Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iarnrod Eireann plans DART extension to Inchicore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

As far as I can tell, the original plan was for the interconnector to end at Heuston. Now, the DART on the Kildare line is dependant on that quad-track project, which of course doesn't cover the most important section just in front of Heuston Station (which really makes the whole four track thing a lot less useful).

So no doubt Iarnród Éireann were intending all along to have the Interconnector strung out a bit more to Inchicore in order to "solve" this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Nah, they've been announcing it every few months for years now, They do indeed plan to build it, and there's geotechnical core samples being drilled in the Stephen's Green area at the moment, but lord knows if it's ever going to get built.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

It'll be far from a white elephant if/ when it gets built.
    If you read up on it, its the central plank of a bigger plan to have the Dart running to Kildare and Maynooth/ Dunboyne with a central tunnel running parallel to the liffey under stephens green and Heuston station.

If anyone doubts the value of it, just look to where its been done abroad like say Munich, which is also a city of 1.5 million. There the suburban services used to end at either end of the city just like in Dublin with Connolly and Heuston. Suburban routes since '72 are routed down a central tunnel and far from being a white elephant the service now is so convienient that the passenger numbers have got so large that a second tunnel is about to be built to increase cross town capacity. Just like roads, if you build it, the people will come!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

To be honest I mis read the newspiece and thought they were talking about using the phoenix park tunnel, D'oh stupid me:rolleyes:, thats teh only reason i referred to it as a white elephant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I heard this morning that they want to extend to Inchicore partly because they can tunnel from their own land at Inchicore, and reduce the amount of disruption at Hueston.
    It's actually surprisingly sensible thinking.....makes a change...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

dan_d wrote: »
    I heard this morning that they want to extend to Inchicore partly because they can tunnel from their own land at Inchicore, and reduce the amount of disruption at Hueston.
    It's actually surprisingly sensible thinking.....makes a change...

That is the primary reason - the disruption would have been huge. Also, it avoids working on "the gullet" from Islandbridge to Inchicore to make it 4-track.

It is a very sensible decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

are there plans/maps floating around on the interweb for the "new" section to inchicore
    one of the broadsheets today said it leaves the possibility of a station in inchicore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

dmeehan wrote: »
    are there plans/maps floating around on the interweb for the "new" section to inchicore
    one of the broadsheets today said it leaves the possibility of a station in inchicore
    The broadsheet is the Irish Times: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0406/1224244068221.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

wellboss wrote: »

Anything but.

Can you give me an example of a previously constructed public transport "white elephant" in the greater Dublin region?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

The new Dart Underground is a critical piece of urban, regional and national infrastructure. It will make an enormous difference to thousands of people every day once it is in place.

so does that mean its defo going ahead then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

dannym08 wrote: »
    so does that mean its defo going ahead then?

Not necessarily, it may mean there is the will, but that will make no odds if we simply can't get money (that includes finding people to take on PPP).

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

Anything but.

Can you give me an example of a previously constructed public transport "white elephant" in the greater Dublin region?

as I posted above

"To be honest I mis read the newspiece and thought they were talking about using the phoenix park tunnel, D'oh stupid merolleyes.gif, that's the only reason i referred to it as a white elephant "

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Anything but.

The bus gate at Blanch
    Dockland's station

Phoenix park train station
    PierC at dublin airport

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Just released by IE

Map of stations and schematic of GDA transport

http://www.irishrail.ie/projects/pdf/0904%20DART%20Underground%20route%20maps.pdf

wellboss wrote: »
    as I posted above

"To be honest I mis read the newspiece and thought they were talking about using the phoenix park tunnel, D'oh stupid merolleyes.gif, that's the only reason i referred to it as a white elephant "

No worries mate, as I was wondering why you said "another" white elepahnt considering that Dublin has half less than nothing of the public rail transport infrastructure it should have.

You should not be so dismissive of the PPT route - that line passes through heavily populated areas of the Cabra and Phisborough and should be brought into service for commuters. It also has the potential to be an fantastic rail hub if a transfer station was constructed at Glasnevin Junction to integrate the Maynooth and Kildare lines.

The Interconnector is the most important piece of rail infrastruture to be ever proposed for this country and will be the most benifical single piece of public capital spending in the history of the state. Nothing about it is negative in anyways and it is already about 30 years overdue. But the PPT route should be brought into the network as well.

There is so much cak spoken about "White Elepahnts" from educated halfwits such as Dr Sean Barett and Frank Dawson that it tends to send a message out there that building nothing in Dublin except the odd bus lane is automatically deemed a "white elephant". We must always be careful of the language we used in relation to this stuff because our politicians are all either morons and gangsters who will do anything they can to avoid making Dublin a funcitonal city.

