Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matter Transportation/Multiple Avatars+Bodies and the Idea of the Soul/Self

Options
  • 26-04-2009 10:21pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Many sci-fi shows and novels feature the concept of matter transportation of the body. It's been around at least since the '30s (in an Arthur C. Clarke short story) but really brought to public attention with Star Trek. It's also featured in different flavours - such as wormholes in the Stargate universe. The basic concept of each is the disintegration of the current body and re-assembly on the other end (the exact details of each varying).

In addition to the idea of matter transportation, you'll find the concept of people creating clones or virtual avatars of themselves in science fiction novels. Normally there's a main self from which they split off clones or avatars for some purpose and, at a later date, re-integrate the experiences/memories and destroy the clone/avatar.

However, the thing is all these involve the destruction of either your original self or a copy. With matter transportation you could be re-creating yourself at the end from some template of your original self. Now it's the same physically as you, down to the atomic level, but is it still you? Are you killing yourself and only a copy of you lives on? Is there such a thing as a soul that carries through this transportation?
    For example in 'Star Trek' there's a transporter accident creating two Rikers. This lends credence to the idea that, when you teleport, you are destroying yourself and creating only another version of you and thus "dying".

Similarly if you clone yourself or create some form of avatar with your personality imprinted on it, are you condemning them to death? Do they have this same continuance of self? Are they less valid than the original - should they be killed? Are they less worthy than the original template they were spun off from?

Would you teleport or create these copies? Or would you be afraid that you'd be killing yourself and allowing a fully-exact copy to exist at the end destination instead of you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Currently, in the very basic "teleportation" we can do, the original is destroyed and copy created at the other side and this is not avoidable.
    However, I'd still go for it, who we are is the pattern of our brain, so an exact copy should re-create an exact you, as much as you are still the same you, you were when you went to sleep last night.

If you want an example of a book that has "clones" but no destruction of the original, you should try David Brin's "Kiln People", its quite good.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mcgovern wrote: »
    If you want an example of a book that has "clones" but no destruction of the original, you should try David Brin's "Kiln People", its quite good.
    I have - I was going to mention it but forgot. It's one of the few books I feel that deals with the idea of cloning and re-integrating personalities well, and how different ones can become new people. Incidentally I believe it was called "Killin' People" in the US but "Kil'n People" here (presumably they thought Americans wouldn't have the smarts to figure out the dual meaning in the name).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Weird that you should post this, I was thinking about this concept only yesterday!

I don't believe in a soul per se, but rather our consciousness comes purely from brain functions. However if matter transportation (a la Star Trek, for example) involves dismantling and reassembling every molecule of your brain, then you are essentially dead - non-existent - for a period of time.

As you suggest, the question then becomes - is the reconstructed you merely a copy that believes it is you - even though it never existed?

Given that the matter moves and is reconstructed I think technically it is the same physical person. Since consciousness (to me) is a result of brain matter interacting with itself, then once it is the same matter, it is the same "person". I tend to change my mind on this idea regularly though. :pac:

An interesting contrast to this was in an Arnie movie called The 6th Day where minds were downloaded and copied into new bodies. That scenario asks a few more philosophical questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭trout

There is a substantial sub-plot in Orson Scott Card's Ender's Saga / Children of the Mind which deals with "philotes" twining or binding with souls, in which people who are closely bound by love or family ties can literally create or recreate lliving copies of their loved ones. It's hinted at in the early novels, and in the Shadow series ... but more so in the last book where it is revealed that "souls" bind with philotes to create aiúa's ... or living philotes. These living philotes seem to be physical representations of "the soul" ... without which life as we know it is not possible (the philotic web).

It's an interesting plot device, but one I didn't really warm to ... especially in the last two Ender novels ... it almost seemed to me like he was struggling to close off the series ... and this plot device was press-ganged into service.

Through this device, Miro (a disabled person) "thinks" a clone of himself alive, perfect in almost every detail. Ender himself is able to recreate clones of his brother & sister while the original Peter and Valentine are still alive.

Ender's Game / Speaker for the Dead are so good, it's hard not to like the entire series ... but I think the quality tailed off towards the end :(

trout wrote: »
    There is a substantial sub-plot in Orson Scott Card's Ender's Saga / Children of the Mind which deals with "philotes" twining or binding with souls, in which people who are closely bound by love or family ties can literally create or recreate lliving copies of their loved ones. It's hinted at in the early novels, and in the Shadow series ... but more so in the last book where it is revealed that "souls" bind with philotes to create aiúa's ... or living philotes. These living philotes seem to be physical representations of "the soul" ... without which life as we know it is not possible (the philotic web).

