Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crumlin Hospital Closures - Parents Need Your Help

Options
  • 16-05-2009 4:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you to Boards.ie (and especially dr.bollocko) for posting the following appeal which effects the whole of Ireland.

I have a 4 year old child that suffers from Scoliosis (from birth).
    This is a non-curable spinal disorder that needs fully body cast changes every two to three months maximum (due to body growth).
    The only place that does this in Ireland for my child is the Crumlins Children's Hospital.
    I have just been informed this morning (16th May, 2009) that the government has ordered the closure of the wards for this treatment (St Josephs ward being one) and others too!

The great effect Crumlin Hospital treatment has on my child's spine cannot be understated. These pics are of my child before cast and after:

2rpsadu.jpg

This treatment is absolutely vital not just because of the spine but also if the spine is twisted, further pressure is brought down to bear on the kidneys and lungs of my child. Causing them major further problems.

I know and met others that come from as far as Kerry and Donegal, who go to Dublin as this is the only place that treats this problem.

What the hell is Harney and this frakin government doing!
    This and other planned closures in the next two months will effect many, many children not just my own.

Its one thing to slap more taxes on us as adults but when they start closing down the vital services and the treatment wards for our already suffering kids, this encroaches upon inflicting physical and mental torture to our nations children! Harney's stripping of the hospital basic services and absolute vital staff effects cancer children, spinabifida, leukaemia suffers, to name just a few areas.

One news story today: 'Ward closure could kill my son'
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ward-closure-could-kill-my-son-1742094.html
    Only the lowest of the low strike out at our children!
    Only the lowest of the low causes further pain to children!
    Only the lowest of the low takes away their vital life health care!
    ...And then they have the nerve to ask for our vote! Its criminal!

Please Help - Visit the following:

http://www.bebo.com/our-ladys-hospital

Join in a national day of protest:
    (Organisation meeting in the Long Mile Bar, 6 pm Sunday 17th)

May the 23rd, 12 noon outside Our Ladys Childrens Hospital.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Surely they can't do that if it's the only place? It must be a mistake? I think sometimes they cut things to see if anyone squawks.

Is there an association for parents with kids afflicted by this? If not, you need to get organised and start hitting the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Is there anywhere in the North that does this?
    Frankly nothing in regard to the health service would surprise me lately...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,242 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Surely they can't do that if it's the only place? It must be a mistake? I think sometimes they cut things to see if anyone squawks.

Is there an association for parents with kids afflicted by this? If not, you need to get organised and start hitting the media.

Absolutely. If enough people complain and bring it to public attention you can reverse the decision. It's been done before.

Bigins - you have my sympathy. Good start posting it here.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

This country is a bloody disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Sorry to hear about that Biggins

Someone hasn't got their priorities right and haven't for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,242 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Wertz wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in the North that does this?
    Frankly nothing in regard to the health service would surprise me lately...

They're trying to STOP people going up the north for services, remember?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Thats a god damn joke man (well, another to add to the rapidly expanding list)

Eggs are just the beginning...they are screwing with peoples lives more then the realize but on an altogether higher level, they are screwing with our children. They just come across like room of...

CLUELESS THICK CNUTS

I'd like to see you encounter a FF politician and they tried to engage you in a conversation about GAA.

*KApow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Sorry to hear that, but thats what happens when greedy HSE staff refuse to budge on conditions/pay/pay and conditions/ entitlements/work practices.

No matter what Govt. are in power the sad FACT remains, the country cannot afford the HSE it now has.

Private sector firms/concerns have to cut their cloth to reflect their income.

This would appear to be news to the HSE:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

You need to get up a petition Biggins.
    This is also the right time to talk to the politicians doing the rounds.
    Tell them they will have your vote if they get this overturned.
    Ask them to draw attention to it, it might help in some way.
    /you don't have to vote for them,just tell them you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Jesus. I can't imagine how angry you must feel right now. That's just beyond shameful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    They're trying to STOP people going up the north for services, remember?!

Who is? I know plenty of people in my area that do the whole dental and medical thing down the North.
    I'm not for one moment suggesting this as an alternative for the OP; the service should be provided in the State....I'm asking if it's a viable solution in the event that said ward remains closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Thats a fcuking disgrace!!

Shower of **** in power. Refuse to cut their wages, try pass blame on their civil servants then close down medical facilities.

Biggins, I'm not surprised with tugboat harney in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Crazy stuff, it's a shame no one will do anything about this joke of a goverment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That's fcuking ridiculous.

You should demand that the HSE pay for your childs ongoing treatment in a private clinic such as the one in Belfast, otherwise what they're doing is probably against human rights laws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

That's fcuking ridiculous.

