Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish Broadcaster (if they appeared!)

Options
  • 03-04-2009 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

So I open this thread to stop the deviations from other treads and eventually have them closed.

What would you like to see from future and current TV broadcast providers? What should they do what should they provide?

On a realistic note I would like to see more or an effort for RTÉ TWO (and to an extent RTÉ ONE) and TV3 (and if they are serious about 3e a new logo and some Irish programming).

From a new broadcaster I would like to see, some Irish Drama and Comedy (with small amount of news form one of the other broadcaster i.e. RTÉ, INN and TV3, but nothing major RTÉ and TV3 are providing sufficent News coverage).

If they really want extra channels then I suggest the following divisions.

RTE 1, 2, 3 (1+2 Late night schedule no extra money provided to them) RTE INTERNATIONAL (with advertising mainly RTE NEWS).

TV3 (with extra programming bar news), 3E and 3TODAY

TG4 should be giving OTV and IFB Channel if they appear no reason to split them up into 2 new PSB espically in the current economic climate.

And finally a new group of Broadcasters.

But I did say this before on many occassions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tretle

I agree that Irish fictional comedy series need a lot of love. Though I don't see RTE doing much. I think some competition from a new group to pressure RTE and TV3 would be a good thing.
    None of the national broadcasters seem to take advantage of the net either. I think current.com are probably the best with taking advantage in this regard.

The BBC also do a good job but I think thats mainly due to its great R&D department. Although the BBC are great in terms of technology they still have their shortcomings.
    I thought that their dvb-t2 implementation would use dirac instead of mpeg for example which would have been great using an open standard and would have reduced costs but they chose mpeg4 in the end.

I dont think there will be much chances for a new group to offer tv over fta in ireland to be honest.
    From what I understand anyway BAI/BCI and comreg seem to be selling the specrums in large quantities rather than a channel per channel basis. This will make it near impossible for anyone new to try and make it in this industry, at least for semi neich markets(a channel focused at 16-30 something year olds). Due to the lack of space on the fta service I think we will get much of the same, dispersed and more widespread programming. Which is a pity because one of the things I always assumed dtt would bring is more choice and quality in terms of television in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It would be nice to see broadcasters stop focusing on that market you suggested. Most TV is aimed that that lucrative disposable income group, and often if fails miserably. It fails as the broadcaster and producers try to hip and down with it/cool and down with young people.

Skins (and perhaps Seacht from an Irish perspective) work because they can be watched by everyone and a little more realistic then lets say Home and Away or Hollyoaks. As for broadcasters BBC Three and 3e have fail this market. BBC Three for treating them (us) like fools and 3e for think we will watch anything they throw at them (us). E4 seem to be doing a better job with out looking as though they are desperate.

I think if you have a drama or comedy that is unfocused on market it tends to provide everyone (not just the focused niche market) with something worth watching.

Graham Linehan , Chris O'Dowd, Dylan Moran... What do all of these guys have in common. They are Irish, funny, successful and none of them work for RTE. In fact when asked why he left Ireland, Dylan simply stated that no one was hiring.
    I have said before on the forums that RTE focus too much on factual content and don't really live up in other genres and I don't think I explained it properly.
    Its not that we don't have an abundance of young talent out there. Its just that its too difficult to make it in Ireland compared to Britain with regards to creating fictional content. In Britain its seldom rare an actor would rise to fame in the movie industry without first providing a portfolio of interesting television for any one of the abundance of british channels, and this is a good thing as it improves the quality of all sides from acting, directing and writing.
    Although the same cannot be said for Ireland.
    This is a problem which I hope to see resolved if a new channel were to rise from nowhere. Imagine having Grahem Linehan, Chris O'Dowed, and Dylan Moran on board to reform Irish media.
    To give hope to media students across the country that they don't have to suppress their passion or alter their style to get coverage, that they will no longer have to choose between what they want to do and what country they need to live in.
    Who knows, with the advent of iptv there might be a possibility of a new broadcaster to achieve this, first proving their worth on the web and then migrating to dtt.
    Now that I think of it Colin Murphy would make a nice addition to the group, a great presenter and entertainer but while watching the blizzard of odd I always thought his charisma would fit well in a sitcom.
    Anyways, Those 4 people would be essential, if we are talking about home brew content that is. They would also be essential in trying to expand with regards to writing staff, acting staff etc, who better to be able to spot new Irish talent?

I amn't defending RTÉ when I say this but: -

Chis O'Dowd left "The Clinic" for "The IT Crowd", it just made sense that he should travel to England for the role on a Graham Linehan vehicle, really who wouldn't but O'Dowd could have remained on "The Clinic" his character didn't leave naturally and wasn't written out by the writers rather he took a chance on a Channel 4 Comedy.

As for Graham Linehan he started out on "Nighthawks" as did so many other comedian and comic writers, perhaps RTÉ need a new "Nighthawks", Graham possible felt suffocated and also it wasn't his show he possible was only involved every few weeks hence his decision to move to England. I amn't sure about Dylan Morgan but I have a funny felling he did stand up on "Nighthawks" before moving to England possible for the same reasons suggested above.

But again you have mentioned RTÉ should media students, comedians, script writters and other creative people forget TV3? Or should all the blame be masterfully placed on RTÉ's doorstep.

I do agree with everything you say, I am just pointing out other facts.

Colin Murphy can't really complain about RTÉ over the last 10 years he has had several vehicles given to him by RTÉ Blizzard of Odd, X-it poll/file and The Panel.

Well, I'm not really attacking RTE. RTE do a way better job than TV3, the main reason why I didn't mention TV3 there was due to the fact that TV3 weren't around back when Grahem and Dylan were starting their careers. Even if TV3 were around I think we would have the same issue.
    Maybe the issue is not RTE but the lack of third party broadcaster pushing Irish media.
    This is just what I would like a new broadcaster to focus on so that the future Dylan's and Grahem's can create great television in Ireland rather than leaving our country to pursue their careers.
    Again, I don't want to give the impression that RTE are doing a bad job, they have invested quite a lot of money into alot of things including the hardware side with RTENL.
    Also because they have government backing its most likely considerably harder to take risks. I mentioned Collin at the end because I was a fan of the blizzard and I do agree RTE have treated him well.
    Its a pity that show needed to end because it had such a cult following but I think its a good example of the kind of position RTE are in due to government backing.
    The show lived up to its name and maybe this was just too odd to have on government financed television.
    I just hope that the boxer deal falls through, There is just not enough space on dtt reserved for third party broadcasters to offer fta tv over unencrypted airwaves. I wouldnt mind if it was 2 mux's for fta and 2 for boxer but 3 to boxer and 2 to fta is in my opinion bad.
    I think that the TV3 group and RTE are in a better position to get the remaining space because there wouldnt be enough time for a new group to get set up yet, especially with the economy the way it is at the moment.
    We really do need new blood though.

• Advertisement

The BCI/BAI would really have to work to regulate The TV3 Group they so far have done as much as possible to allowed TV3 to be free to show what they like without any real regulation. (E.g. Expose and 6:30 News).

I remember reading that Colin Murphy felt that the show had come to its end and that You Tube was doing much of what he had done on his series. I don't think he was right when you see ITV and BBC producing similar programming today. I ran for about 5 years, but I really enjoyed also.

Advertisement