Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie Camera

Options
  • 02-04-2009 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭

hey guys,

Whats a good rookie / newbie SLR camera.

I'm over the whole slim digital camera stage and wanna get something that will take amazing photos.
    Looking for something cheap like from pixmania or something.
    Don't wanna buy anything too fancy as i'm not setting up a business or anything

All help appreciated

Cheers
    Tallon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

Well amazing photos its up to you not the camera, if you browse a bit you will find tons of posts asking similar questions, if you want something small check out the panasonic G1...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Duchovny wrote: »
    Well amazing photos its up to you not the camera

Haha, true, I think i'll be good with this one
    if you browse a bit you will find tons of posts asking similar questions

I did browse, everyones looking for different things than I want
    if you want something small check out the panasonic G1

I don't mind about size, I just want something cheap, those G1's are €800+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

Check sony 200k or something like that someone was saying its a quite cheap and nice camera.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Have a look at some of the Bridge Cameras as they offer very good features for the price. Fuji make some brilliant ones, some come up on Adverts.ie too.

What is your budget?

No real budget, maybe 3/400
    I had a look on adverts already, some nice ones on there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

You should be able to get a good, second hand Nikon D80 for that kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The Nikon D40 is really good. Its very basic but will get you taking good photos very easily and get you in the whole photography thing.

Towards Canon there's the EOS 1000D and 450D. 450D is the better one but slightly more expensive too. 1000D is pretty basic, but has more features than the Nikon 40D, though more expensive as well!

And then you can always look for used cameras!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

bridge cameras are quite good. while they are limited because they have a single fixed lens, they often offer 10x > optical zoom and full manual control on settings. I'm using a Kodak Easyshare z710 and its doing the trick for me. cost under €200 I think too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Surely there's no discussion needed - just get the Nikon D40 kit - perfect for a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Nikon D70 + 18-70 AFS lens over on Adverts:

http://adverts.ie/105470

6.1 mega pixel, decent control, good size (not too fiddly), get you started on the DSLR ladder (beware - it's addictive!).

Think the asking is a bit steep, seeing as the D70 came out in 2004. If you got it for €250ish that wouldn't be too bad. Plus the D70 will allow you to use AF on all the older lenses in the Nikon range, unlike the D40, D40x & D60.

If you don't go for this particular D70, keep an eye out on adverts for a Nikon D70, D70s or D80. If you'd prefer a camera with a physically smaller size, look out for a Nikon D40, D40x or D60, good cameras when used with an AFS lens.

That's the Nikon suggestions out of the way - I'm sure someone from the Canon club can recommend a few?

• Advertisement

hey guys, thank for all the advice.

As I said I'm looking for something really basic to get me started, doesn't need interchangeable lenses or anything....

on that note, my girlfriend surprised me today buy buying me this lovely little fella.....

Linky

camera-front-angled.jpg

thanks again for all the advice, and hopefully i'll get the bug and want a better one real soon :)

Tallon

Advertisement