Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Science

Options
  • 14-04-2009 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Can anyone enlighten me?

Hours? Modules? Number of students? Prospects?

Can I still change course for next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Oisín Collins

The hours are ok, less than engineering but more than arts. usually in the 20-25 a week region.

6 modules a year, generally spilt with one psychology, one biomechanics (physics based), one physiology (biology based), one Sports applications module (project based) and then 2 others. Equal credits and equally weighted grades for all subjects.

When I graduated there were about 65 students in my year, which had started at about 70 or so. Probably slightly bigger now, maybe the 75 region?

As regards prospects, Sports Science has one of the highest rates of people either getting a job or continuing into further education and then getting one. A lot of people use it as a fall back from Physiotherapy or PE teaching and they wouldn't have a huge interest in doing the kind of jobs sports science qualifies you for.

In that sense by the way, it's a good course to learn a lot but you end up without a lot of specific qualifications in stuff like conditioning and coaching which is a bit annoying, but if you did want to go into a particular field you'd have a massive head start on other people on the courses and can often get a discounted rate.

Specific job prospects - as quoted from the prospectus and I can verify that all these are actual people who got these jobs cos we saw records during career services and stuff:

Career Opportunities
    Graduates from this programme are equipped to provide leadership and scientific expertise in sport exercise, health and related areas. The following are some of the areas which graduates have gone to.

* Sport science advisors/fitness co-ordinators/development officers/administrators with National Sports Agencies and National Governing Bodies of Sport.
    * Health promotion officers and research officers with Health Boards
    * Sports media/journalism including television
    * Health and fitness advisors, including fitness testing, exercise prescription, fitness consulting, exercise rehabilitation for specific populations
    * Physiotherapy and sport rehabilitation (graduates from this programme have gained exemptions and are eligible for selected shortened courses in Ireland and Britain)
    * Biomedical science, biomedical engineering, ergonomics, medical physics, robotics
    * Postgraduate research training in areas such as exercise physiology, genetics and exercise, osteoporosis, muscle repair, growth factors, biomechanics, physiotherapy and psychology of physical activity at universities in Ireland, Britain and USA
    * College and university lecturing in sport and exercise science, health science and other related fields
    * Some find employment in areas outside those of sport, exercise and health. Employers recognise that, having undergone a rigorous intellectual training, such graduates have abilities, knowledge and skills which can be applied in a variety of other fields with appropriate training (e.g. computer science and software engineering, public relations, accountancy, marketing).

You can still switch first preferences yes, check here for details.

Hope all that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

* Postgraduate research training in areas such as exercise physiology, genetics and exercise, osteoporosis, muscle repair, growth factors, biomechanics, physiotherapy and psychology of physical activity at universities in Ireland, Britain and USA
    [/SIZE]
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.
    If I completed the four year sports science degree how many more years would it take to become a Physio also could I get into Physio after one year if not two years of this course? Do the modules overlap much?

Thanks.

Advertisement