Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There must be something in the water in Claregalway, ..... something good !!!

Options
  • 18-04-2009 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

CLAREGALWAY , CO GALWAY

Claregalway (official name: Baile Chláir and sometimes also referred to in Irish as Baile Chláir na Gaillimhe) is a village situated about 10km from the city of Galway in County Galway, Ireland. It was founded on the banks of the River Clare, hence the derivation of its name: Baile Chláir na Gaillimhe meaning "town on the Clare, in Galway".

Province: Connacht
    County: County Galway
    Elevation: 12 m

Population (2002)
    - Town: 562
    - Environs: 1,635

source wikipedia

Nothing unusual about those stats .... except for an unusual poker stat.... three well known and sucessful players are all from the same town
      Jude Ainsworth ( J.Thaddeus on stars )
        Derek Murray ( greenrizla on stars )
          and Fintan Gavin

and all three live within a stones throw of each other !! literally

We are all aware of Judes recent win on pokerstars where he took down the SCOOP main event winning aprox. $1,000,000 for his efforts (according to bluff magazine that makes over 1.6m winnings todate )He took third place in the Euro finals gold championships at the Aviation club in Paris this year collecting a cool €47,000 he was also the main event winner of the IPC in 2008 !!!!
          Derek scored a third in the wynn in Las Vegas in march this year along with winning the Lakes of Killarney festival , the Macau winter festival (2008)and he made the final table appearance on the IPC main event this year and is recognised as one of the top pokerstars players around.
          Fintan as we all know cashed for almost €1,000,000 when finishing second in the EPT in Barcelona late last year and then came back and finished second in the overall rankings of the IPC tour last year !

All three players have a lot more results to their names but I've just mentioned the main ones above ( I am open to correction )

I was attempting to do the math/precentages etc. on this but its off the wall stuff

So I guess what I'm saying folks if all else fails and you need something to kickstart your poker carrer I suggest moving to Claregalway , located 10km outside Galway city and start drinking the water

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

I heard the beer in the Eglinton is laced with Ritalin...I have absolutely no facts to back this up but I'm sure it's true:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

I stayed in the claregalway hotel last week but obviously made the mistake of drinking Guinness and not the water

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

xkcd-correlation.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

xkcd-correlation.jpg

My Head hurts:D

PS i hear the boys in Galway slaughter a virgin to one of the gods for good tourney results, could be wrong though:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

PS i hear the boys in Galway slaughter a virgin to one of the gods for good tourney results, could be wrong thoug
          They tried but they couldn't find any virgins!

• Advertisement
        • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

pgodkin wrote: »
          My Head hurts:D

PS i hear the boys in Galway slaughter a virgin to one of the gods for good tourney results, could be wrong though:rolleyes:

obviously untrue... sheep or goat maybe... but a virgin.... impossible.... where would you find one of them in galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Mmmm only 59km.............
          Start out at Claregalway,Galway Uncl. 0.0

0.1 Turn left onto the N17 N17 0.1

20.5 Continue forward onto the N17 Entering Tuam N17 20.6

14.8 Continue forward onto the N17 Entering Milltown N17 35.4

7.5 Continue forward onto the N17 Entering Ballindine N17 42.9

13.4 Turn right Uncl. 56.3

1.2 Continue forward onto Esker Meadows Uncl. 57.5

0.7 Bear left onto Knock Uncl. 58.2

0.4 Continue forward Entering Knock Uncl. 58.6

0.6 Continue forward onto Knock Uncl. 59.3

0.0 Finish on Knock,Mayo Uncl. 59.3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Macspower wrote: »
          obviously untrue... sheep or goat maybe... but a virgin.... impossible.... where would you find one of them in galway?

Not even the sheep or goats are virgins in Galway, but hey - whatever floats yer boat.

