Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tournament Schedule

Options
  • 07-04-2009 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭

Starting from this Wednesday (8th) we will be changing the Tournament Schedule. Unfortunately, the Pot Limit Irish Tournament was unsuccessful so that has been taken off and Satellites have now been moved to Saturdays.

Please find below the New Schedule....

Please note that all Tournaments are “No Limit” Texas Hold’em unless otherwise stated.

Mondays €40 + €5 Freezeout. Starting Stack : 5,000. Clock : 20/25 minutes.

Tuesdays €35 + €10 + €5 Scalp Tournament. 1 x €30 Rebuy or Top-up. Starting Stack : 3,000. Rebuy/Top-up : 4,000. Clock : 20/25 minutes. Players will receive a €10 bounty for every opponent they knock out of the Tournament.

Wednesdays €10 + €5. 4 x €10 Rebuys or 3 x €10 Rebuys + 1 x €10 Top-up. Starting Stack : 1,000. 1st Rebuy : 1,500. 2nd Rebuy : 2,000. 3rd Rebuy : 2,500. 4th Rebuy/Top-up : 4,000. 20 minute clock.

Thursdays €50 + €5 Double Chance Freezeout.Starting Stack : 2,500 + 2,500. Clock : 20/25 minutes. Players will receive half their chips at the start of play and may call for their remaining chips at any time in the first 80 minutes. The 2nd Thursday of the Month : €100 + €10 Double Chance Freezeout.

Fridays €40 + €5. 1 x €40 Rebuy or Top up. Starting Stack : 3,000. Rebuy/Top-up : 4,000. Clock : 20/25 minutes.

Saturdays Satellite Saturdays Please check the website or notice board for full details.

Sundays 7.30pm Start €50 + €5 Freezeout. Starting Stack : 5,000. Clock : 20/25 minutes.

An Early Bird Chip of 500 points will be given to every player that is in their seat for the start of play of every Tournament
    Please note All Tournaments start at 9pm Sharp unless otherwise stated. Any queries please contact the Poker room on 01-7030600 or check our website www.thesportingemporium.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bigbadpat

Looks good but would like to see at least one Deeper Stack Tournament once a month that is better value such as on the first Thursday of the Month €50 + €10 Freezeout. Starting Stack : 10,000. Clock : 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

That Wednesday tournie is an absolute mess, get rid of it. I played that monthly Monday game with the blinds nicreasing every 2.5 minutes last night very interesting game, switch that to Wednesday and i could see that easily becoming a great little numbers tournie.

Best of luck with the rest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭hatedajacks

Yuck! The Old Wednesday scalp game should have been brought back. That multi re buy is horrible. Better fun playing roulette than try that tourney again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Wednesday needs a better game. Fitz is €20 rebuy and Jackpot is €40 F/O. Make it the old scalps game with one rebuy or top-up and your onto a winner IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

100 dc or 115 scalps on the wed would work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

as a SE regular, I have to say that this tournament schedule looks very poor and I'd have little interest in it (apart from the second Thursday of the month and monthly games)

wake up lads, do some research and find out what the punters want!

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭S.Emporium

Tuesday 14th April.

9pm Start.

Cash Game League Play off.

9.15pm Start.

€35 + €10 + €5 Scalp Tournament. 1 x Rebuy.

Ugh, about half way into the tournie i started to feel as sick as a dog, had been feeling a little dodgey earlier on in the day, doing my best to hold it together, i just couldnt stop shaking and shivering i felt absolutely roasting thou, head was sore stomach was doing flips.

Eventually had to walk away from the table knowing i was about to throw up, think i had a small case of food poisoning or something, fair play to the people in the tournie they came in to make sure i was ok and pasued the clock so as to give me a chance to regain my composure, big thank you for that :)

With only 12 people qualified and only 9 turning up i certainly didnt want to give in, with over 7k in the prizepool i wanted to get a nice little scoop. Push through the pain and all that!

Ended up finishing 3rd so was pretty happy with that, after Eddie The Eagle tried to pull some mad bluff on me, nearly worked :o but i made the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

12 people qualified and only 9 pople turned up :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

SWAR wrote: »
    12 people qualified and only 9 pople turned up :eek:

and only 7k in the pool, what was the Jackpot equivalent - something like 30k?

last legs for the SE poker room methinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mickste

Yeah hope your felling better danny, 2 k for first for a 9 player tourney was nice

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

mickste wrote: »
    Yeah hope your felling better danny, 2 k for first for a 9 player tourney was nice

I take it you won it Ste?

mickste wrote: »

Cheers again Mick, i take it you won it? Nice come back from 375 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mickste

yep didnt last too long after you left danny,oberon was second

Ship ship, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Pabloh

Well done Mick. Pity about the poor numbers (although not for you! :D ) Should have been easy to qualify too. I didn't even try as I would have needed to spend 14 hours there over the weekend of the IO.

I really believe that if the SE wants to get decent tournament numbers and therefore more cash players early in the night they need to consider a few options:

1. Get rid of the over 21 age policy. If they want to enforce a stricter dress code in order to discourage certain people from the main gaming room they could do that but they're missing out on a supply line of players if they block the early college crowd. As it is they go to the Fitz or Jackpot and with no decent game to lure them into the SE they're not going to change venue.

2. Have more tournaments with online qualifiers. The BetDaq thing got a number of people in to play and also had a few local qualifiers. They also have something coming up with a poker lecture and tournament attended by the Devilfish. From what I understand though there are only a very few places available to punters off the street and most have to be won/purchased online. I think it's limited to 60 places with only around 10 available to purchase directly. Something like this should have about half the places available to purchase through the club and if not purchased early on then maybe release the rest a week or so in advance online. Tournaments with internet qualfiers may help in a number of ways:
    a) Bring new players to the club
    b) Attract old/existing players back to a tournament they know is getting some decent numbers

3. Assign some of the cash league money as bonuses for regular tournaments. Not all players who contribute to the cash league qualify for it. In the overall interest of the club and rejuvenating attendance figures I doubt too many would object to taking 20% of the cash league money and adding it as a bonuses to small tournaments. A 50+5 tournament with 500 added would be likely to attract more players and these may in turn come back for other games or play cash afterwards.

My 2c

AFAIK they are running a tournie with tickets reserved for regular SE players. As for your idea of taking money out of cash games to give to tournaments i for one would definitely be against that.

Why Danny? It's often the same players who play both. And the cash league is generated by contributions from pots over €20 - an awful lot of the people involved never make the 60 hours required to qualify. One of the reasons you have no cash game players is the lack of numbers in the tournaments. Traditionally games would start when players were knocked out of the tourney and now there's hardly any players. As a cash game player I'd be happy for some sort of incentive to get tournament numbers up initially in order to attract more cash players. Also I'd be happy to take my shot in the money added tournaments.

Pabloh wrote: »
    Why Danny? It's often the same players who play both. And the cash league is generated by contributions from pots over €20 - an awful lot of the people involved never make the 60 hours required to qualify. One of the reasons you have no cash game players is the lack of numbers in the tournaments. Traditionally games would start when players were knocked out of the tourney and now there's hardly any players. As a cash game player I'd be happy for some sort of incentive to get tournament numbers up initially in order to attract more cash players. Also I'd be happy to take my shot in the money added tournaments.

There is still an awful lot of people who just play tournies and would not go anywhere near a cash game. Over the last while i have noticed that when there has been decent numbers, people who got knocked out of the tournie just got up and left.

As for me i play bout but for some reason i just dont like the idea of it, i think leave the cash the way it is, maybe bring back the tournament league that they had before. The incentive they have to give is to start by guaranteeing at least one tournie a week and see how things go from there.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Taking from cash for tournie would be conterproductive for all bar the few who play both regularly. As for the Tournie league that took a % from the prizepool, if this came back then that would certainly put off a lot of the non regulars. I would have been an occasional player if numbers were reliable, but lack of numbers mean that transient poker players will not go there. Catch 22 really.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Taking from cash for tournie would be conterproductive for all bar the few who play both regularly. As for the Tournie league that took a % from the prizepool, if this came back then that would certainly put off a lot of the non regulars. I would have been an occasional player if numbers were reliable, but lack of numbers mean that transient poker players will not go there. Catch 22 really.

If it was an ongoing thing I'd agree but the thing here is to figure out how to get bodies in the door. If guarantees aren't forthcoming from management they might back the idea of adding money to tourneys to get people in. The numbers who play cash are very small in the SE and if you used 20% of the cash league money to add 500 to a tournament every month you may get a greater return in terms of those who actually stay to play cash. Just an idea and I suppose it would only be dis/proven if tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Agree that it's al labout the guarantees to get the numbers back to the SE. Was a regular there for a long time and have played there maybe 5 times this year at most (sober anyway), only on Sundays or Thursdays.

Harold and Vera were on about this last night and the idea of a joint tournie and cash league was mentioned, but not sure if (or how) that would work. They could stick a very big guaranteed prize pool on a joint one though and get people in the doors.

Everyone who plays the cash games and clocks up a number of hours within the allocated period has contributed to the cash game prize pool - Therefore they should have a chance to participate in the tournament for the cash game prize pool.

Obviously those who have contributed more by playing more hours should have a greater chance of a playing & winning.

The last cash game league ran for 10 weeks between Monday 2nd February to Sunday 12th April.

Every player that played 50 hours or more in the Sporting Emporium cash games while the league is running, qualified for the play off tournament on Tuesday 14th April.

What I am proposing is that all the players who clocked up a number of hours within the designated time period (i.e. 2nd Feb to 12th Apr) would be divided into the following time range groups, namely

a) 40 hours and over but less than 50 hours
    b) 30 hours and over but less than 40 hours
    c) 20 hours and over but less than 30 hours
    d) 10 hours and over but less than 20 hours
    e) Less than 10 hours

All the hours clocked up for the players within a particular time range [as per a) to e) above] would be totaled separately and the total number of hours divided by 50 to give the number of tickets in the play off tournament for that group.

On the night of the play off tournament (say at 20:45) there would be a separate draw for the play off tickets within each group.To qualify for the play off ticket the player must be present at the time of the draw for his group otherwise the ticket is redrawn. If nobody present from the group then the ticket is available to the next group.

The starting stack for each group would be reduced by 500 less than the previous. Thus the starting stack for the 40/50 hours group would be 500 less than those with 50 hours or more - and for the less than 10 hours group 2500 less than 50 hours (or more) group.

The Sporting Emporium would run a second tournament on the night of the play off tournament (say at 21:15) with a buy in available up to an hour after the start . Thus this tournament would be available to those who turned up for the draw but did not get a ticket or only qualified with a short stack and were knocked out early.

It should be possible to let members know by email or text message their number of hours credited etc. each week.

In the last cash game league that ran for 10 weeks between Monday 2nd February to Sunday 12th April my estimate from memory is that there would have been

11 players in 40/50 hours group clocking up 483 hours qualifying for 9 tickets – starting stack 4,500
    12 players in 30/40 hours group clocking up 417 hours qualifying for 8 tickets – starting stack 4,000
    13 players in 20/30 hours group clocking up 322 hours qualifying for 6 tickets – starting stack 3,500
    14 players in 10/20 hours group clocking up 209 hours qualifying for 4 tickets – starting stack 3,000
    15 players in 0/10 hours group clocking up 73 hours qualifying for 1 ticket – starting stack 2,500

Obviously the above woulld be adjusted when the league runs for a shorter/longer period and there is a lower/higher qualifying number of hours etc.

In response to the thread by Pabloh:
    I woud also be in favour of taking some money out of the cash prize fund (subject to a maximim of 20 %) to be used as a guarantee to other tournaments.

I would also be in favour of reducing the age limit for poker to allow players under 21. If necessary they could be restricted from the gaming floor.

The Sporting Emporium needs to do something rather than continue the way it is going to get more poker players in the door & retain them.

I notice that the SE poker room is not the only floor with reduced numbers because on most weekday nights there is a reduced number of people on the gaming floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭S.Emporium

Tuesday 21st April.

€35 + €10 + €5 Scalp Tournament.

1 x €30 Rebuy or Top-up.

Starting Stack : 3,000 (plus an early bird chip of 500 if you are in your seat for the start of play)

Rebuy/Top-up : 4,000.

Clock : 20/25 minutes.

9pm Start.

Not sure if the SE read outside of this forum, but a thread has been brewing for the last while reagrds the place, so i think it should be linked into here to give them a chance to view it and hopefully come back with a response for the thread.

Finally given up on The Sporting Emporium

Thanks Danny....................
    I heard it mentioned last Thursday in the SE but assumed wrongly that it was this thread

Advertisement