You should demand that the HSE pay for your childs ongoing treatment in a private clinic such as the one in Belfast, otherwise what they're doing is probably against human rights laws

Can he get the medical treatment done on the NHS as an EU citzen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Jesus thats a fcuking disgrace!I feel sorry for you and your family op!Is there anywhere up north that do the treatment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

You could email

primetime@rte.ie to see would they help exposing more people to what's going on

and for the Questions & Answers programme (which Harney herself was on last week), email: qanda@rte.ie

They might allow you to ask her the question directly on air, how could she allow this to happen.

Write to the Irish Independent too.

Good luck

They're essentially saying that they are no longer going to treat your childs illness, they can't do that. It has to be against some human rights law. Jesus I'm so f**king angry at this f**king poxy country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is a fund for treatment for which there is a long waiting list dunno if Biggins child falls into the right catagories.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/health/entitlement-to-health-services/treatment_purchase_fund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

You need to get up a petition Biggins.
    This is also the right time to talk to the politicians doing the rounds.
    Tell them they will have your vote if they get this overturned.
    Ask them to draw attention to it, it might help in some way.
    /you don't have to vote for them,just tell them you will.

I agree with Shooter here. I'd get in touch with every paper I could think of. Sorry to hear the news Biggins, its nasty. Go and make some noise though!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Can she get the medical treatment done on the NHS as an EU citzen?

That I do not know but the treatments have to be done at least two to three months JUST to control the Scoliosis.
    There is quite a few hundred around the country that have this exact same problem.

Right now and I mean right now as your reading this, I and my wife are feeling a mixture of wanting to seriously murder someone, anger, depression and feeling like friggin crying.

I rant and rave like the best of them but they are now taking hits at our kids, someone elses kids and my kid.
    This isn't a luxury treatment, its a vital breathing life effecting treatment. Without it at the very least, our kids will be left seriously physically disabled, provided her lungs and kidneys survive the crushing and pressure.
    How the feck can they dare ask us for our votes when they are lashing out at our kids!

We are seriously depressed today in our house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Jesus thats a fcuking disgrace!I feel sorry for you and your family op!Is there anywhere up north that do the treatment?

That's not the point, imho, the Republic should cherish its children - this service must be available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Biggins wrote: »
    I have a 4 year old child that suffers from Scoliosis (from birth).
    This is a non-curable spinal disorder that needs fully body cast changes every two to three months maximum (due to body growth).
    The ONLY place that does this in Ireland is the Crumlins Childrens Hospital - ST Josephs ward.
    I have just been informed this morning that the government has ordered the closure of the wards for this treatment!

How about getting the media involved ?
    Maybe the likes of Prime Time might run with it ?

Edit: Just seen Jape beat me to it with that suggestion !

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Online petitions are about as useful as a cock flavoured lollipop. We need a name and address of who is responsible, and a template of a letter that can be sent on.

With so many HSE cutbacks in the news, this is also a current and topical story as well. I'd be getting onto your local councillor first, to find out what they plan on doing about it.

Have you been in contact with the hospital yet? Have they given you any options on treatments in the future? If the care that your child requires isn't available in the state, aren't the state required to get you that treatment abroad?

Those ****ers are going to get crucified on election day. And good enough for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I really think its time this country marched on the doors of the dail and drgged the fat ****s out and introduced them to the a giliteen... I serously think that if politisions dont do there job they should be killed....

Its disgracefull and horrible to hear unfair and just ****ing wrong.....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Do online petitions carry any weight?

You could start one here Biggins and I'm sure many many boardsies will sign it and show our displeasure.

Then forward it on to whoever you feel might be in a position to do something.

I can assure you if Mary Harneys child had this condition ST Josephs ward would not be closing.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Do online petitions carry any weight?

No, absolutely none. A real-life petition would be far more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

jesus i'm really sorry Biggins. Anything I can do, feel free to ask. I've no problem traveling to sign a petition or anything.

Fingers crossed for you

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Contact The Opposition Spokesperson Dr James Reilly

Home Address:
    Seafoam
    South Shore Road
    Rush
    Co Dublin
    Home Fax:
    01-8430792
    Leinster House:
    Tel:
    01-6183749
    Fax:
    01-6184615

Constituency Office Address:
    Lusk Towncentre,
    Market Square,
    Lusk,
    Co. Dublin.
    Tel:
    01-8437014
    http://www.jamesreilly.finegael.ie
    E-mail:
    james.reilly@finegael.ie

I dont blame you being angry

I'm angry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Biggins wrote: »
    If I see a Fianna Fail person on the street, I won't be responsible for my actions - and thats a fcuking promise!

I'm very sorry for your trouble Biggins, and hope you find a solution asap.

As other posters have suggested, go the media route, contact RTE and ask for an audience ticket for Questions & Answers, ring Joe Duffy, get your story to Prime Time. Write a very very strongly worded letter to the Irish Times, and at the same time contact The Star. Hit them from all sides and don't give up until your situation is well aired.

I can fully understand your anger towards FF, and the best way to hurt them is bad publicity with this election coming up.

I have some contacts in the media, if i can help you in any way? i'd be happy to do so, just PM me.

best of luck

Advertisement