Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Triple H Appreciation thread

Options
  • 31-03-2009 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

How about a change in direction then?

Any Triple H matches, that people remember particularly fondly? Seeing as people are voting as liking him- why?

I really enjoyed his Iron Man match with The Rock at Judgement Day 2000- the story they told throughout that was absolutely fantastic, and it gets sadly overlooked because of the finish. There was so much attention to detail in even the early stages of the bout.
    I also think his Chain Match with Kane the following year (at the same event), was very underrated. It's rare that anyone can pull off that gimmick, being as it's such a restrictive stip.. but i thought this was a decent effort.. especially with Kane, of all people..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

You've given me an awesome idea m'man.
    Welcome to the HHH appreciation thread. Do not bash in this thread, you have your own one for that.

Failure to comply will result in holiday times! :D
    I can't believe HHH has subsequently divided the damn forum. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

He had a best of three falls match with The Rock for the IC belt which I remember really enjoying at the time. Not seen it since so I have no idea how it holds up.

Here's the first part of it:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

^^^
    That was a pretty good match in my opinion, although it didn't really kick into top gear at any point.

LOL.
    I can't believe I'm going to held responsible/blamed/credited for this thread. I wrote an article last month that put a positive spin on HHH, that got bashed... and now...this is how rumours start.

Bubs made a good point in the other thread though about how Hunter was instrumental in the devolpment of Batista/Orton, and to a lesser extent, Cena. That's the three biggest stars they've created since Lesnar, with Hunter playing a crucial role.

It's not so much that you're held responsible for creating it, but yours was the first one that was split. Personally i'm sick of every RAW and PPV thread being wrecked by HHH bashing. So it's easier this way.

Bunch of haters over there, look at the damn poll!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Here's my take on HHH, there was a time where I genuinely thought he was the next megastar in wrestling, as in Hogan big, around 99/00 where you can see his change in character, style, attitude, and most importantly you could take him seriously and not as just HBKs sidekick.
    He seems like a very genuine guy in any interviews, and has undeniable passion for what he does, even the most feverish hater cant deny that, he's put over people in his career, Foley, Austin, Angle,Hardy (eventually) but he has basically married his way into the main event, no doubt he would have been there anyway as he was a great worker in the late 90s but would he have as many title reigns as he has? doubtful, he wants Flairs record but he's not earning it the way Flair did (and yes i know Flair booked himself into the main event as well)

He shouldnt be a part of the creative team, input yes, creative control maybe, but as big an influence as he has on the booking of the shows no active wrestler should have , he has buried and put over people in equal measure imo, remember he hasnt won at Wrestlemania in 6 years, and tapped out twice, clean, in the middle of the ring with no interference in two of those matches , so the haters cant keep complaining he buries people constantly.

So HHH, are we better off with him in the main event? maybe, hes a credible main eventer, has a massive fan base, is one of the longest serving members of the current roster and has a lot to offer the younger stars of tomorrow, if only he'd realise this himself instead of clutching to that precious top spot he needs...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MommySaysNo

I would have to agree with the above. As much as a fan of the "King of Kings" as i am, They need to find a new angle with him. He's gonna beat down everyone eventually including orton at wm25. what then???????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I wonder if anyone's ever stopped and thought that maybe Vince is just a massive HHH mark and that there's not much that HHH can do to dissuade him from pushing him

People talk as if HHH can do whatever he wants. But in every other situation Vince is his own man. So is HHH the one guy who can push Vince around? Or does Vince see him as the ideal superstar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Fozzy wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone's ever stopped and thought that maybe Vince is just a massive HHH mark and that there's not much that HHH can do to dissuade him from pushing him

People talk as if HHH can do whatever he wants. But in every other situation Vince is his own man. So is HHH the one guy who can push Vince around? Or does Vince see him as the ideal superstar?

And following on from that, I can't really undertand why HHH being booked strong is such a big surprise to anyone. Guys at the top of companys politically all over the world have booked themselves or been booked strongly since wrestling began. Many would argue that the dearth of heavyweight Main Eventers in NOAH at the moment is directly attriutable to the fact that Misawa (who had the book) never gave the proper, clean, decisive rub to younger guys like Akiyama in 1996/7 in the same way that Jumbo Tsuruta did for him in 1990/1.Veteran bookers like Santo and Blue Panther in Mexico similarly have hogged the main event well past their sell-by date in the belief, mistaken or otherwise that they're the biggest drawing stars in the promotion. CIMA in Dragon gate is also the booker and now the complaints about him holding people down in his promotion are starting to surface. Even Flair was on many a booking committee that booked himself as champion because he believed that he was the best man for the job.

