Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Calendar (Updated for 2010/2011 Season)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Tea Spoon

The Masters seems to be getting earlier each year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Was in the snooker club yesterday and the owner told me that a world 6 red snooker tournament is about to be announced. It's on in killarney the second weekend in december and the top pros are all entered, apparently a press release is due next week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

zack01 wrote: »
    Was in the snooker club yesterday and the owner told me that a world 6 red snooker tournament is about to be announced. It's on in killarney the second weekend in december and the top pros are all entered, apparently a press release is due next week.

I heard that too and it's to run from the 15th to 18th of December, I think it's called the Killarney Pro-Invite or something. I didn't know it was 6-red though. :(

Also, a number of events set up by 110sport are to be announced this week.

Yes it will run from 15-18 dec in killarney, up to 140 players made up of pros and amateurs, and it's 6 red which should be exciting to watch. The owner of the club is a good mate of Ken Doherty's and he reckons this season we could see a return to form of Ken, he's is playing in all the pro challenge events in the UK along with the ranking qualifiers and pro ams across europe, in fact this weekend he is playing in a tournament in Germany, he told me Ken seems to have found a new belief in his game especially after qualifiying for the opening ranking tournament in Shanghai.

Hope he's right, Ken's a hell of a nice guy and is always nice to myself and the others players when he pops into the club now and again.

The Six-Red World championship website is live now @ http://www.6redworldchampionships.com/ & also @ http://irishsnookeropen.com/ for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Sorry about this guys, but when are the Irish masters on? I don't see it on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

About 2005. (Sorry about that, it was just too easy) The Irish Masters was taken off the calender after that season.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Gingy wrote: »
    About 2005. (Sorry about that, it was just too easy) The Irish Masters was taken off the calender after that season.:(

Just shows how long I have been off the snooker seen so :o.

As promised Barry Hearn has delivered on his word, the new calendar for next season sees almost non stop snooker for the players.Although this is only a provisional calendar it certainly sounds exciting. There will be an extra world ranking event in Germany ( told you that in Jan!) and for all you nostalgic snooker fans out there a World Seniors Snooker Championship will be held in Nov, that should be great fun, talks i believe are ongoing with the tv companies to get this televised, it runs over a weekend because the number of players competing will have played in the qualifiers for the event in May.An extra 12 week event spread over the season will be the Players Tour C'ship with a prize fund of £540,000 on offer. Hearn is also trying to sanction a World Tour C'ship as well to reach out to the many snooker pro's living overseas.The Premier Snooker League also continues on Sky as does the Championship League incidently Marco Fu has just won this seasons Championship League and for his troubles he gets an invite to next seasons Premier Snooker League.He also wants to overhaul the ranking system and award players on current performances rather than players living off something they achieved over two years ago! that's how it is with the current two year ranking system.

We all know how Hearn has turned the game of darts into a global sport with huge viewing figures and prize money for the players and now with this calendar he seems intent on keeping his promise and doing the same for snooker.Earlier this season i attended the Masters in Wembley and the buzz amongst the players was visable with the recent appointment of Hearn certainly the main topic of conversation, the buzz was certainly still there went i went to Sheffield for the World C'ship qualifiers, because even players who did'nt make it to the crucible know that snooker is being reinvented and the opportunity to make a decent living out of their profession with Hearns help will improve.

So next on the list is the China Open which starts on Monday and is available on Eurosport and that leads us nicely on the big one the Worlds which starts 17th April (3 weeks tomorrow) Can't wait!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

Super news! Hopefully all goes according to plan and the game keeps moving in the right direction! C'mon barry hearn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

Tin_Cup wrote: »
    Super news! Hopefully all goes according to plan and the game keeps moving in the right direction! C'mon barry hearn

We dont see Ireland on the list

We need the irish masters back again....

Irish Masters, Goffs, Kill, Co. Kildare,

As I mentioned earlier in a previous post, there will be a world seniors event next season, and the great news is that it will be televised.
    There will be a qualifying event at the end of May with the qualifiers going forward to the main event which will be held 5-7 Nov.

The World Open was "officially" announced today in sheffield by Barry.

From worldsnooker.com:
    Glasgow On Cue For New World Open

World Snooker is delighted to announce the introduction of the World Open. The tournament will be the first ever open ranking event, allowing amateurs to compete against the world’s top players with £500,000 prize money on offer.

Barry Hearn pictured making the announcement at the Crucible.

In a field of 128 players, there will be 32 amateurs plus 96 professionals.