Interesting, I just hear that the Saint James Gate station might be dropped which is probably a good idea considering that the property market is dead and will save them a fortune. The extention to Inchicore makes a lot of sense now for construction reasons.

I am actually getting positive about this again, considering it was all but dead and buried a month back.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

The optimist in me sees this as some sort of indication that the Interconnector really might go ahead, possibly within the next 2-5 years.

The pessimist in me sees the local elections looming and a covert phonecall from a ministerial aide requesting some new pretty pictures and plans to be drafted up to bolster public opinion.

The eternal battle continues.

noelfirl wrote: »
    The optimist in me sees this as some sort of indication that the Interconnector really might go ahead, possibly within the next 2-5 years.

The pessimist in me sees the local elections looming and a covert phonecall from a ministerial aide requesting some new pretty pictures and plans to be drafted up to bolster public opinion.

The eternal battle continues.

Indeed, what was it James Joyce said. "Irish society is a nightmare from which I am still trying to wake up" or something similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

KC61 wrote: »
    That is the primary reason - the disruption would have been huge. Also, it avoids working on "the gullet" from Islandbridge to Inchicore to make it 4-track.

It is a very sensible decision.

So the tunnel is extended to Inchicore and the quad track starts from there and continues to Hazelhatch .

Very sensible. It was high time they addressed the missing 4 track link from Heuston to Ballyfermot .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Interesting, I just hear that the Saint James Gate station might be dropped which is probably a good idea considering that the property market is dead and will save them a fortune. The extention to Inchicore makes a lot of sense now for construction reasons.

I am actually getting positive about this again, considering it was all but dead and buried a month back.

I'd imagine some form of station will still be built at Heuston, but that the turnback facility for trains coming from the Northern line (i.e. an extra platform) would be at Inchicore, meaning that the Heuston Underground Station will be an awful lot smaller than originally planned.

The fact that it is continuing west means that they can probably build it without affecting St. James' Gate site as originally planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

That PDF says 'Pearse Street Railway Station'
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it 'Pearse Station', with no reference to the street, since it's named after the brothers?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cormy

darkman2 wrote: »
    Just released by IE

http://www.irishrail.ie/projects/pdf/0904%20DART%20Underground%20route%20maps.pdf

I note on page 2 (although it's obviously not on the underground line), a 'Pelletstown' station between Ashtown and Broombridge on this map. I've seen this phantom/proposed station elsewhere on an IE project map (and if I recall correctly it featured (i.e. appeared on a big map), on the Dublin City development plan). Does anyone know more about it however (or any other new stations) in the planning for IE??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

KC61 wrote: »
    I'd imagine some form of station will still be built at Heuston, but that the turnback facility for trains coming from the Northern line (i.e. an extra platform) would be at Inchicore, meaning that the Heuston Underground Station will be an awful lot smaller than originally planned.

The fact that it is continuing west means that they can probably build it without affecting St. James' Gate site as originally planned.
    I thought Diageo were more than happy to have a station under their property and it was to be built using cut and cover. Now they are going on out to Inchicore, they might mine a station directly under Heuston. There MUST be a station under Heuston IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Two things to say.

1. Are IE so bereft of commonsense that they have the cheek to claim this is a "new development" when it should have been designed that way in the first place. I can assure you that there is a group of ordinary joes behind this change. Guaranteed.

2. The fact that its in the news is just the usual dose of political spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ste.phen wrote: »
    That PDF says 'Pearse Street Railway Station'
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it 'Pearse Station', with no reference to the street, since it's named after the brothers?

You're correct, its Pearse Station on Westland Row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Pisser Dignam

There'd better be quad tracking between Inchicore and Cherry Orchard (end of Kildare Rail Project).

Still a km or so in between that's not accounted for.

Maybe next year we'll get THAT announcement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There'd better be quad tracking between Inchicore and Cherry Orchard (end of Kildare Rail Project).

It would be idiotic not to at this stage . Bar the Kylemore rd bridge replacement it is trivial.
    Still a km or so in between that's not accounted for.

Maybe next year we'll get THAT announcement.

Its a big improvement over 3.5-4km though the gullet though and if they do that bit first they can even train out the spoil from the tunnelling instead of trucking it out and train in the precasts .

darkman2 wrote: »
    Just released by IE

Notice how no black line to Navan...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

the property market is dead and will save them a fortune
    :confused:

Seeing as how you've brought it up, I hear the apartments at the chocolate factory didn't sell well, will the tunnel now ironically be bore under those apartments?
    http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?p=88345

Now if only I could think of a punchline:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭gjim

It's a fairly significant change in terms of the amount of tunneling. An extra 2.5km?

Advertisement