Its just life! In all jobs and professions there are politics and guys who want to stay on top at all costs. How the internet hasn't copped onto this fact by now and why it continues to cry such big tears of anguish with monotonous regularity is completely beyond me. Some day maybe they'll accept it, but i seriously doubt it. After all if they didn't have HHH to complain about they wouldn't have a reason to log on in the mornings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Taker lost to Kozlov recently, HBK loses all the time as does Cena. Edge won't win unless he cheats, Hardy never beats anybody convincingly, Randy has lost a truck load in the past and nearly lost to Shane of all people, Kane means nothing now, Umaga and Matt never meant anything, CM Punk is gone and Christian's return was ruined.

Two things of the above statement are why Hunter is so good. First of all, everyone accuses him of burying his competition and only promoting himself. There is absolutely no way that Vince would let Hunter do that in the first place but more importantly, Hunter wouldn't have the time to bury everybody, let alone HBK and Taker (for different reasons). The guy works out in all of his spare time so I've never understood why marks thinks he spends all his time on the booking comittee. As to whether he deserves it, probably not but neither do Shane, Steph or Marissa (Shane's wife), they all work for the WWE as well. Hunter isn't being given special treatment, he's being treated normally and obviously it would make sense to have him involved in the booking aspect, even if it is just to sit in or book himself as that's what he's familiar with.

Secondly, if he is booking his own angles the WWE is in great shape in the future. Hunter has one thing that all of the guys above don't and that is that a win over Hunter actually means something. You want to make someone a main eventer, you have them pin HHH clean. He's the only one who can do it instantly. For example, compare when Morrison pinned HBK to when Shelton pinned HHH. The buzz was completely different because Hunter just doesn't get pinned so everybody knew they had plans for this guy. The WWE needs one of these guys, more than one. A guy for who wins still matter. He plays an invaluable role in the company

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I can't believe HHH has subsequently divided the damn forum. lol

HHH is this years K**e. :pac:

personally speaking, i like HHH.

The bashing he gets is funny because the truth is if any of us was in the same position we would jump at it.
    Of course... Steph mcmahon would help too. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

flahavaj wrote: »
    And following on from that, I can't really undertand why HHH being booked strong is such a big surprise to anyone. Guys at the top of companys politically all over the world have booked themselves or been booked strongly since wrestling began.
    Its just life! In all jobs and professions there are politics and guys who want to stay on top at all costs. How the internet hasn't copped onto this fact by now and why it continues to cry such big tears of anguish with monotonous regularity is completely beyond me. Some day maybe they'll accept it, but i seriously doubt it. After all if they didn't have HHH to complain about they wouldn't have a reason to log on in the mornings!

Even Vince made himself champ!

As i said in the 'Other' thread, the young guys will always moan about the older guys keeping what they see as 'their' spots. Flipping hell Orton was given the championship at 24, based on association with HHH and only had the association because he had a wrestling dad. He is the last one that should be giving out about being held back. Other guys such as Umanga expect to be champ a couple of years into his new persona. Sorry pal but unless you start selling merch like Cena did your not going to get that spot without earning it over time.

I was watching Trips DVD and his loss to batista is on it. That seems realtively humble, (I really did say humble and HHH in the same sentence). I still say he's no god but hes no devil either.

Enjoyed the two out of three falls with HBK.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Enjoyed the two out of three falls with HBK.

The only match that he had with HBK that i didn't particularly enjoy was the last man standing match they had at the 2004 Royal Rumble. Went on way too long and with an utter bullsh*t finish. So disappointing.

The only match that he had with HBK that i didn't particularly enjoy was the last man standing match they had at the 2004 Royal Rumble. Went on way too long and with an utter bullsh*t finish. So disappointing.

When i think of these two i can't help but think of the european title match under sarges instructions.

When i think of these two i can't help but think of the european title match under sarges instructions.

That was hilarious on so many levels on screen. Off screen the story wasn't so funny, as the point of it was to shovel the last piece of dirt over the grave of Davey Boy's third stint with the promotion, when Vince had released him, but not without a hefty price tag. They had him drop the belt to Shawn in his home country, and then the belt was pretty much demoted to a piece of crap.

But anything that took the piss out of the trainwreck that WCW was becoming was alright in my books. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

My favourite thing about HHH...is definitely the mcmahon helmsley era.

TOP class heel. He really was fantastic.. His work with the rock and i think Austin in that era was part of the reason i loved wrestling so much.

That was hilarious on so many levels on screen. Off screen the story wasn't so funny, as the point of it was to shovel the last piece of dirt over the grave of Davey Boy's third stint with the promotion, when Vince had released him, but not without a hefty price tag. They had him drop the belt to Shawn in his home country, and then the belt was pretty much demoted to a piece of crap.

But anything that took the piss out of the trainwreck that WCW was becoming was alright in my books. :)

How do you know/remember all these things? Do you keep a log book, i know a guy that keeps a log of every horse race going so he can try and win money, pity you can't bet on wrestling. Fairdues to you.

How do you know/remember all these things? Do you keep a log book, i know a guy that keeps a log of every horse race going so he can try and win money, pity you can't bet on wrestling. Fairdues to you.

