Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some advice

• 05-04-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

Right just looking for a bit of advice here. I just graduated in October, working as a trainee accountant. Great to have a job & all but I don't enjoy it & it's not a career path I want to take.

I took up an evening diploma in journalism since I always loved doing it during my free time in secondary school & university. It's going v.well not trying to boast or anything but the lecturer who is a well known journalist says I've a natural talent & could go far.

Had my first piece published on the web this week & was thinking about leaving my job in Sept to go into a full time journalism masters, if I was accepted obviously. This is mainly because they offer a great chance to get your foot in the door with the end of year work placement. But I'd be leaving my job & I'd have to convince my parents too.

Some of my friends think its a good idea others don't. Worth the risk in this climate?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Journalism is generally a tough industry to break into and it's even harder at the moment.

I wouldn't advise anyone not to try out journalism but I would advise caution.

You can only say if you're willing to take the chance, if you can afford to and if you have a plan B (or I suppose plan C) if it doesn't work out for you.

Have you spoken to your lecturer(s) about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

Think of not doing what you want to do for the rest of your life. That would kill you, I bet.
    Follow whatever dream you have. I did and it worked out for me.
    I couldn't imagine doing anything else - even on the most horrendoulsy stressful days.
    Just go for it. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

If I were you I would try to build up a portfolio of work before you jump ship. I got into a journalism job recently but it is VERY hard to get anything at the moment, so I would certainly consider freelancing until you have a bit of work built up.

Now more than ever there are a huge amount of talented journalists without a job and for every job available the competition will be huge. I wish you the best of luck just be careful you don't end up without a job and with very little job opportunities to chase.

Do follow your dreams just give yourself the best chance possible by getting some experience behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Well I did notice over the weekend that Independent Colleges offer a part time 2 year Journalism Masters so I could continue in my job & do this. Would something like this be a better idea?

Thanks for the feedback by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

If its what you really want to do then I would say go for it.. Having recently completed an MA in International Journalism, I am certainly happy to have done it.. Its not the best time to be coming out of college with any degree/MA but if its something you are passionate about you can make a success of it.. No point doing a job you hate just for the money. If you believe you have the skills and more importantly the passion for it then give it a go.. Best of luck either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

What journalism course did you do part-time out of curiosity? My advice would be go for it if you want, but in the interim get as many things published in as many places as possible. Things are really tough out there at the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 petally

I was looking into that Master's in Independent Colleges too. Has anyone heard any feed back from it at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭kpbdublin

I would write freelance articles first. You will get a good idea then of your potential, and the pitfalls of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MCMT

petally wrote: »
    I was looking into that Master's in Independent Colleges too. Has anyone heard any feed back from it at all?

I've looked into it but there appears to be a dearth of 'independent' (sorry) opinion on either the college or the course. Judging by the "feedback" the college itself provides, everything is wonderful. Facilities, staff, classes etc all top notch.

The good thing about this MA is that the deadline for submissions is August 31st - so if you want to start this October you still have plenty of time to do so. (There is also no interview, but you must submit three 500 word articles as part of documentation). You can also complete the degree full time either by day or evening (about 12 hours per week); or part time over two years. You also have the opportunity to take part in a four week internship with Independent News and Media (giving it an advantage over DIT, which doesn't offer an internship). The class listings look pretty comprehensive, if limited, and the college seems to place an emphasis on practical learning.

The downside is that as Independent Colleges is a private institution, this course is not eligible for any Government grants whatsoever. So only the wealthy need apply.

This is about all the information I've found so far. I'd love to find some subjective opinions on the place and the course - anyone out there? Personally I'd be interested in this MA if I wasn't tied by apron strings to Government funding.

Advertisement