Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mantra Nightclub Maynooth.

Options
  • 11-05-2009 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Jobs.ie says there is a new nightclub opening in Maynooth. Anybody know where it is going to be? Maybe where the LA used to be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

*Asks the most 'first year question' possible*

Where was the L.A?

Hear about it all the time, can see no evidence of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

PrivateEye wrote: »

Where was the L.A?

Seriously?!

It's on the main street... beside BOI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I was only in it once, on a Sunday, for a sandwich!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The LA is expanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pakblue

Where was the L.A?

Oh my, you have made me free old by saying that. :eek:

I lived in the L.A. in 1st year it may have been a dump but a Monday night €5 in and €2.50 a drink, where could you have gone wrong?

Though last year (my 2nd year) it was crap every time I went there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Yeah, Harveys bar and nightclub. Somewhere on the main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

what kind of staff are they looking for?

All kinds, floor staff, bar staff, door staff, waiting staff and pizza chefs. Part time and full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

Let's get a fully boards staffed business going. Haha Mantra was the name of that nightclub in Castlebar that was an awful dive.

Yeah Monday nights in the LA were the messiest nights Maynooth ever saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

I loved the LA.... there really was nothing wrong with it. It was a kip but it was basically fine. I've seen worse places still open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Yeah I only went once or twice. Grand place, anyone know why it lost it's license? Is it just being done up or is under new management?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

Where was the L.A?

Are you a firstie yourself?

LA was/is opposite O neils.

Amazin place. Same sort of crowd as the old O Zone. I was there once and they gave out free chips and cocktail sausages. FUHKEN DELISH MAN.

The podiums in there were the best, especially when 5 ppl crammed onto each of them and started hurling abuse at the opposite podium. Good ****en times, simpler times. O Neils is good but the LA made monday night in Mayn.

RIP

You're not really selling it as a desirable place by suggesting it had the same crowd as the Hozone did. Ugh, hand sanitizer in the handbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

The LA was a dive. Just look at the outside of the building and that gives an indication of how much of a kip it was. And comparing it to the ozone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

It's not the ozone, it's zinc!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

I thought the food in the LA was lovely :) Night club part was a shishole

We're students for christ sake, we cant be expecting lavish decor when we're spending €5 in on the door and €2.50 drinks.

I felt safe leavin LA though, unlike the O Zone, everytime there was a fight outside. And it wasnt your typical student fight.....

The SU is free in and €3 drinks, pity it's dead all the time.

Rozabeez wrote: »
    The SU is free in and €3 drinks, pity it's dead all the time.

Yea WTF is with that? My mate Robbie who is on the door said the singer/songwriter night was hoppin at the start of the year but now nobody shows up apart from the performers themselves.

The SU has so much potential. I think it should have been located in the campus apartments. It would make it a far easier social gathering point for people to chill, to actually talk to others, rather than just sit watchin the tv all night or goin on bebo or that shiity facefcuk.

Nationalist

And what about the less social people that would have to deal with noise and drunks crawling all over the place? Definitely not a good idea.

The SU has just lost its appeal on a Monday since O'Neills opened in particular.

• Advertisement

And what about the less social people that would have to deal with noise and drunks crawling all over the place? Definitely not a good idea.

The SU has just lost its appeal on a Monday since O'Neills opened in particular.

Did it even have appeal when the LA was opened?

Iv nothing against the SU, in fact Bar Ex nights are far better than O neils bradys and the roost nights but apart from that, meh, no appeal. Radical changes need to be made, I just dont know what to change.

I'd like to see more of a student body input into the SU during lunchtime though. They used to do pub quizzes on Thursdays, (and one of the young ones from the quiz organizers was hot :):):) ). So I think more of a social scene during lunchtime would be great. Maybe a couple of amateur student DJs to play a few sets. (NO RAP MUSIC!!!!) I think it would liven the place up a lot more. Plus it would give the SU more revenue cos people would buy pints and not just take a glass of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

LA was a KIP!

Hated the place, glad its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭gra26

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Let's get a fully boards staffed business going. Haha Mantra was the name of that nightclub in Castlebar that was an awful dive.

Yeah Monday nights in the LA were the messiest nights Maynooth ever saw.

Mantra STILL is the name of that hole in Castlebar, and a hole it is.

+1 on a boards board of employees

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

Iv nothing against the SU, in fact Bar Ex nights are far better than O neils bradys and the roost nights but apart from that, meh, no appeal. Radical changes need to be made, I just dont know what to change.

*sheds a tear for all that could have been*
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Looks... IMMENSE

www.mantrabar.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 thelittleone

when I was in first year the SU was D place to be on a monday! It was always packed and you always had an amazing night and it was competing against d LA at the time. both venues were always hopping. There are enough students in Maynooth to have more than one venue packed each night!
    The SU needs to advertise the 3euro drinks on a monday better... most 1st years dont even know about it!

The singer songwriter nights on a thursday were brillient at the beginning of the year but again people dont know about it! Advertising is the main problem in the SU! Successes like the Beach party show us that we have a great venue and have the potential to have great nights there every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

You can dress it up, call it whatever you want in the hope of attracting more sophisticated clientel, but at the end of the day it's still the LA and those lovely potted plants and water features won't last long come September.

They really have put it in the wrong place....students in a fancy club? Is it true Fizz has closed down?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

They really have put it in the wrong place....students in a fancy club? Is it true Fizz has closed down?

Think so. Some first year I was talking to in May the other night had never even heard of it ;)

Advertisement