Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

18-04-2009, 14:39   #1
DrumSteve

Garda Checkpoints

Two Points:

it is just me or has it been a long time since you seen a garda checkpoint? maybe im just skilled at unintentionally avoiding them or summit lol but it seems like ages since i seen one.have they been cutting back on the traffic corp?

Also i dont get why they announce in advance when they are putting out checkpoints or extra patrols? surely the whole excercise of thos things is to catch people out not just make them change their driving for three days or whatever.
Advertisement
18-04-2009, 14:42   #2
Connrang

Funny that you mention them, came across one today in Athlone, well hidden in a gateway and two cars pulled in, one national other non-national.

The weather is good so they are enjoying it..
18-04-2009, 14:44   #3
timmywex

Garda overtime has been cut masively, so naturally checkpoints will be cut back as well!

In the last 7 months ive come across one checkpoint, that was in dublin at christmas, and i got waved through. I am quite suprised at the lack of checkpoints on the roads these days!
18-04-2009, 15:04   #4
tbh
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumSteve View Post
Two Points:

it is just me or has it been a long time since you seen a garda checkpoint? maybe im just skilled at unintentionally avoiding them or summit lol but it seems like ages since i seen one.have they been cutting back on the traffic corp?

Also i dont get why they announce in advance when they are putting out checkpoints or extra patrols? surely the whole excercise of thos things is to catch people out not just make them change their driving for three days or whatever.
I've seen a fair amount of checkpoints recently, I had a new car and was waiting for the tax and insurance to come through and it seemed like I hit a checkpoint every day! never got stopped mind you Also, the point of the exercise isn't really to catch the offenders, although that's a nice bonus, but rather to slow people down. That's what they say anyway. A couple of weeks ago I was coming out of the port tunnel doing 80 on the nose and there was a truck a playing cards distance from my ass who forced me to go up to a ton, because there were cars in the overtaking lane. I was wondering at the time, if I got done for speeding by a mobile van, would I have a case if I asked them - given that they say the intention is not to catch offenders, but to slow people down - why they put me at risk by not stopping the truck behind me? sorry, kinda off topic
18-04-2009, 17:28   #5
Lord Nikon

If you dont see any checkpoints keep it to yourself. We don't need someone jinxing it and they all pop up over the weekend?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-04-2009, 17:42   #6
Random
Closed Account

Was thinking the same thing as you OP until I was coming home the last night. THere was 2 Garda in the middle of the road with the dirtiest high-vis and the weakest torches you've ever seen checking tax / insurance / whatever.

I've no problem with checkpoints but I really think they should use those blue cats eye type things on the road so drivers can see this obstruction on the road. The gardai are just asking to get knocked down.

I don't think this was "low profile" to surprise people or whatever though because there is no way to avoid it withou the gardai seeing even if you saw it in advance.
18-04-2009, 18:27   #7
Tipsy Mac

Since the budget at the end of last year I have not seen one, before this I must have seen 5 in the space of 3 months.
18-04-2009, 18:31   #8
lancerwall

funny enough i said the same thing to a friend the other day about not meeting a checkpoint in months, in the next 3 days i meet 4 checkpoint what are the odds
18-04-2009, 18:32   #9
donvito99

Quote:
Its not a revenue generating activity, its to change peoples attitude about driving dangerously/speeding/driving without tax/insurance/NCT etc.
Thats why they give prior notice to motorists.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-04-2009, 20:52   #10
Alzar

Ran into my first one in months today. Going to Malahide from the M1.
6 Gardai & 3 cars...safety in numbers

Al.
18-04-2009, 20:58   #11
Curran

Same as above - passed them at 12.30 this afternoon! Got waved throught, but they had 3 or 4 cars in the hard shoulder getting them to fill the bag!!

They were on the R127, half way between the M1 and the estuary roundabout
18-04-2009, 21:04   #12
whoopsadaisydoodles
Beeeeeeeeeeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbh View Post
I was coming out of the port tunnel doing 80 on the nose and there was a truck a playing cards distance from my ass who forced me to go up to a ton, because there were cars in the overtaking lane. I was wondering at the time, if I got done for speeding by a mobile van, would I have a case if I asked them - given that they say the intention is not to catch offenders, but to slow people down - why they put me at risk by not stopping the truck behind me? sorry, kinda off topic
I don't have the foggiest notion why people would feel they have to go faster because some idiot is up your hole, tough sh*t for them, they're behind you, how can they "make" you go faster. Makes zero sense. Anyway, sorry that was off topic too!

Haven't seen a checkpoint in a very long time.
Thanks from:
18-04-2009, 21:17   #13
Heroditas

Came across one at the entrance to Glenn Easton Park in Leixlip this afternoon. Two Gardai and a patrol car.
18-04-2009, 21:31   #14
Sarcasmo2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzar View Post
Ran into my first one in months today. Going to Malahide from the M1.
6 Gardai & 3 cars...safety in numbers

Al.
Passed the same one ealier today... lots of patrol cars and about half a dozen Garda bikes parked up. For some reason everyone had merged into the right-hand lane after coming around the roundbout.

First time I'd seen a check point with the animated 'matrix' signs positioned above a garda car.
18-04-2009, 22:02   #15
Top Dog

Quote:
Ever notice that when they announce the blitz' you NEVER see them? Its like they announce it, expect everyone to be scared to do anything stupid, and as a result they don't feel the need to actually act at all.

Take the traditional Christmas blitz - I drove nearly 2000 miles over the last Christmas season. Took in all of Munster, some of Leinster and touched on Connaught. Didn't see a single patrol car in that 2000 miles!

Oh and last check-point I saw was just over 2 weeks ago.
Thanks from:
Thread Closed