surprisingly they have a triple glazed option which come in at €8500 (u-value of 1.2).

Senator on the other hand come in at 12,000 for double glazing (u-value of 1.4).

This is for 33 windows + 3 French Doors + 1 Back Door (Front door not quoted.). All windows are tilt and turn.

My question relates to peoples experiences with their windows and what I should be looking out for. I understand that I should be careful to ensure the U-Value quoted is for the entire unit and not just the glass, and that the U-Value is not the be all and end all (heat transference plays it's part as well).

So has anyone gotten any additonal information or tips that I should know of that would help me make my choice.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Some observations

Any South facing windows should not be tripple glazed to take advantage of solar gain. You may save a few pennies depending on your site orientation.

Are the windows PVC? For the price I imagine they are but the prices apear very good.

Check the windows can be fully tilted for cleaning. I dont think munster joinery windows do this not sure of the others.

Check the windows can lock partially open so they do not blow open/close in the wind, again I think muster joinery windows dont do this.

Same as the above for the French doors (even more important than windows), check that these can be secured open.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

Yeah, these quotes are all PVC based.

Thanks for the tips, I'll make sure to find out.

I have another quick question, does the look of the PVC windows really drag down the look of a house? I've had a look at the alluminium and allu-clad windows and too be honest I felt the alluminium (painted) made it look like a shop / an industrial estate.

With the alu-clad I just didn't like the sounds of treating wood every 3 years and wasn't 100% sure on the look of them.

Any comments in regards to the style of PVC vs Allu-clad / wood?

Personally I'm not partial one way or another, it's a cost factor for me, but at the same time I don't want to ruin the look of the house by making the wrong choice on materials.

ninjaBob wrote: »

With the alu-clad I just didn't like the sounds of treating wood every 3 years and wasn't 100% sure on the look of them.

Alu clad windows do not need maintaining, certainly the ones I priced up for my build Marvin, Nordan, Munster Joinery etc.

We went for alu clad as the interior look of wood is far nicer. Nothing wrong with PVC apart from plastic looks and they are made from oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We want black on the outside and the aluclad allows you put whatever colour you want outside and have the benefit of a real timber interior. I think it looks the business! The exterior is fairly maintenance free too - suits me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Mr edge

Can you let us know who you went with for the windows

Lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Currahee01

I have another quick question, does the look of the PVC windows really drag down the look of a house? I've had a look at the alluminium and allu-clad windows and too be honest I felt the alluminium (painted) made it look like a shop / an industrial estate.

Any comments in regards to the style of PVC vs Allu-clad / wood?

Personally I'm not partial one way or another, it's a cost factor for me, but at the same time I don't want to ruin the look of the house by making the wrong choice on materials.

I'm a big fan of AluClad windows and will be ordering them next week for my own build (Dark grey 7021 outside with Larch finish inside). I've seen countless number of samples and products over the last few years and my opinion would be that the 'Austrian' style seems to be better than the 'Danish' style, this is a generalisation though! The other thing I've noticed is how many are actually aluminium windows with a bit of timber stuck on as opposed to timber clad with aluminium.

I prefer not to spec PVC but I've seen some 'timber effect' windows that didnt look too bad.

At the end of the day it's down to personal choice and as long as you're achieving a decent u value you should be fine.

Best of luck!

Can you pm the name of the co that you went with and the other cos that you approached and prices

Thanks

Lightning

PM sent

Could you let me know the company your ordered from as well.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mallini

Hi Currahee,

Can you pm on that list also ...... Thanking you.

Could you let me know the company your ordered from as well.

Cheers
    Mallini wrote: »
    Hi Currahee,

Can you pm on that list also ...... Thanking you.

Done and done!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Hi Currahee01, sorry to add to the list but could you PM that to me aswell. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AdamAntsy

Heh - just to add to the bother - can you PM me details for the company? Much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MrLNB

Hi, with the aluclad windonws i have seen, from the outside i could see timber exposed in joints etc. .

this has so far put me off. for me, no timber can or should be exposed to the weather.