It's an interesting plot device, but one I didn't really warm to ... especially in the last two Ender novels ... it almost seemed to me like he was struggling to close off the series ... and this plot device was press-ganged into service.

Through this device, Miro (a disabled person) "thinks" a clone of himself alive, perfect in almost every detail. Ender himself is able to recreate clones of his brother & sister while the original Peter and Valentine are still alive.

Ender's Game / Speaker for the Dead are so good, it's hard not to like the entire series ... but I think the quality tailed off towards the end :(

Yeah, didn't like that part myself, thought the series went downhill and got pretty hard to read near the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

One of the great questions alright. Dr. Michio Kaku has spoken about this on Coast to Coast AM. Essentially you are killed and reconstructed, as for a soul, that's more of a matter (pardon the pun) of faith. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Not to go off on a tagent, but our bodies are in constant flux, albeit at a much slower pace than say outright cloning. Cell die and are regenerated constantly in the body. In fact I read that within a 7 year period every cell in the body will have died and been "cloned".

So, this leads me to conclude that as time progresses, we are changing from one form to another. Inbetween there are spiritual, emotional, physiological and biochemical alterations, enhancements and degradations. Me 7 years ago was a different being to me now, yet very very similar.

Here's my theories:

1. Anything that has the ability to articulate its own existence and experiences, and willing and able to change oneself without the influence of outside forces, has a soul. So clones have souls.

2. If I stepped into a Twinner, and stepped down and turned to face my twin/clone/carbon-copy, we already are different people. I would feel the power of being the Original, the True Human. he would look at hus hands and feet and realise that he is the Replica, the New Human. He would already be at a disadvantage psychologically. Like alternate timelines spawned from differing events, we would be made of the same seed but grow in different directions.

3. If the Original were destroyed as part of the process, then I, the subject, will have died. No question. Yes the entire human psyche will eventually become communicable as a list of ones and zeroes. But I do not believe that as that stream of digitalife crosses from one pod to the other, that it lives. I believe that as soon as the analogue of life is reduced to numbers, it dies, if even for a nanosecond. The Copy will be born, and it will bear my characteristics and programming, and it will be me, but I will not be it. I will die.

4. Galaxy Quest named its transport device as the Digital Conveyor. It's a snazzy name and it implies the above scenario---hard-driving a life. However the source of its spoofery, the Star Trek transporter beam, always meant something different to me. With the splash and sparkle of bright light, the breakdown of people by molecules, I always saw it as a form of quantum displacement: a highly concentrated and carefully manipulated wormhole device that carried people across the intagible realm of so-called subspace. Like the Stargate, but less violent in its delivery system. In that case, Kirk and co never became digitized. (Note: Kirk and Saavik chatting as they rematerialised on Enterprise in Wrath of Khan.)

Not to go off on a tagent, but our bodies are in constant flux, albeit at a much slower pace than say outright cloning. Cell die and are regenerated constantly in the body. In fact I read that within a 7 year period every cell in the body will have died and been "cloned".
    That's an interesting one actually - we're not the same matter as we originally were. Our brains, and the inter-connections of neurons, have all shifted but yet we're still "us". So therefore that stream of consciousness is preserved.
    If I stepped into a Twinner, and stepped down and turned to face my twin/clone/carbon-copy, we already are different people. I would feel the power of being the Original, the True Human. he would look at hus hands and feet and realise that he is the Replica, the New Human. He would already be at a disadvantage psychologically. Like alternate timelines spawned from differing events, we would be made of the same seed but grow in different directions.
    Correct. Is either version more worthy than the other? Are they to be treated as separate individuals?
    3. If the Original were destroyed as part of the process, then I, the subject, will have died. No question. Yes the entire human psyche will eventually become communicable as a list of ones and zeroes. But I do not believe that as that stream of digitalife crosses from one pod to the other, that it lives. I believe that as soon as the analogue of life is reduced to numbers, it dies, if even for a nanosecond. The Copy will be born, and it will bear my characteristics and programming, and it will be me, but I will not be it. I will die.
    That's how I'd see it on a theoretical level. It's like copying a file to a different system on your folder - you're moving the 1s and 0s to a different location. It's still the same file but the bytes are on a different sector - the underlying strata has changed.

