Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Calvin & Hobbes strip

Options
  • 04-06-2009 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭

What's yours?

I <3 the humour, there's so many good moments, like where Calvin is hitting nails into the table and his mother goes 'what are you doing' and he says 'is that a trick question?'
    *goes off to find strip*

EDIT
    19851227.gif?w=600&h=196

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I probably can't pick just one - I bought the complete collection last year and it was an absolute joy to read. My shortlist would include:
    • all the Calvinball strips ("No sport is less organised than calvinball! OK, so the score is Q to 12")
    • the perspective-less strip
    • the entire Duplicator story ("oK fine, so we didn't learn any big lesson. Sue me." "Live and don't learn, that's us")
    • "Who ees this Kalveen?"
    • Stupendous Man, Spaceman Spiff and Tracer Bullitt

I should probably stop now or I'll just end up posting an index of every strip Watterson did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Lol aye I love them all too can't choose just one, own most of the collection myself. I did see a faboooo boxed set but it was uber expensive.
    I love all the snowmen ones
    2005-01-26.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The snowmen union protest one was genius :) The boxset is really nice, I got it for £85 last year and it's worth it, though I imagine it's probably going for a lot more in Ireland (as usual!). (Play and Amazon UK have it for just shy of €100, which is reasonable for what you get if you can sort out delivery).

Also, your sig has reminded me of one strip involving the line "I hate it when I can't gird my loinds with funny animals". Also, the Picasso "Nude descending a staircase" one is great.

Don't be tempting me!! lol
    although I always found the large books hard to hold whilst reading.

I just love the adult yet childlike thinking in the strips. It's a great contrast of Calvin being a child but how different things can vary with perspective.
    T-Rex is always welcome in daydreaming :)

Heh, I just remembered: Tyrannosaurs in F-16s! "This is so cool!" "This is so stupid!"

• Advertisement

Hah, that's a great one! Also, I found another excellent one there:

Scientific progress goes "boink"?

(I had to change your embedded image to a link, the site has disabled hotlinking - I imagine because their bandwidth costs would be astronomical otherwise...)

Haha... I love when he turns into little hobbes

(thankee for fixing my post :) )

Heh, he's so adorable as a tiger!

I need to fish out some comicbooks in the morning!
    I love when he's being babysat...
    rosalyn

• Advertisement

I've just remembered another good one:

"This is the story of the hydraulic pump (Fig. 1), the wheel shaft flange (Fig. 2), and the evil patent infringement."

"I want a good story."

calvin&hobbes-mirror(small).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Patrick Brown

"Tyrannosaurs in F16s" is indeed among the finest works of art of the 20th century!

There's one I remember where Calvin's mum is after him to get him into the bath, looking all over the house and yelling, and he's hiding in the bathtub thinking "she'll never look for me here". The first time I read that a very clear memory came flooding back that I once did that.

?fh=bb84410846ece27f81e67ed958bb6db6

?fh=28341b6f5dfb8e776b96a227dc1715d4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

So, so many...

CH860405.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sarah_lennon

too hot, too cold, too hot, too cold....... too full! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Calvin, mum and dad having dinner:

Calvin - Uck, I'm not eating that
    What is it?
    It smells awful........... (etc)

Mum - Spider pie.

Calvin - (in shock) starts to eat a bit then says "that's not bad"

meanwhile the dad is pulling the sort of face Calvin does.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

my favourite, its just so silly its cool

calvin_toast.JPG

or
    Calvin: I won't eat any cereal that doesn't turn the milk purple.

Advertisement