I was even at the Galway show lately for self builds, and when i took a right look at the windows from the outside i could track rain/moisture to the timbers.

Maybe i need to look at other systems. Please let me know.

I know all windows need a bit of maintainence, but exposing wood our weather is trouble.

LNB

MrLNB wrote: »
    Hi, with the aluclad windonws i have seen, from the outside i could see timber exposed in joints etc. .

this has so far put me off. for me, no timber can or should be exposed to the weather.

I was even at the Galway show lately for self builds, and when i took a right look at the windows from the outside i could track rain/moisture to the timbers.

Maybe i need to look at other systems. Please let me know.

I know all windows need a bit of maintainence, but exposing wood our weather is trouble.

LNB

I'm not sure that I agree with you're post, if you're refering to timber windows not being suitable for the Irish climate? We've used them for 100s of years, and if treated correctly can last as long as the house they're fitted into. I havent seen any AluClad windows where the detailing would worry me in relation to water ingress. Most systems will come with a gaurantee and there should be no need to worry if fitted correctly.

^^^^^ Agreed^^^^^

I never seen any exposed wood in two years of looking for windows. It was a scare tactic of one of the Irish suppliers of alu clad windows slandering the quality of the Nordic imports but the construction was the same.

Leadership wrote: »
    ^^^^^ Agreed^^^^^

I never seen any exposed wood in two years of looking for windows. It was a scare tactic of one of the Irish suppliers of alu clad windows slandering the quality of the Nordic imports but the construction was the same.

Pictures 01 & 1 show timber exposed,

2 to 4 are windows which i would love to see in my house. if you know of companys which do windows 2 to 4 in ireland, please let me know. .

the pictures 01 & 1 are been sold as alu-clad windows by 2 very very well known companys in ireland, one starting with R and the other D. i have both brouchers here beside me but cant find the same photos on the net. I hope you get my concerns, both of these companys were at the self build show. .
    maybe its just me, but i see a huge difference in the first 2 types against the last 3

no no for me. . both of these. .

01.jpg

1.jpg

these have a far better seal. . .

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg.

Please PM me if you know of reputible suppliers of better types

We called into the showrooms this morning of one of suppliers we were quoted by. Learnt a lot, as is always the case. We went through which opening types were suitable for each of the different windows. Looked at a folding door option for the kitchen to the patio, allowing us to open up the house on a nice summers day. It'd be worthwhile to go to a showroom so you can see the various options that you have. When you do your research here you hit a point where you have to start seeing the finished product to help you make your decision.

We called into the showrooms this morning of one of suppliers we were quoted by. Learnt a lot, as is always the case. We went through which opening types were suitable for each of the different windows. Looked at a folding door option for the kitchen to the patio, allowing us to open up the house on a nice summers day. It'd be worthwhile to go to a showroom so you can see the various options that you have. When you do your research here you hit a point where you have to start seeing the finished product to help you make your decision.

yes, i would also recommed a visit.
    A lot of these window companys send out nice glossy brouchers, with pictures of what my wife would call houses with windows, its the windows we want to see and to be able to see the make up of the window,

Mr Edge, can i ask what you went for end the end. I am planning a visit to a few show rooms over the next week or so, and to get a feel for prices,

are you going with

Alu-clad
    PVC
    or just timber?

Mr lnb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭fuchia

Could you PM me also.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

And me too pleeeeese?

Thanks!!!

Steve

MrLNB wrote: »
    yes, i would also recommed a visit.
    A lot of these window companys send out nice glossy brouchers, with pictures of what my wife would call houses with windows, its the windows we want to see and to be able to see the make up of the window,

Mr Edge, can i ask what you went for end the end. I am planning a visit to a few show rooms over the next week or so, and to get a feel for prices,

are you going with

Alu-clad
    PVC
    or just timber?

Mr lnb

We're definitely going with the AluClad. As I said above, maintenance free on the outside, with the colour we want (black) and then a real timber finish inside. It'll make the house feel/look warmer I imagine!

