UPC Wireless Password? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

03-06-2009, 18:31   #1
ExDipper

UPC Wireless Password?

HELP PLEASE!!
I have a Netgear wireless router supplied by UPC who are my broadband service provider. My own laptop connects fine to it. But I need a password for anyone else's, and for my phone... and I don't have one. I contacted UPC and they said to try my account number, which didn't work. Then they said I'd have to contact Netgear myself (which I have complained about, having checked with the National Consumer Agency first). I am waiting on UPC to respond and to fix this.
In the meantime, can anyone else advise? Incidentally, I have been with UPC for 18 months, and this has always been a problem - I am only getting around to sorting it now!
Advertisement
03-06-2009, 18:39   #2
jame5_b

just type in 192.168.1.1 into the browser of the computer that you can connect to the internet.
then the user name is admin and password is just password.
then go to wireless settings or something like that and it shows you your password.
03-06-2009, 18:46   #3
DingDong

Type 192.168.1.1 into your browers on your laptop than can connect to the internet. It will ask for a user name and password type admin and password. You should now be able to login into your wireless router. Go to wireless setting a security options such as (WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK) should be ticked. Under it should be a box for a passphrase. Type in a password you can remember in this box (This will be the one you give to the other user). Also make sure you know the name (SSID) of your network. when you have updated your password click apply. You will now be kick off your network and have to enter your new password to access it again.
03-06-2009, 21:01   #4
mick.fr

Send a message via ICQ to mick.fr Send a message via AIM to mick.fr Send a message via Yahoo to mick.fr Send a message via Skype™ to mick.fr
Does not work on mine

I have the new modem I suppose, the Cisco one. The 20MB been installed 2 weeks ago.
First day issue, the support guy tried to get me in, he told me the password was WP2466, something like this, we tried it did not worked either.

Anyone?
03-06-2009, 21:23   #5
DingDong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick.fr View Post
Does not work on mine

I have the new modem I suppose, the Cisco one. The 20MB been installed 2 weeks ago.
First day issue, the support guy tried to get me in, he told me the password was WP2466, something like this, we tried it did not worked either.

Anyone?
Is the details not on the bottom of the wireless modem?
Advertisement
03-06-2009, 21:33   #6
Gdep

Quote:
Does not work on mine

Anyone?
if you press and hold in the reset button on the back of the cisco modem the network name and password are reverted to the default ones which are located on a sticker on the modem. network name will be upc21212 or something along those lines and the password will be random numbers and letters.
03-06-2009, 21:42   #7
mick.fr

Send a message via ICQ to mick.fr Send a message via AIM to mick.fr Send a message via Yahoo to mick.fr Send a message via Skype™ to mick.fr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdep View Post
if you press and hold in the reset button on the back of the cisco modem the network name and password are reverted to the default ones which are located on a sticker on the modem. network name will be upc21212 or something along those lines and the password will be random numbers and letters.
Not sure it is a good idea to reset the modem, will lose the UPC settings most likely...
03-06-2009, 21:50   #8
DingDong

Quote:
Not sure it is a good idea to reset the modem, will lose the UPC settings most likely...
The only thing it will reset is the wireless setting not your BB connection to upc
03-06-2009, 22:34   #9
mick.fr

I am afraid there is no sticker with the password.
Only information I have got on the sticker is the SSID and the passphrase.
Not gonna take the risk.
Advertisement
03-06-2009, 22:49   #10
DingDong

Quote:
I am afraid there is no sticker with the password.
Only information I have got on the sticker is the SSID and the passphrase.
Not gonna take the risk.
The SSID and passphrase is your login details!
03-06-2009, 23:35   #11
mick.fr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
The SSID and passphrase is your login details!
No does not work either.
Would have been too easy
04-06-2009, 01:23   #12
DingDong

The button only reset the wireless security details. Have a look at this thread to show how to login to your router you should then be able to change the password and SSID
04-06-2009, 09:39   #13
Fingleberries

If you have not changed the settings on the NetGear Router, the passphrase is your UPC account number by default.
04-06-2009, 18:47   #14
ExDipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
Type 192.168.1.1 into your browers on your laptop than can connect to the internet. It will ask for a user name and password type admin and password. You should now be able to login into your wireless router. Go to wireless setting a security options such as (WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK) should be ticked. Under it should be a box for a passphrase. Type in a password you can remember in this box (This will be the one you give to the other user). Also make sure you know the name (SSID) of your network. when you have updated your password click apply. You will now be kick off your network and have to enter your new password to access it again.
Hi guys

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, it's not fixing my problem. I did get kicked off my network, and the passphrase I entered let me back on. However, it won't let me connect via another device - I'm currently using my iPhone to connect. Is there something else I need to do?
04-06-2009, 18:49   #15
yoyo

Try your UPC account number, The fella installing mine used account number for the password, good luck

Nick
Thread Closed