Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelie bin moochers

Options
  • 28-04-2009 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi
    Has anyone had the experience when you go to put your rubbish in your wheelie bin, and you find that it has been filled by someone else?

Every few weeks or so, our bin contains nappies and other rubbish, that we do not put there.

Sneaking suspicion that a friend of a neighbour is doing it, thinking the bin they are using is their neighbours. YOU ARE WRONG!!!

We dont have a baby (at least I dont think so).

I am about to put a sign on the bin now, and if that doesnt work, i will have to lock the wheelie bin. Has anyone done this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i believe you can buy gravity-locks for wheelie bins - ie when they're the right way up you need a key to open it, but the lock opens when the bin lorry turns it upside down. Where do you keep your bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JandS

hi

We keep our bin in a cubby hole behind our house (3 bed end-terrace apt, duplex above us)

Sounds like a plan - i'll search for the locks

thanks

I found this post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59323443

the (irish) ecostore locks are €60!!!! - while in England they are £20 for the same lock. Typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Decks

where did you live JandS? I know in the park the cubby hole belongs the people upstairs in the duplex and not to the people who live in the apartments below. Am i right??

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Decks wrote: »
    where did you live JandS? I know in the park the cubby hole belongs the people upstairs in the duplex and not to the people who live in the apartments below. Am i right??

Nope. It's a "common area". Apartments and duplexes don't include any property exterior to the unit. Technically, the little patios and lawns in front of the apartments don't belong to them either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waternews

They could be making a genuine mistake.
    Maybe just put your number on the lid/side of the bin, so it's clear that it's not the bin they think it is.
    See if that works before blowing a load of cash on locks.

After all - if they do really think that your bin is the right one, they'll be mightily upset when you lock it!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

its funny that this was posted - i saw a lad doing this today!! he was putting rubbish in my neighbours bin and then went sneaking off around the block into an apartment! i had a laugh at it, but it is obviously going on more than i thought!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Hide in the bin and you will see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

glenjamin wrote: »
    Hide in the bin and you will see.

scared-punch.gif

Mind you don't scare them.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

sagat wrote: »
    scared-punch.gif

Mind you don't scare them.

Thanks for that! Made me laugh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Decks

Maybe it is a genine mistake then. Say if they wanted two bins, where would they put them? I always believed it belonged to the people upstairs as they dont have a patio...

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I always believed it belonged to the people upstairs ...

That's what the selling agents told us, but after we moved in the builders' solicitors (and our own) set us straight.

as they dont have a patio..

But they have decks/balconies whatever you call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waternews

the builders' solicitors (and our own) set us straight
    If they're renting, they mightn't have been told.

I just think locks is a bit of an jump up the scale of escalation to war! put your number on or say something, and see what happens.
    If they still do it.. then locks seem like a good (if expensive!) idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 shay123

Hi I work in the pharmacy and could not believe that there was no room for our rubbish in our commercial bins. It seems that people have been putting theiir own rubbish in our bins.As a result the bins are now locked.There are televisions and numerous other items left.
    I pay for my own bin at home and would not dream of using someone elses bin.
    People are just plain cheeky in my view, use your own bin!!!

Our bins are a different supplier than upstairs, so don't think its confusion...

will try and put our number on the bin and see what happens

thanks all

Advertisement