I don't have a problem with plain PVC windows but my fiancee just doesn't like them. I must add that I don't like when people use wood effect PVC. PVC is fantastic in its own way, does its job really well, excellent value for money, but people shouldn't be trying to make it look like something it isn't!

Still finaling the supplier but we've narrowed it down to four companies with similiar quotes. Our builder has advised to wait until the last minute before we commit. He'll help us get the best price - he says!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Edoc Macein

We're definitely going with the AluClad. As I said above, maintenance free on the outside, with the colour we want (black) and then a real timber finish inside. It'll make the house feel/look warmer I imagine!

I don't have a problem with plain PVC windows but my fiancee just doesn't like them. I must add that I don't like when people use wood effect PVC. PVC is fantastic in its own way, does its job really well, excellent value for money, but people shouldn't be trying to make it look like something it isn't!

Still finaling the supplier but we've narrowed it down to four companies with similiar quotes. Our builder has advised to wait until the last minute before we commit. He'll help us get the best price - he says!!

we are thinking the same thing. But in relation to the people using timber affect pvc, id say its because white is late 90s look now, and it doesnt weather as good as brown pvc, or timber affect as its called.
    black pvc has its own problems i hear. but the aluclad has a smart and sleek look about it. its modern i guess at the end of the day.

cheers..
    edoc. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cailin rua

HI ,
    Am new to the boards...my query is in relation to APPALLING treatment from a window company. I have no quibble with their product...windows seem fine. But delivery dates...wrong measurements, wrong glass, the list is endless. The rep even went so far as to call us liars, when he tried to cover up his mistake. The job is still not finished...we placed the order in May, house extension. Is there anything we can do ....I won't name the company until the job is finished, as I will wait to see if they will compensate us...we have sent builders away numerous times...
    We extended before and used Munster Joinery, and they were on the date and the time, their windows are fine, we didn't use them this time only because they didn't have the door or arched window we wanted. WE opted for another large well known company. I wuld hate for anyone else to go through the stress that we are having at the moment!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Document everything in writing to them, through your solicitor if necessary, and give them 7 days to respond in writing with replys to all of your quearies and with final dates and their aims for recompense. See where it goes from there, my guess is it will go the legal route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cailin rua

Poor Uncle Tom,
    Thanks for that...will do. At this stage I just want all the works finished up...am on my third mop in as many months!!
    Have a gaping hole for a front door too, the dog is loving it though!!:)

Hey guys, we're hoping to place our order for our AluTimber windows on Thursday with an importer from Denmark (i've gotten that issue off my chest now!!). In arriving at this choice we just rang around the various well known suppliers and manufacturers in Ireland and a few smaller local importers, in all we got about 15 quotes ranging from 44k to 23k. As about 5 we're under 25k we went looking at the showrooms for each of the sub 25k windows. It is vital you do this exercise as no two windows are the same! Take the time to check them out, this how you learn what a good window is. When we saw the window that we hope to go with we saw straight away why it was slightly more expensive!it also gives you ideas. The sales guys will give you good advice in relation to things like opening types. I think people here get too bogged down on the various prices each of us got quoted from various companies. There are so many variables in all of our quotes. For example some companies can only do side hung it certain sizes, some companies don't have night latches on side hung, sunrooms, odd shapes etc. SOME COMPANIES WERE QUOTING FOR ALU/TIMBER COMPOSITE AS OPPOSED TO ALUCLAD. We saw one window in particular which was a very impressive product. We decided that the best way forward was to work on getting the best price we can on this window as it seems to be the rolls royce of all the windows we've seen. They have night latches on side hung openings, they make French style windows, it's a composite frame (looks much sleeker and tighter than the Alu Clad), excellent ventilation on the frame if necessary, excellent options on front door. They do a 30% gloss finish on the exterior which we both liked, takes the mad shine of the frame. Because we both feel that this window is so much better and we're in a position to pay for it we'll just bargain for the best possible price. Cheers, Edge.

Thank god that's over. Windows sorted. Got the windows we wanted at price we're happy with!! We feel like we're getting good value for our hard earned money.

• Advertisement

Edge

can you pm the name of the co.

Thanks.

Lightning

Advertisement