Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel Kalash AKS74 - Discussion

Options
  • 21-03-2009 4:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

Nice review sam. :)

Regarding the magazines, I found it was much easier to just trim the lip of the mags slightly to make them fit right. a carpet knife is perfect and it only takes a second. I did it for a couple of people on your team. :)

EDIT: almost forgot. you should post a discussion thread for it to keep this one clean. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Masada wrote: »
    Nice review sam. :)

Regarding the magazines, I found it was much easier to just trim the lip of the mags slightly to make them fit right. a carpet knife is perfect and it only takes a second. I did it for a couple of people on your team. :)

EDIT: almost forgot. you should post a discussion thread for it to keep this one clean. :)

Maybe our lovely new master the master will do so :)

I have pics, just no computer with SD card port :mad:

My stance is that a proprietary gun should suit standard mags, not the other way round. I'll be doing the kalash to suit my mags, as I have 8 that I use in other AK aegs, so I'll maintain compatibility.

As above,

All red comrades welcome. (and bi-curious armalite users :D)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Maybe our lovely new master the master will do so :)

As requested my good man

Our savior!

Ahem, thanks.

The mag issue is a pain though alrite, IMO trimming the mag lip would weaken it, its a small enough part as is, and has the leverage of the mag to contend with. Being an odd gun, I'll make it suit my current mag loadout, that suits all other AK's.

I don't know if its a monopolisation attempt by dboys or just poor R&D, but I'd rather my gun suited all mags, in case of field swapping at games etc.

One question, did the modified mags seat very loosely in a standard AK or not? as the dboys mags have a chamfered slope rather than being shorter completely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

No, there was no problems with cross compatibility after trimming them a little, its literally a millimeter or so, so theres no weakening or anything. the mags would actually fit the dboys with a little persuasion but they were a bit tight, it also makes a lot more sense to file away at an expendable magazine instead of doing it to a catch that is nearly impossible to find separate. :)

• Advertisement

So a modded mag would seat into a regular AK without being excessively loose, given the wedged shape of the dboys catch?

As long as its done correctly, a modified mag catch has many benefits for compatibility, and I don't fancy having loose mags in one for gun for the sake of another, I think I'll file the catch, as others have done, bit more effort but I think its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

what type mags you using sam?
    i find the MAG brand a little tight but if you just give them a good solid shove they click in very sung & secure, no play in any direction.

that way theres no need to trim anything off either the catch nor the mags, dont have to worry about other brands being loose in her then.

whats the exact model no on the box?
    is it rk-03fs?

i have the rk-06 to put a RA tech kit into but am considering either another 06 or possibly 03 to skirmish, after seeing your gun also has the laminate lower handguard & bearing bushings im fairly tempeted to get one.

how is she balance wise? iv a 74su and it is just right, wouldnt like anymore metal at the muzzel end.

The weight is very evenly distributed, and everything is rock solid, the added reasurance of the steel parts is worth more than just the laminated handguard, which is lovely in itself alright.

Mines modded to take mag mags, when seated by force, they pressed up on the hop unit and gearbox to the extent of bending the barrel and hop upwards with the gearbox, which is not a good thing.

Having filed the mag catch the mags just sit right, no excessive force needed to seat, which could break something on the mag or hop.

Ah yeah i wouldnt be botherin with her if she wasnt steel, jesus a couple of years ago we were content with just some bit metal and/or wood on the gun, now we can be fussy as to what type of metal and wood.:rolleyes:

I dont think my mag fit is as tight as that but ill keep an eye on it.

what did she run you in the end?

170 with IAA discount, Tony in Eirsoft got it in, afaik they are going to be stocking them in place of the older models.

It has a few bobs worth of upgrade parts installed now, bought them a long time ago so not sure of total cost.

• Advertisement

nice one lad, was just the base price of the gun i was after, though you might have got her in from abroad.

have you the exact model no from the box?
    dont want to get the pot metal/"hardwood" version.

I'd say rk03s, I'm away at the moment so not sure.

They are sold distictly different from the older models, rsov and gunner have them, and are specified as full steel, the laminated furniture in the images is a dead give away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

So a modded mag would seat into a regular AK without being excessively loose, given the wedged shape of the dboys catch?

yep, no rattling at all. its no different to the way the stanadard mag locks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

i modded my mags to fit my dboys ak and they also fit my galil to with out a prob rather mod a mag then a catch go on say that 3 times fast i dare ya

I did it my way anyway already so I'm happy enough.

I like that my AK is now fully mag compatible, and having done the filing myself, the mags lock in very tightly, no mag wobble for me :)

But the other way sounds adequate, I just went the harder route for the compatibility.

Really loving this aeg, mad for another one! Even a VFC now seems tempting, seriously nice construction, and the VFC has the quality also.

May get an AKM, as you can AFAIK just replace the flash hider and stock to make an ak74.

Really great clone this anyway, looking forward to their future lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

i would always say mod the catch not the mags, if you choose to purchuce a non ddoys ak and you have moded the mags you will normaly find they would be loss, where as if you mod the catch you mags still remain compatiable with other ak models

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

It's great to read a professional review like this one. Thanks

Advertisement