Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buzzards!

Options
  • 08-05-2009 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

we have these amazing birds up here......just have to stop and stare whenever i see one!!
    dont know much about them though, would love to hear some basic info on them:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

They are indeed magnificent birds. I see them quite regularly over my back garden/field. One day last summer there were 7 of them just wheeling about, riding the thermals & calling to each other.

Here's a Wikipedia article for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I see a pair circling above me here in Bray sometimes, and have seen them in various places in the Wicklow Mountains as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Risarow

I've seen several in the east Carlow area, some near Rathvilly and also near Clonegal.

There is some information here http://countynaturetrust.tripod.com/id4.html

:D:D:D just checking the smilies thing - my last post with a smilie was removed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Not alone are the eagles in kerry being wiped by poison, but it now appears buzzards in the NE of the country are succumbing in frightening numbers to the reckless activities of landowners who apparently are using some glaring loophole under the EU birds directive to scatter uncovered poison bait over farmland whenever they like. How this crazy situation has been allowed to develope given the increasing carnage its inflicting on birds of prey up and down the country beggers belief:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Not alone are the eagles in kerry being wiped by poison, but it now appears buzzards in the NE of the country are succumbing in frightening numbers to the reckless activities of landowners who apparently are using some glaring loophole under the EU birds directive to scatter uncovered poison bait over farmland whenever they like. How this crazy situation has been allowed to develope given the increasing carnage its inflicting on birds of prey up and down the country beggers belief:mad:

A couple of points:

1)What are you basing your asserting of "frightening numbers" to?. I'm aware of 2 definate and a third possible poisoning of Buzzards in the past year in the North East. Any further details would be appreciated.

2) The poisoning is not anything to do with loopholes. It is blatent disregard for the law, as there are clear rules which must be followed when the laying of poison is taking place and these are not being followed. In fairness though it does not seem that the Buzzards were the target of the poisonings.

• Advertisement

Check out my new thread on the subject:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Buzzards around my place this year as well (D15), havent had them before. I,m not sure where they are nesting, I think its along the Tolka between Ashtown and Dunsink Lane.
    Havent seen our usual local hunters the Kestrels so far this year - maybe the buzzards ran them out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

thanks for that........whenever i hear or see these, it just makes me stop and stare....amazing:D

very sad to think they are being threatened by poisening:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 123oclock

I work on a golf course in kildare and i see buzzards daily usually in the same area on the thermals..im looking forward to the nice summer days..the most ive seen at one time is 5 buzzards way up in the air.

123oclock wrote: »
    I work on a golf course in kildare and i see buzzards daily usually in the same area on the thermals..im looking forward to the nice summer days..the most ive seen at one time is 5 buzzards way up in the air.

Yeah -buzzards appear to be doing well in the county, particualry in the East and South. Long may it continue, particulary as i've noticed rabbits are starting to reach epidemic proportions in many places:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Yeah -buzzards appear to be doing well in the county, particualry in the East and South.

Hey don't try claim our soaring beast! Buzzards are at home in the northwest! :mad: :P
    County Donegal is the main strong hold of the species in the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Gaspode wrote: »
    Buzzards around my place this year as well (D15), havent had them before. I,m not sure where they are nesting, I think its along the Tolka between Ashtown and Dunsink Lane.
    Havent seen our usual local hunters the Kestrels so far this year - maybe the buzzards ran them out?

I've seen Kestrels in Blanch village twice being chased by crows. Could be yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭joe_elway

I saw my first Irish Buzzards last December down at my family home in north west Wexford. A pair with an adolescent fledgling, soaring, quartering and callin to each other. I found where they were roosting not long after ... the trail of kill sites in the fields led me to them pretty easily :D Rabbits, Starlings, Pigeons, etc.

The disappeared by the Spring. I'd gotten worried. Their roost is on a farm whose landowner loves wildlife so I had no concerns there. But he'd told me he'd seen them off over other neighbouring farms. I'd no idea what those landowners were like.

A few weekends ago, in heavy rain, I was drivin up the lane when I saw on 20 yards from my car, sitting on a kill in the long grass. I didn't stop - no point in disturbing it during nesting season, as much as I would have loved a photo.

There's an abundance of rabbits in the area now. That landowner has adopted wildlife friendly farming techniques.

I used to regularly see on on the motorway between Carlow and Castledermot. It even flew in front of my car one afternoon, apparently chasing a pigeon. I haven't seen it in 5 months now.

Hiya Joe,
    I was under the impression that they didn't chase prey like pigeons etc. I'd like to see that in action. There are a few around where I live - They must be a more sedate type of bird ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

I have a video of a buzzard catching a pigeon in mid flight! Took it in Donegal. I'll try get it onto youtube if I get a chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dec.foley

bad pics but is this a buzzard folks ?

thanks

Prey & Prey2 certainly look like buzzards. Particularly the lighter band on the underside of the wing. Prey1 is too dark & at a difficult angle to tell. Are they all pics of the same bird?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dec.foley

yeah same bird Bill, will get better pics over weekend.

Well done on getting those three for a start!

gary82 wrote: »
    I have a video of a buzzard catching a pigeon in mid flight! Took it in Donegal. I'll try get it onto youtube if I get a chance!

That would be great to see !! Ta.

• Advertisement
Advertisement