The event will take place at the SECC, Glasgow on 18-26 September 2010 and will feature a random draw throughout. There will be three qualifying rounds which will culminate with the top 32 taking on the round two winners, with at least four of these matches held over to the venue stage. All matches leading to the final will be a best of five shootout, the final will be contested over 11 frames.

The qualifying rounds will be held at the World Snooker Academy.

The amateurs will be selected by the governing bodies of China, Middle East, Africa, Belgium and Germany.

In addition there will be 20 non-professionals places, the winners will come through qualifying events held throughout the UK, 10 from Rileys Clubs and 10 from independent snooker clubs.

WSL will issue invitations to two former World Champions, the Ladies World Champion plus one other female player and two juniors. The BBC, Eurosport, CCTV5, Great Sports Channel (Shanghai) and Now TV (Hong Kong) will provide extensive coverage of the final stages. The tournament will have a new relaxed dress code to enhance the atmosphere.

Barry Hearn, Chairman of the WPBSA stated: “The new format creates a hugely exciting and challenging tournament for the players. A real David and Goliath clash which will capture the public imagination. The World Open will give everyone the opportunity to take part and maybe earn the chance at playing the very best in the game.”

“The World Open will be a great event which will show the changes that snooker is making to make the game more appealing to the fans and players. It is another world class event in Scotland and I hope the fans will turn out to support it,” said Current Betfred.com World Champion John Higgins.

Reanne Evans winner of six consecutive Ladies World titles is relishing the prospect of competing against her male counterparts, “it’s been a long time coming for the women’s game. I’ve done everything I can in the sport but this will be a great chance, it’s exactly what I have worked so hard for.”

Scott Taylor, Chief Executive, Glasgow City Marketing Bureau, said: “We’re delighted that for the first time, the World Snooker Open will welcome both male and female players of all ages, as well as those from an amateur level. This reflects the exciting period of change that snooker is currently undergoing and should further heighten its appeal.

“Glasgow City Marketing Bureau is proud to continue its support of the event, which is set to bring around 4,000 attendances to the SECC, as well as around £335,000 to Scotland’s economy and almost £1million worth of TV exposure.”

Paul Bush OBE, Chief Operating Officer at EventScotland, the national events agency said: “We are delighted to be supporting the World Snooker Open as it announces some exciting new changes. EventScotland has supported the event since 2006, and over that time it has grown significantly in international appeal. This new format will guarantee the World Snooker Open generates even more exposure for Scotland as this is the first time that both amateurs and male and female players of all ages will be invited to participate in an official ranking event.”

This looks very exciting and fresh. It may well be a way for the BBC to keep their deal on Broadcasting 4 events per season on mainstream BBC 2. It has been said in many circles that the BBC have been in negotiations for their next TV deal to drop the Grand Prix (now the World Open).

zack01 wrote: »
    As I mentioned earlier in a previous post, there will be a world seniors event next season, and the great news is that it will be televised.
    There will be a qualifying event at the end of May with the qualifiers going forward to the main event which will be held 5-7 Nov.

Apparantly there is a sponsor lined up for the event too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Snookermad

That event looks huge, im really looking forward to the new season. I hope there will be even more events announced before it.

Threads merged and main calender fully updated for 2010/2011 season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Snookermad

The german masters was officially unveilled this week http://www.worldsnooker.com/world_championship10_news-147511.htm?tid=154

Next seasons provisional calendar has been announced today and true to his word Barry Hearn keeps producing the goods.Not only will the 12 event PTC return but five new tournaments are scheduled to be played.
    Firstly there will be nine ranking events,then there will be the PTC and EPTC events where ranking points will also be available, that makes 21 events where players can pick up points throughout the season!

The snooker world cup makes a long overdue return, and for the first time ever a snooker event will be held in South America when the Brazilian Masters takes place next Sept.
    The World Open which proved very popular with it's best of five format returns as does the World Seniors.
    Our wish to have a major ranking event might have to wait a while longer but I have heard that at least one of the PTC events will be held in Ireland.

All in it promises to be another exciting season and although we are only half way through this season Barry Hearns promise to reinvent the game has been kept.

Next up is the 5th EPTC event in Germany which starts tomorrow thats followed by the final EPTC event next week in Prague.
    After that it's the qualifiers for the UK C'ships to be held in the academy in Sheffield,a week before the tournament starts proper in Telford.

Busy times for the players, and their wish for more events on the calendar has certainly come true.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

The PTC finals will be held in Ireland. Great news on more events !

Hopefully live streaming at a min will be available for most of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Great news, fair play to Mr Hearn.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cbirt531

i agree.

• Advertisement
Advertisement