Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Help Thread

Options
  • 17-03-2009 2:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi anyone know a good cure for insomnia? Ive tried all the usual rubbish drink,seditives,meditation. Nothing works,worse still ive to be at my desk functioning by 8.30am this morning.Been like this the last month..no clue as to why even.:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Less stressful lifestyle?

Try exercising too, (only during the day) exhaust yourself physically, and look at your diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Masturbate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Kieo

read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Develop a split personality a la Fight Club and have some fun with it.

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

Lettuce sandwiches help apparently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭flying _squirl

this info is true and will halp if you've got trouble sleeping. a lot of it comes from reading up on sleeping disorders where as the rest of my advice comes from my own meandering experience. i will dispense this advice... now:

before bed:

make sure you go to bed.
    a lot of people believe they have insomnia because they just don't got to bed and lie down without reading or sticking on the tv.

try not drinking tea, coffee, or anything that has caffeine from 2pm onwards.
    Caffeine can stay in your system for a very long time. it gives you the thumping heat feeling at night when your trying to sleep.

before going to bed drink a glass of milk.
    milk has a chemical in it called lactium which calms you nerves (for want of a better description) and allows you to get better sleep

make sure you're comfortable in bed.
    not too hot, not too cold and lying in a position you could see your self sleeping in for the whole night.

do not think about tomorrow.
    normally this will make you remember things that you have to do and you might worry about forgetting to do them. if you do have things to do make a list that you bring with you the next day so you can have a clear mind.

don't think about sleep.
    yea, weird i know. the best thing that works for me is to concentrate on my breathing. slowly trying to calm it more and more and taking longer but not deeper breaths. eventually you'll be waking up to your alarm.

morning after no sleep:

if you have trouble getting up, set an alarm on your phone, and put it on the other side of the room!
    also lay out your cloths for the next day right down to the socks and shoes!

if you didn't get a good night sleep and you need to be alert for the next day start the day off with a blind shower. basically you close your eyes for the entire time your showering. because your missing the sense you use most your brain has to work extra quick to get the other senses up and running. this will wake you up quicker and make you more alert. the shower is the best place to do this because its a confined space and you know where everything is.

eat and drink well!
    start with a glass of water. during the night you've lost a lot of moisture, a glass of water really helps!
    eat a good breakfast like porridge or warm wheetabix. this literally sets you up for the day!!! do not eat a sugary serial, your body processes the sugar quickly which will give you a quick energy boost which leads to an energy slump (i.e. 3pm slump, more on that in a min). the heat of the porridge or warm wheetabix saves you from spending energy on keeping yourself warm and from trying to heat up all the cold milk you would have ingested with that sugary serial.

for lunch try to avoid things that have a lot of bready starches. your body has a hard time processing it and must divert a lot of energy to doing so, this makes you feel tired about an hour to two hours after you've eaten it, hence the 3pm slump. combine this with the slump after the energy high from sugary foods like chocolate and your pritty much f*cked. having said that a little chocolate at lunch wouldn't be too bad but to be honest, if your already tired you wont beat a banana or two. yea it sounds stupid but they release the energy more consistently which is what your body really needs and they're good for you. win win.

then go to bed early.

hope this helps

cookie for whoever gets the refrence in the first few lines :D

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

... where as the rest of my advice comes from my own meandering experience. i will dispense this advice... now:

Baz Luhrman - Sunscreen song

... cookie for whoever gets the refrence in the first few lines :D

Pass it over!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭flying _squirl

Baz Luhrman - Sunscreen song

Pass it over!! :pac:

ohhhh, close. its called everybody's free (to wear sunscreen). no cookies for you.

just kidding, here you go, freshly googled

cookies.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

because of squirls great advice, im adding this thread to the Noc index.
    feel free to point out pasat threads that should be merged, or should be added to the list.

Thanks,

Nerin

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If I am having trouble sleeping what I find is really good is to take a day to physically exhaust yourself. Sport or whatever, until you are so tired your body makes you sleep. I find my body clock is reset when I do this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

During college i had my boyfriend tell me how to fill out a profit and loss sheet worked everytime.

Advertisement