Let's look at it another way - the teleport device often works by de-constructing you at one end and re-constructing you at another. Maybe that's by advanced nano-reassembly or the re-constitution of you through a stargate. Now say that it doesn't deconstruct you at the start but still constructs the end copy - are both valid versions of you?

I believe Stargate touched on this in one episode - Teal'c got trapped in the Gate's buffer, implying that they were at some level being stored as a pattern or sequence within the Gate's system.

Could you store copies of individuals and re-construct them always: Picard has been captured by the Borg? Never mind, we'll reconstruct the previous pattern we stored of him when he last beamed out and he can kill Laquitus.
    And while you're at it, why not repeatedly construct them? Have an army of Picards using the replicators? Does the original personality become more diffuse or is it enhanced?

If you go down another level, to the atomic, every atom in your body will be replaced within a matter of days, so its not the physical that makes us who we are, so maybe the pattern? However, this of course is also constantly in flux as we learn/experience new things etc.
    Maybe its your stream of consciousness, but this, while not stored digitally, is just stored (and imperfectly at that) and thus, changeable. If you change someone's brain or memory, does this make them a new person?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I'm a little late to the thread... but I was reminded of this video...

• Advertisement

Actually 'Dollhouse' touched on this topic, albeit from a different angle. I'll spoiler it in case people haven't seen it:
    The dolls have a copy of people's personalities (or an amalgamation of them) and these people get to live again for a while before being wiped out - are they killed?

In general you wouldn't think it was the case but the episode 'Ghost' suggested this was the case when deWitt resurrected a friend of hers and asked whether she'd be willing to die again. If her friend is being killed again then it is, I suppose, an assisted suicide. However, the other personalities are wiped without knowing their fate - so is that murder? Being told "Are you ready for your treatement?" and then being wiped seems like it could be.

The same applies to the original person - they're copied onto a HD until their service is up. Is this HD the original person or a copy of them? What if you made two dolls with the same personality - which is the original, or correct one, given they're both extracted from bits on stored on a cylinder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Interesting thread. On a more technical note, the short story, the Jaunt by Stephen King, in a far to rare sci fi story from him, has people teleporting, but only unconsciously. A small boy teleports awake, and realises that even a microsecond of a non corporeal existence is hellish, and feels like close to an eternity with no physical frame of reference.

It should be mentioned, that hopefully your consciousness isn't tied to your physical body. People die all the time on the operating table. I know were only talking about seconds, but for that time, all body functions are gone. The brain cant support a conscience. Yet, people are brought back to life, and live full lives after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

oxygen wrote: »
    Interesting thread. On a more technical note, the short story, the Jaunt by Stephen King, in a far to rare sci fi story from him, has people teleporting, but only unconsciously. A small boy teleports awake, and realises that even a microsecond of a non corporeal existence is hellish, and feels like close to an eternity with no physical frame of reference.

Isn't Jaunt about more of a hyperspace sort of thingy?

Nah, I dont think so. What I got from it, was people usually teleported unconsciously. When a small boy tries it conscience he comes through the other end crazy. Maybe they teleport trough hyperspace or something sure, but the crux of it is definitely teleporting.

Just reading "The Prefect" where they interrogate backed-up versions of people, with their original selves killed. One doesn't mind that her main self was killed because she believes her back-up is just as valid a person. However, her lover sees his backed-up self (a beta) as being merely a collection of bits and not a valid self, so doesn't mind the beta being turned off.

Or another example was how in one series (won't say which for case of spoilers), a character doesn't realise he's only a simulation of his original self and indeed his continuance of memory is just an amalgamation of the multiple selves that have died over the centuries. In other words, it brings across the concept that you can't even trust your own memories and concept of self because they could be edited. Do androids dream of electric sheep indeed.

Whats the series? Come on, throw it in a spoiler there?

oxygen wrote: »
    Whats the series? Come on, throw it in a spoiler there?
    Neal Asher's Agent Cormac series where one of them turns out to be constantly re-created by Earth Central even though he just thought himself immortal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

kiffer wrote: »
    Isn't Jaunt about more of a hyperspace sort of thingy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jaunt

Wikipedia says no.

Advertisement