Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Care to value my car for me?

• 26-03-2009 10:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

So, I'm considering changing my car but don't really know how much mine is worth.

Its a 1992 Mercedes 190e 2l Petrol Automatic with 160k miles, perfectly maintained with documentation to prove it. NCT due shortly but I'll get it done early so it'll have 2 years NCT, tax due in 3 months. Electric windows and sunroof. I bought it in the UK a few years ago and its been perfectly reliable since.

Carzone has few 2l for sale at the moment ranging from €900 to €5500, some other diesels and Cosworths but not similar to mine. Carzone prices can be complete fiction and not everyone wants a 17 year old car, so I imagine the market will be fairly small but theres enough people who are fond of old Mercs to be reasonably sure of a sale - if priced correctly of course.

It really does look and drive like a new car, inside and out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

€1500-€2000? Not much more, MAYBE €2500?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Looks like a minter alright...... should get top dollar for it ......

What that is, im not sure ...:o

€1500-€2000? Not much more, MAYBE €2500?

Yeah I was thinking 2.5-3k

Wanted some else to post first :D

homer90 wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking 2.5-3k

Wanted some else to post first :D

I wasnt sure either, but then i though hey! Its the internet. Not like it'l come back to haunt me...:D:o

I hope

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

fill it up with petrol and double the price:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

2L? Auto? 160kmls? Non metallic paint, smelly tree and wheeltrims?

It has to be worth at least €800....

'cptr

If it is as clean all around as that pic shows, i'd be advertising it at €2500, and be prepared to take 2 for her. They have a good following those Mercs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

2L? Auto? 160kmls? Non metallic paint, smelly tree and wheeltrims?

It has to be worth at least €800....

'cptr

Paint is actually metallic, and those trees cost money you know, so much so that I couldn't afford to replace it when it had worn out!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,719 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is it still on foreign plates?

unkel wrote: »

Nope, registered in Ireland the day after import, I'm a stickler for the rules :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

unkel wrote: »
    Or is the posted pic a few years old?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Or is the posted pic a few years old?

Photo is 2 years old but the car looks as good if not better now, I look after my cars so I do! The only difference is that the tie tags securing the wheel trims are now black instead of white, and the valve caps are now standard black plastic ones instead of the chrome ones in the photo, it ain't easy to unscrew a wet chrome cap so I ditched them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Looks a lovely car but €800 to a grand is what I think its worth. € 2,500 is the price of a mothballed minter with 1 south county Dublin owner and 60,000 miles. 160,000 is Taxi fodder at this stage no mater how nice. Does look a lovely car though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Looks a lovely car but €800 to a grand is what I think its worth. € 2,500 is the price of a mothballed minter with 1 south county Dublin owner and 60,000 miles. 160,000 is Taxi fodder at this stage no mater how nice. Does look a lovely car though...
    +1

I was gonna say 600-700

Still reckon you would get more than than that ............

Big plus is the new NCT, should it pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

I know a guy who was selling a mint 1993 manual 190 last year for €1300. I'd say advertise her for €2K and take it from there.

I know a guy who was selling a mint 1993 manual 190 last year for €1300. I'd say advertise her for €2K and take it from there.

But how much did he sell it for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

I have a Merc 190E 1988 (see attached) but it is a 2.6 six cylinder 88k miles all the box's ticked for every option available. It is impossible to value it as everyone admires it but nobody offers to buy it. You have some hope of selling yours but it could take a while to get 2k or more for it. It would sell fast for 1k.
    I, on the other hand will be stuck with mine until it becomes a proper classic at least.

Dermo123 wrote: »
    I have a Merc 190E 1988 (see attached) but it is a 2.6 six cylinder 88k miles all the box's ticked for every option available. It is impossible to value it as everyone admires it but nobody offers to buy it. You have some hope of selling yours but it could take a while to get 2k or more for it. It would sell fast for 1k.
    I, on the other hand will be stuck with mine until it becomes a proper classic at least.

You could be stuck with a lot worse! I don't feel too sorry for you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

quenching wrote: »
    You could be stuck with a lot worse! I don't feel too sorry for you ;)

Its the 1,200euro motor tax that is the killer. Not looking for sympathy or anything but it does gall me to pay that for a car that does only a handfull of miles every year. Apart from that I'm delighted with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

steve06 wrote: »
    +1

I was gonna say 600-700

That's a bit of a harsh valuation. If it's as good as the OP says it is, it has to be worth at least a thousand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

VolvoMan wrote: »
    That's a bit of a harsh valuation. If it's as good as the OP says it is, it has to be worth at least a thousand.

+1

But, to be quiet frank, the car is worth nothing, unless you can get something to give you money for it. Noone in their right mind will hand out a 2k for a 20 year old Merc with 160,000miles on it. Who will give you that money, if the enthusiast who actually has an interest in Mercs. I would find that car hard to value, as I would be biased because I have a thing for 190's.

No one jump down my throat, I'm not saying it's not worth anything, but I don't think this is a car to be valued on a public forum, more so a Mercedes forum etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

If you wanted to sell it you might indeed get the 2k for it but it would be a long wait. That car will definitely appeal to someone-with the pepperpot alloys it would be savage-but when that someone comes along is another thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Noone in their right mind will hand out a 2k for a 20 year old Merc with 160,000miles on it.

If somebody was selling a 190E Cosworth or 560 SEL with that mileage for 2k I'd be biting their hand off!:D

If somebody was selling a 190E Cosworth or 560 SEL with that mileage for 2k I'd be biting their hand off!:D

And I'd be tackling you to bite their hand off first:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,332 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

he'd hardly drop a few quid...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/190/2.5-16-v/200910192046201/advert :)

this ones not far off though

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C76757/

Saab Ed wrote: »
    this ones not far off though

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C76757/

Aye, she looks a tad rough. Just a tad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,332 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

which is the one to have the 2.3 or the 2.5

I think i've seen the irish one up close before, it's a minter if it's the same car... seriously low mileage...

• Advertisement

Dermo123 wrote: »
    Its the 1,200euro motor tax that is the killer. Not looking for sympathy or anything but it does gall me to pay that for a car that does only a handfull of miles every year. Apart from that I'm delighted with it.

I'm too am tired of paying motor tax for my mileage of 50 miles per week, so I plan on getting a pre '79 car on classic car tax status, an old Mercedes or Volvo probably. I'm happy to pay for a good one rather than a cheap pile of rust, they just take time to find.

As the general opinion on price seems to vary wildly I guess I was correct is saying it wouldn't appeal to everyone. I'm in no hurry to sell, I'll keep it until I'm happy the classic is reliable enough for regular use. Its not like its depreciating by thousands every month, it'll be worth the same this time next year.

Thanks to all for the opinions, even the disparaging ones!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

The 190 has definately dated better than most in that vintage although I cant see anyone paying close to 2k for a 2 ltr petrol - a diesel mite be a diferent story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

for 17 yr old it looks in good nick, from that photo.. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and unless you meet an old merc freak with a passion for them it won't shift for anymore than 1k.. if you get offered a grand take the hand and all is my advice!

Advertisement