Nah, i'm just f*cking old and read a lot of books/articles over that time. :)

My favourite thing about HHH...is definitely the mcmahon helmsley era.

TOP class heel. He really was fantastic.. His work with the rock and i think Austin in that era was part of the reason i loved wrestling so much.

Can't argue here, he'd really started making progress as a heel in the summer of 99 when they started giving him a run with the strap the first time.

Not bad for a guy who was screwing a man-beast instead of screwing the bosses daughter at the time. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

, pity you can't bet on wrestling

Used to be able to

• Registered Users Posts: 36,103 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

His Rumble match with Foley was a beaut I thought. For me, he was at the absolute top of his game at this point.

I think the point about a win against him meaning something is an excellent one. I won't elaborate too much further because I'd probably only be repeating much of what Bubs said. If (as I personally expect) Orton goes over him at WM, it'll launch him into the stratosphere potentially. Only 'Taker at Wrestlemania could have had a similar effect.

And we all know what happened when that could, and should imo, have taken place....

• Advertisement

Can't argue here, he'd really started making progress as a heel in the summer of 99 when they started giving him a run with the strap the first time.

Not bad for a guy who was screwing a man-beast instead of screwing the bosses daughter at the time. ;)

Haha yeah, I guess he had to think of other things when he was doin the deed with Chyna.

Ahhh..A golden time.

His old music was class as well. "My time is now" wasnt it?

Bubs101 wrote: »
    . He's the only one who can do it instantly. For example, compare when Morrison pinned HBK to when Shelton pinned HHH. The buzz was completely different because Hunter just doesn't get pinned so everybody knew they had plans for this guy. The WWE needs one of these guys, more than one. A guy for who wins still matter. He plays an invaluable role in the company

Good points. I can't remember morrison pinning HBK. Certainly remember shelton pinning HHH, maybe this proves the point.

Haha yeah, I guess he had to think of other things when he was doin the deed with Chyna.

Ahhh..A golden time.

His old music was class as well. "My time is now" wasnt it?

"My Time", by Chris Warren & The DX Band was his theme tune from that period.

On the subject, courtesy of wikipedia, is a list of all his theme tunes to date.

* "Road Master" (Used in WCW)
    * "Blue Blood" by Jim Johnston
    * "Symphony No. 9 (Fourth movement)" by Ludwig van Beethoven
    * "Break It Down" by The DX Band (Theme for D-Generation X)
    * "The Kings" by Run-D.M.C. (Remixed theme for D-Generation X)
    * "My Time" by The DX Band
    * "The Game" by Drowning Pool
    * "The Game" by Motörhead (Matches)
    * "Line in the Sand" by Motörhead (Theme for Evolution)
    * "King of Kings" by Motörhead (Promos)
    * "The Game" by Motörhead with "King of Kings" intro

hmm i didnt know drowning pool did the game song first. It has a very Lemmy feel to it. Couldnt imagine Drowning Pool doing it.

That DX band are fierce like RATM.

hmm i didnt know drowning pool did the game song first. It has a very Lemmy feel to it. Couldnt imagine Drowning Pool doing it.

They didn't, i think it's done in order of time, song, and then by band name. Drowning Pool did a different version of the same song but with the same name. It can be heard on the Triple H - The Game DVD, and i THINK it was done for Wrestlemania X8 but i could be wrong on that, i haven't watched it in years.
    That DX band are fierce like RATM.

Regarding "Break It Down", the DX Theme. It's one of the most wrongly labeled downloaded mp3s, along with The Who's "Baba O'Reilly" that's often mislabeled "Teenage Wasteland".

No they played at that alright, and i do remember them doing the song. But Motorhead did it as well at a live show..

I imagine so about the wrongly labelled mp3, its like RATM by numbers.

I think HHH's return in...January 02?? was one of the best I have ever seen. Despite a pretty suspicious/massive increase in his size..One of the best pops and emotions i have personally seen in a return segment.

No they played at that alright, and i do remember them doing the song. But Motorhead did it as well at a live show..

They did it twice didn't they? X-7 and 21.
    I think HHH's return in...January 02?? was one of the best I have ever seen. Despite a pretty suspicious/massive increase in his size..One of the best pops and emotions i have personally seen in a return segment.

Yeah, but unfortunately it was the beginning of workrate decline as he couldn't move anywhere near like he used to. He'd put on about an extra 40lbs of muscle or something and it took him several months to adapt to it.

Yeah i was just watching his last match before he went out with the injury, its a HUGE difference!!

he seems to have shrunk somewhat back down.

Yeah i was just watching his last match before he went out with the injury, its a HUGE difference!!

he seems to have shrunk somewhat back down.

Got Wellness? :D

• Advertisement

haha not that i would insinuate such a slanderous accusation.

But yeah. Definitely.

Advertisement