It is a well known fact that the reason for the high standard of play is that they get a better game, hence better practice, than most places. That Poker Events Game that used to be held on Tuesday nights in The Central Tavern (Claregalway) was one of the toughest pub games around. If you could beat that, you could do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

fatguy wrote: »
          They tried but they couldn't find any virgins!
          Macspower wrote: »

Yeah but you can order almost anything of the internet these days;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Tribezz

Jaden wrote: »
          Not even the sheep or goats are virgins in Galway, but hey - whatever floats yer boat.

It is a well known fact that the reason for the high standard of play is that they get a better game, hence better practice, than most places. That Poker Events Game that used to be held on Tuesday nights in The Central Tavern (Claregalway) was one of the toughest pub games around. If you could beat that, you could do anything.

That Tuesday game was great craic, shame it's not still on the go!

Well done to the 3 lads masive results. WSOP.................;)

• Advertisement
        • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Davewolf

Ainsworth takes down the Wednesday Freezeout @ The Eglinton race week Wednesday tournament , but not Jude or Conor

Aisling Ainsworth has shown she clearly is Judes better half. Having arrived late to the tournament she had been blinded down to under 7000 in chips and there were already 29 players, from the massive 111 runner field, eliminated. Mrs J.Thaddeus got to a flyer and had trebled up in her first level of play and never looked back.

Jude had a good run in the tournament himself, even try to take out Aisling a couple of times but in the end 14th was the best he could manage and he was relegated to the rail to lead Aislings cheering section. Richard Fitzgerald was the player to suffer most at the hands of lady luck, having his Aces cracked twice by Aisling, first with 85 and then with 88 to be knocked out in 4th place.

With over a million chips in play the heads up against Chris Dowling lasted over an hour. Chris eventually made a big all-in move with 66 and ran straight into KK. No 6 came and another title is going back to Claregalway.

The have to start bottleing that water !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Irish Iron

obviously not a real place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Davewolf wrote: »
          The have to start bottleing that water !!!!
          Cryptosporidium strikes again!

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

Ballyhale (Baile hÉil in Irish) is a village in County Kilkenny in Ireland. It is south of the city of Kilkenny, roughly half way between Kilkenny and Waterford. There are three parts that make up the Parish of Ballyhale. They are Knocktopher, Knockmoylan and Ballyhale.

Province: Leinster
          County: County Kilkenny
          Elevation: 0m

Nothing unusual about those stats .... except for an unusual hurling stat....
          three well known and sucessful players are all from the same town:eek::eek::eek:... Henry Shefflin, James 'Cha' Fitzpatrick and TJ Reid

and all three live within a hurly swing of each other !! literally

We are all aware of Shefflin's ability to put the ball over the bar and Cha Fitzpatrick bounce back ability to throw in another great performance and not to mention TJ Reid ability to come on as a sub and stick over 4 points in an All-Ireland Final.

All three players have a lot more results to their names but I've just mentioned the main ones above ( I am open to correction )

I was attempting to do the math/precentages etc. on this but its off the wall stuff

So I guess what I'm saying folks if all else fails and you need something to kickstart your hurling carrer I suggest moving to Ballyhale , located close to the Deise land and start drinking their water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭kakak1

pity it's in Kilkenny :p

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Davewolf

The Raceweek Main Event in The Eglinton was won by Conor Maguire , he took it down and landed the €6350 top prize ....... and you guessed it :eek: yes he's a neigbour of Derek and Judes ...... a Claregalway resident !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

too small a sample imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Ainsworth urged to drop MoD payouts appeal

Saw this on the news this morning - Wondered what Jude was up to - Then discovered it was the UK Defence Secretary :D

Congrats Conor on the win. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭fumyname

the winner of the final event of the week in the eglinton and the last ipr ranking event is...............wait for it.........

also from claregalway!! well done lorna ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

fumyname wrote: »
          the winner of the final event of the week in the eglinton and the last ipr ranking event is...............wait for it.........

also from claregalway!! well done lorna ;)

Serious!!? ok now im really starting to think that maybe there is sumtin in the water??:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
        Advertisement