Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charcoal ashes - good for soil / plants?

Options
  • 24-03-2009 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

After barbecues Im left with ashes. It would be a mix of Charcoal and some wood ash - 50/50 mix.

Good for the soil / veg?

Also - anyone know of a good place to get Charcoal in 5 - 10 kilo bags. Woodies is a rip.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Very good mixed in with compost be make sure no hot ash present. Excellent addition directly on to soil and mix in.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Believe it or not I find that cuttings do really well in ashes from turf,wood,coal etc
    I discovered this when some rose cuttings I dumped, sprouted...

The ash is in a compacted mound and I just stick the cuttings into it..

also soot is very high in nitrogen so It good for all green vegetables, grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

thats handy to know. I can use those BBQ ashes now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

coal ash is not recommended for use in the garden, especially around food plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

wood ash is recommended for putting around Fruit trees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Here's a list of ashes which can and can't be used in the Garden.

1. Wood products can (pellets, wood logs, reconstituted products (for example Ecoflame logs), BBQ charcoal).
    2. Peat, turf and BNM Briquettes can.
    3. Coal of any type can't (Lignite, Bituminous, Anthracite etc...) these contain heavy metals and can contaminate soil and food.
    4. Waste products (rubbish etc) cannot. These contain fragments of unburned waste and also heavy metals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Here's a list of ashes which can and can't be used in the Garden.

1. Wood products can (pellets, wood logs, reconstituted products (for example Ecoflame logs), BBQ charcoal).
    2. Peat, turf and BNM Briquettes can.
    3. Coal of any type can't (Lignite, Bituminous, Anthracite etc...) these contain heavy metals and can contaminate soil and food.
    4. Waste products (rubbish etc) cannot. These contain fragments of unburned waste and also heavy metals.

BBQ charcoal). - Thats cool. Charcoal is made from what? Wood that is smoked?

Anyone know a good reasonably priced place to buy 10+ kilo bags of charcoal thats reasonably priced? Woodies is a rip.

Advertisement