Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EMC - Good place to work?

Options
  • 23-04-2009 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking around for a software development position right now and I see EMC are hiring. Any current or past employees out there willing to offer an opinion of whta kind of place it is to work in?

Stugots

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I'm not a past employee of EMC but I would have thought any place to work right now is a good place! However, I hear they are cutting some jobs and moving some to India but I suppose that may be in different departments to the one you are looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I am past employee of a software development group in EMC, will send you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

JOBS are NOT going to India...............dont comment run_Forrest_run if you are in the company.

Great place to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

they advetise their jobs on recruitireland.com if you are interested. Think there are 2 senior software developer positions available at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

Skud wrote: »
    they advetise their jobs on recruitireland.com if you are interested. Think there are 2 senior software developer positions available at the moment.

Yes - thats where I saw the ad. It seems like an OK match for me. Just want to get a feel for what the work environment is like, particularly in SW development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

JOBS are NOT going to India...............dont comment run_Forrest_run if you are in the company.

Great place to work

eh? You sure about that?

Great place to work

This is a very broad statement Colonel, I worked in software in EMC for about 3 years and it was the worse job I ever had by a long shot. What department are you in?

EMC is such a big place and has so many departments (Finance, IT, Accounting, Hardware Testing, Accounting, HR, Software Development, etc, etc, etc) that saying "EMC is a good place to work" is a little far fetched.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

This is a very broad statement Colonel, I worked in software in EMC for about 3 years and it was the worse job I ever had by a long shot. What department are you in?

EMC is such a big place and has so many departments (Finance, IT, Accounting, Hardware Testing, Accounting, HR, Software Development, etc, etc, etc) that saying "EMC is a good place to work" is a little far fetched.

Maybe Stugots can update the thread with an actual department name, if there was one in the job description and he'll get more appropriate responses?

Theres nothing wrong though with saying that a place in general is a great place to work, no one can predict if your new supervisor will be a p***k but they can comment on company atmosphere, employee treatment etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭opus

Great place to work

Unfortunately some jobs are going to India, personally know one of the people who lost out in the move.

Maybe Stugots can update the thread with an actual department name, if there was one in the job description and he'll get more appropriate responses?

Advertised job is for hard disk diagnostic software. Does anybody have any opinions on the department that would be involved in that? How large is the department and what is its structure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

I worked there last year.

Was only there for the summer for experience for college and it was a great place to work.

Absolutely loved it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Here this might be of interest to ya:
    Walk around at EMC:
    http://www.itcork.ie/index.cfm?page=events&eventId=146
    You can become a member of It@Cork for free if you have a student number. They don't check if u are actually a student or not.

Bill-e wrote: »
    Here this might be of interest to ya:
    Walk around at EMC:
    http://www.itcork.ie/index.cfm?page=events&eventId=146
    You can become a member of It@Cork for free if you have a student number. They don't check if u are actually a student or not.

Cheers - I think I'll do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

opus wrote: »
    Unfortunately some jobs are going to India, personally know one of the people who lost out in the move.

Buddy went to India a couple of years ago to help set up the call centre and train the Indian EMC call centre employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

There's a guy who works in that office doing a part time course with me. It's not actually the EMC software dept - several different depts have their own dedicated software people. It's the symmetrix software group. From what I hear all the supervisors in that dept are sound enough. The people you'd be working with all seem to be in their mid-twenties and all seem sound enough. There's one guy with a goatee who's meant to be a bit of a knob-end though.

Hope you don't get the job OP - I applied too :D

The people you'd be working with all seem to be in their mid-twenties and all seem sound enough.

That could be said about most depts in there actually, the average age in the plant would be young enough, late twenties to mid thirties I suppose.

Canteen out there is decent enough, wide range of choice and prices are quite well subsidised too. They don't vary the menu enough though...

Would any current or ex employees care to comment on what the compensation and benefits are like? Is there a good sports and social club?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 yamelieno

There's a guy who works in that office doing a part time course with me. It's not actually the EMC software dept - several different depts have their own dedicated software people. It's the symmetrix software group. From what I hear all the supervisors in that dept are sound enough. The people you'd be working with all seem to be in their mid-twenties and all seem sound enough. There's one guy with a goatee who's meant to be a bit of a knob-end though.

Hope you don't get the job OP - I applied too :D

Hi there,
    Anyone had any idea on EMC' salary for a customer service role in Cork?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 FixYa

Hey guys you both apllied - who got the job? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Wow! Never seen a thread zombified twice before! :D

Surely EMC is gone now that all the jobs are in India.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Bacchus wrote: »

Hardly. Beween VCE, VMware and the huge storage core operation out the road, EMC as very much still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Bacchus wrote: »

They've been in India since 05 and the Cork operation has grown every year since. The writing's on the wall all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Wasn't Bacchus being sarcastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Think it is suppose to be great if you can get in there.Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭opus

Milly33 wrote: »
    Think it is suppose to be great if you can get in there.Good luck with it

It's grand although your mileage might vary depending on which group you're in. I've worked there twice & would still be there except I got a handy job where I could walk to work.

Definitely not going away but rather expanding out in Mahon now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Wasn't Bacchus being sarcastic?

The heat must be messing with people's sarcasm radar :)

Thread started in 2009. Picked up again in 2012 and now here we are. I for one can't wait for the next instalment in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Sadly this thread just didn't know when to lay down and die....so I'll help it on its way :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement