Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ DTT Tests: Maghera

Options
  • 06-04-2009 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

Mayo Exile has reported receiving channels on Ch 48 in Mayo this am. Maghera was planned to use Ch48 for DTT. Any confirmations that Maghera is now broadcasting DTT?

Update: Seems like this is not Maghera but could be Castlebar?

Further Update: Confirmed as Maghera on Ch48

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

At GE06 Maghera was the only transmitter in the country assigned/alloted Ch. 48.
    Castlebar's assigned/alloted channels are 22, 23, 25, 26, 28, 29, 32, 33.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

There was a report of reception in Galway on Ch48. This would make Maghera the likely culprit. Would be good news if so, as this would be all the major transmitters active.

slegs wrote: »
    Would be good news if so, as this would be all the major transmitters active.

except Holywell Hill

Just had a note confirming that it is Maghera live on Ch48

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tjspock

just scanned maghera and the 4 irish channels coming in at 95% in my clarke tech combo great pic here in north kerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Receiving at 80% strength here(near Roscrea)...this is off the back of an old antenna !

I now have the choice of 4 different feeds(Kippure is off though atm)....When I get my aerial fixed(it's getting worst for wear and shifted in the wind) where should I point it..suppose Cairn Hill as all analogues are on UHF

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'm getting it now too from Maghera... RTE 1, RTE 2, TV3, TG4 and the RTE radio channels... all on my Sony Bravia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Scottish paddy

The Cush wrote: »
    except Holywell Hill
    I don't think Holywell Hill is classed as a main transmitter anyway..........so Slegs would be right.......all main transmitters are indeed active, which is not bad going for RTÉNL ........fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The Cush wrote: »
    except Holywell Hill

That's not a main transmitter, just a relay according to RTENL..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Strange how im closer to Truskmore with my grid aerial pointing north (Im in Mayo near castlebar) and the channel 48 transmissions from Maghera are stronger than the Truskmore transmissions on 53 & 57.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Any idea lads if I should be able to see an EPG with this? I have all the channels crystal clear (this is on a new-ish Sony TV), but no programme information whatsoever. I searched on here and saw some suggest you need to set the TV to UK region... I tried that, but still no joy.

Perhaps no EPG data from Maghera yet?

I don't think Holywell Hill is classed as a main transmitter anyway..........so Slegs would be right.......all main transmitters are indeed active, which is not bad going for RTÉNL ........fair play to them.
    That's not a main transmitter, just a relay according to RTENL..

According to RTÉNL, BCI, ComReg it is a Main Transmitter, not a relay and is to be rolled out with the other main transmitters before the end of Q2 2009 together with three relays - Woodcock Hill, Dungarvan and Greystones.

JoeA3 wrote: »

I have full EPG from Mahera on an MVision Box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Any idea lads if I should be able to see an EPG with this? I have all the channels crystal clear (this is on a new-ish Sony TV), but no programme information whatsoever. I searched on here and saw some suggest you need to set the TV to UK region... I tried that, but still no joy.

This is NOT a fault of your TV. RTENL are doing some tests with EPG, which means some boxes get the epg and other dont. When tests are over this should all be resolved. Some of us had epg last week, some of us lost the epg yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Delighted to hear it. Now to buy a box for testing!

Noticed 3 on analogue looked a little fuzzy today. Probably just a coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Originally posted by slegs: Mayo Exile has reported receiving channels on Ch 48 in Mayo this am.

Don't remember posting that! I posted in the "Cairn Hill" thread I was getting borderline reception from C.H. on channel 47 in the Westport area.

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Don't remember posting that! I posted in the "Cairn Hill" thread I was getting borderline reception from C.H. on channel 47 in the Westport area.

In fairness to slegs, He probably got a bit excited with the potential of new customers from the Mayo area. It was Snaps that reported the DTT RECEPTION in mayo yesterday morning:

" DTT now available in mayo!!!
    Done a scan on my TM6900 with UHF grid aerial pointing north from south east mayo (Towards castlebar/sligo).
    Getting very strong DTT signals on ch48 (RTE 1,2,TV3,TG4 broadcasting), CH53 (RTE 1,2,TV3,TG4 broadcasting) & CH57 (No channels broadcasting).

Would say 53 & 57 are Truskmore (95% signal), Not sure where 48 is comming from (Which is 100% signal) could be Castlebar?"

No problem. It's actually encouraging to see posters in Mayo giving good initial reception reports from both Truskmore and Maghera. No chance of Maghera reception from where the Da's house is though.

Croagh Patrick and other mountains to the south will block it out completely. Will bring the trial box home again to try for Truskmore. Getting poor analogue reception from there on 60 and 63 (similar to Cairn Hill).

EDIT: Alot of Mayo (especially the east), quite early on may get good reception from Maghera and Truskmore going by this projected coverage map. The block in the middle of the county is probably caused by Benbulben and other mountains southwest of Truskmore. Castlebar coming on stream (sometime in 2010?) should fill in this gap. However the west of the county, will have to wait longer it seems to get coverage.

Link: http://www.bci.ie/DTT/boxer/licencea_section7_print.pdf

No problem. It's actually encouraging to see posters in Mayo giving good initial reception reports from both Truskmore and Maghera. No chance of Maghera reception from where the Da's house is though.

Croagh Patrick and other mountains to the south will block it out completely. Will bring the trial box home again to try for Truskmore. Getting poor analogue reception from there on 60 and 63 (similar to Cairn Hill).

EDIT: Alot of Mayo (especially the east), quite early on may get good reception from Maghera and Truskmore going by this projected coverage map. The block in the middle of the county is probably caused by Benbulben and other mountains southwest of Truskmore. Castlebar coming on stream (sometime in 2010?) should fill in this gap. However the west of the county, will have to wait longer it seems to get coverage.

Link: http://www.bci.ie/DTT/boxer/licencea_section7_print.pdf

You may be surprised, I dont get any analouge pictures (Very fuzzy) but the DTT transponders are coming in very strong. I have noticed that my UHF analouge channels from the deflector and RTE transmitter at castlebar have gone a lttle fuzzy but that may be cause i have my TM6900 now looped through my aerial feed.

This has been great news for me as ive been waiting for the Irish channels to come on air in digital as ive not been watching them due to getting rid of sky and having not great analouge pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭installer

Are the services stable enough to recommend to people or do they drop out? if so any idea of the amout of downtime can be expected?

• Advertisement

There's no way of knowing - Kippure was on for a few days,then swithched off.

You could have it today,gone tomorrow.(As it still is only a test phase)

There's no cheap and simple Set top box available yet either and the(integrated iDTV) TV's suitable for Irish DTT have to be selected with great care..down to the exact letter of the model number.

thanks..... Dont suppose there is a list of models that will work here? or what to look for in the model number to tell whether it will work or not?

installer wrote: »
    thanks..... Dont suppose there is a list of models that will work here? or what to look for in the model number to tell whether it will work or not?

See sticky thread at top of this page.

Sorry If I misquoted you :)

givecredit wrote: »
    See sticky thread at top of this page.

Thanks for that!!! top notch.....

was at my parents house today, they have a samsung 42" plasma with built in dtt tuner they brought it from uk last year, I did a scan and it found 8 services on ch48 but when i tried to view them it would only give sound, is that just todays transmission or would it suggest its not compatable.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

... There's no cheap and simple Set top box available yet either and the(integrated iDTV) TV's suitable for Irish DTT have to be selected with great care..down to the exact letter of the model number.
    Noticed this. Found links in older threads. "Basic" box seems to cost around €100. Not keen on the combo boxes at all.

installer wrote: »
    Thanks for that!!! top notch.....

was at my parents house today, they have a samsung 42" plasma with built in dtt tuner they brought it from uk last year, I did a scan and it found 8 services on ch48 but when i tried to view them it would only give sound, is that just todays transmission or would it suggest its not compatable.?

See this thread at top of page:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055384875

Your tv maybe compatable with this cam which can be bought for abount 50euro.

Your parents TV uses mpeg2 technology. Irish DTT uses Mpeg4. The Cam overcomes this problem for some tvs. Get your parents tv model no and check the thread i've provided link for to see is tv on the list.

Originally posted by slegs: Sorry If I misquoted you :)

Cheers. No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

I wonder if DTT on ch 48 from Maghera is causing any problems with DTT from Cairn Hill ch 47 as these are adjacent channels. If they were analogue broadcasts they certainly would clash.

• Advertisement

My RTE 2 analouge picture has gone terrible since monday. Its coming from castlebar on either channel 31 or 33. It was so bad last night the football was unwatchable. I ended up watching it on a 422 feed on 1west FTA.

Advertisement