Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More opinions wanted...."recommendation" threads

Options
  • 22-05-2009 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

I'm up to me eyes in work. We've just upped our countrywide response from "delay" to "contain" within the last hour, so I'm having a quick biccie break.

But noticed a lot of these "can you reccomend....." threads. people either looking for docs, physios, ultrasounds etc.

Do we want these or not? Is this what the forum is for?

Opinions much appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I'm up to me eyes in work. We've just upped our countrywide response from "delay" to "contain" within the last hour, so I'm having a quick biccie break.

But noticed a lot of these "can you reccomend....." threads. people either looking for docs, physios, ultrasounds etc.

Do we want these or not? Is this what the forum is for?

Opinions much appreciated :D

Begs the question Tallaght what is the forum for then as a Mod could you and the others get together and put together something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I think the forum is for discussion of biological and medical issues.

We could very easily get together and put something together, but it's much better to get the opinions of the forums users before we do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Prime Mover

No I think that just encourages people to see this as a destination site for medical advice.

There are other resources for that:
    Your GP
    Golden pages
    irishhealth.com
    etc

Also those threads are the ones most likely to descend into "No don't go see a Physio, see a Chiro", "no don't see a Chiro, see Jimmy the magic crystal man in Carlow, he's great".... blah blah....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i dont agree with these threads at all.

the general public base their opinions of doctors on a variety of things, such as waiting times, appearance, manner, and they can have unrealistic expectations of what can be delivered, and what is reasonable in terms of investigations and treatment.

the doctor's actual competency is very often not a huge factor in forming the opinion.

plus, a consultant may have particular expertise in a sub-specialty area within their own area that random patients wouldnt know about.

finally, i think these threads could descend into "dont go and see x, hes useless" responses from those ex-pateints with an axe to grind.

so a thumbs down to them from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

I'd agree with the above posters; I don't think threads looking for specific doctors/physios/services are appropriate and I also think they can quite easily descend into potentially libellous comments about individuals who may not even be aware of this forum or in a position to defend themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭flerb22

the only advice that this forum should give is

"go and talk to your GP"

So, if I put something into the charter saying that posts looking for medics/allied services, and recommendations etc are not allowed, is that ok with everyone?

What about threads asking about getting xrays, ECGs/ultrasounds? Personally, I think that info is in the public domain, and people don't need to post here for it. In short I don't think it falls under the umbrella of "Biology+medicine issues". But all thoughts appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭charlieroot

I think asking about generic services (e.g. blood tests, x-rays.) should be answered by saying - go to your GP (i.e. with generic answers).

But asking for specific recommendations - e.g. "Can someone recommend an orthopedic surgeon who does ACL repairs" - should not be allowed.

It leaves boards.ie open to trouble if someone starts to make negative comments. The flip side being it gives people the opportunity to advertise their business/services which I think is inappropriate for this forum.

Thats my two cent anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i haven't posted in this thread purposely as I have been giving some thought to what I actually think.

It appears this forum has gotten a bit of a reputation around the larger community as the place to go with any medically related queries or questions. We see it from threads being moved here, through to other discussions across the site on the general topic of medical advice. I, personally, don't agree with this policy, and think it should be nipped in it's ever larger bud.

Yes, a lot of us here are medically trained of one form or another, but we don't come here to either dole out free medical advice (for obvious reasons) or to answer questions regarding the best place to get your blood taken/piss tested etc etc ad nauseum.....
    It's as has been suggested before for the discussion of medical and biology realted matters. Topics like the EWTD and doctors, nurses on strike, spread of swine flu and such are examples of the threads that should have a home here from a medical point of view. We've recently had threads regarding bio related stuff, like spiders, dolphins brains which fills that remit to an extent anyway. This forum should be a place for those kind of things, so that like minded people can discuss such issues with theirs peers, and for people with just a passing interest in the subjects to get involved, give their 2cents and maybe learn something new.

I think the new harder line being taken by the Mods is very welcome. it's pretty clear from the stickie at the top of the first page what is and isn't allowed here, and that needs to be respected by all. As of yet, there haven't been infractions dished out, and I know that goes with the more relaxed style of the Mods, which is great.....to a point. I still see locked threads every day here, from posters looking for specific medical advice, even though its pretty clear that the forum is not there for that reason, some posters have been here quite a while and should really know better.

I know there are some discussions going on at a higher level regarding health and medical issues going on, and i for one cannot wait to see the outcome of this.

There are proposed changes afoot with the mens health forum and I would forsee that in the not too distant future traffic to this forum with medical advice type queries may jump a bit.I think the discussions that we've had recently on tightening up the ship are very timely then, and should help to deal with this possible increase.

On another note, and it's something that I don't mean in a critical way whatsoever (you know I lurve you guys) as things have gotten tighter around here there seems to be an increased workload on the Mods. I've seen via the reported post forum a definite increase in the reported posts numbers over the past few months (correct me if I'm wrong lads) and is it time to look at engaging an extra Mod in the forum to help deal with this and/or any increased traffic. I'd been sympathetic to the fact that all of the Mods are currently in different time-zones to Ireland so things can't be dealt with immediately, but it is just a thought, so i'm throwing it out there for you to add into any Mod-type discussions your having.

I've already discussed the idea of a new pair of hands with DrIndy. I think we're ok at the moment,a s long as things stay settled. During all the alternative medicine madness, thinge were looking a bit ominous, but it all seems to have calmed down now.

But, on the topic at hand, it seems most people don't want "where do I go for....." and "Does anyone know a good doc/physio/dog walker" threads in here.

If DrIndy is happy, I'll try to amend the charter over the weekend. Thanks, as always, for your input, guys :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement