Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wishlist?

Options
  • 11-03-2009 6:29pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If money were no object or even just watches you have your eye on, but haven't gotten around to getting, what would you get?

Given I'm vintage boyo:p, I'll start with these;

rx2701.jpg
    Hanhart Pilots chrono, used by Luftwaffe pilots in WW2.

The later (1960/70's)issued incarnation of same;
    rx2409.jpg
    Heuer chrono before Tag took over. V nice watch and movement. Rated to to pull 15+g and still keep time.

Back to the late 20's Lindbergh Longines Hour angle pilots navigation watch
    17.jpg
    Need about 20 grand for that one though:eek:

Patek Philippe Calatrava
    Patek3919_04.jpg
    No complications, no date, just hours minutes and seconds. Beautiful in it's simplicity and execution and will last longer(100's of years) if looked after than most other watches out there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

any early longines pocket watch for me the movements are just it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Me likee the Moser. V nice.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Wibbs wrote: »

Patek Philippe Calatrava

No complications, no date, just hours minutes and seconds. Beautiful in it's simplicity and execution and will last longer(100's of years) if looked after than most other watches out there.

I think they have this one, or one very very similar in Weir & Sons Dundrum, it doesn't have any price on it though which is a bad sign, if you have to ask you can't afford it etc whats a ballpark figure on cost ?

bedlam wrote: »
    Amazingly, not that bad. I have the Calatrava 5119's list price at $17,400

better start saving :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

MooseJam wrote: »
    better start saving :)
    :D yea me too. I have to say with 17 K to spend the stuff I could get(inc a vintage PP calatrava) boggles the mind.....

PS bedlam, as an aside, on the evidence of you saying that $17,400 is not that bad, may I be so bold as to suggest a civil marriage ceremony, or possibly an adoption of some sort on your part? As my watch collection would defo benefit.....:D

• Advertisement

moserlg1.jpg
    That is a nice watch, it has to be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

I'm more of a tool watch kinda guy so...

Omega Planet Ocean (orange bezel)

51mVT7qEd0L.jpg

Breitling Superocean Heritage (want blue on mesh! lol not so much tool as bling and looks good with a suit)

22458.jpg

Breitling B1 (if only Breitling had kept the full numerals and countdown bezel on the Airwolf :( )

b1breitlingtimetolive.jpg

I think the B1 will be my next purchase! :D (Would feel wrong to "settle" for the Airwolf when it's 3k euro! )

Here's another one I'd love. Big money though. Well 8 grand +

ImportedPhotos00212.jpg

Its a Seikosha issued to Japanese pilots of WW2. Seikosha is Seiko's original name means "house of exquisite miniatures". Which sounds much more romantic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Heres mine

Rolex GMT2 C

gmt2cz.jpg

Daytona

3172055720_1a47d6d691.jpg?v=0

Glashutte Sport Evo

Basel_SportEvoGMTbracelet.png

Damasko DC66

damasko-dc66-watch-on-ebay.jpg

Looking at the Damasko, reminded me of one of the modern watches I would love;

csar4large.jpg

Marathon CSAR. Officially only issued to armed forces, so pretty damned rare in the general population. Some do show up though at 2,500k. Water resistant to 300M screw in crown and pushers. Tritium gas tube luminous so doesn't need charging like luminova. 25 jewel(maybe same base calibre as the Damasko?). Huge watch though so I better beef up my wrist as well as my wallet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

here's a few of mine

love oakley watchs really mad,

this ones called the jury

10-168.jpg

another oakley one called the judge
    oakley_judge2-thumb.jpg
    Another oakley crank case.
    10-230.jpg

and this one is just a bit mad.
    love it tho http://professionalwatches.com/2007/02/urwerk_201_blackshark.html

Some pocket watchs now :)

wengerpocketwatch.jpg

These ones below are pretty cheep at under a 100 euros think i might be saving for the next 5 weeks :D

skagenpocketwatch.jpg

Good call Snow-Monkey.

Oh me likey the Richard Mille RM020. Verrrry much.

And from the vintage old styleeee pocket watches;

Longines 24 hour dial, high grade chronometer ordered by the US military early teens 1920's
    rm646.jpg

Movement

rm646m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The urwerk 103.1 - if you could apply your own case designs as you can for the special edition later model, looks better in my opinion than the open-faced 103.3, although the limited edition Blackbird is an exception. The 201 works much better as an open face design. The 103T is awful.

Urwerk103b.jpg

Damn maybe I'm wrong. Can't decide now.
    103c.jpg

Opus V - I think everyone wants this watch, so it's a rather generic choice. Who cares! Want one! Most of the Opus series have been great, although I wasn't much a fan of the 7, the 6 was a nice watch but much overshadowed by its predecessor. The 8 I would love to see in action, I think it would be worth seeing how well the effect works in person. The 9 is a lovely design in render, but too large and deep on the wrist.

harrywinston-opus5_short.jpg

The Richard Mille watches are beautiful in proportions, but I don't like excessively skeletonised pieces.

The Quantum Gravity looks awesome for its see-through cabling, but I don't know if I'd own one.
    concord-c1-quantum-gravity-1.jpg

I also like the original black and white Othello series from Raymond Weil - beautiful, simple elegant watches, unlike the hideous footballer's wives relaunch efforts.
    9940912_1.jpg

Along the same lines, the square Piaget Altiplano is a lovely watch from a company that seems to have an overwhelming need to be seen in the Guinness book of records for "most diamonds per square inch on a tacky piece of **** watch".

The Android Horizon is a watch I have that I must get a new strap for (looks better with a blue face)
    AD54AKII-med.jpg

A very large watch can work if its proportions are in check, but the Opus 9 is far too deep, and much too bulky and butch for such an elegant face concept. Shrunk down to 2/3 of its current proportions, it would look wonderful. Also strange that I haven't fancied much of MB&F's Horological Machines since he left Harry Winston.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

right now, I'd love one of these:

Damn maybe I'm wrong. Can't decide now.
    103c.jpg

that thing looks like something cadalac would make with the fin's etc really nice :cool::) almost 1950s kinda like some of the fridge's car's etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'm not a huge fan of wrist watches... I tend to stick with pocket watches.

But I noticed today that Commodore had an LED watch out back in the 70s.

commodore_led_1.jpg

Very tempted to try and pick one up as I grew up on Commodore computers. Vic-20 => C-64 => Amiga 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

new to this part of boards and never knew such watches existed:D wow!:eek:
    the urwerk watches are class!:cool:
    absolute genius to come up with them! what sort of money would the 103 make? was looking at the website and the 202 i think is a nicer watch!

urwerk watches are all hand made so you're talking in the realms of "if you have to ask..." Over €50,000 anyway. The Opus V was very limited and changes hands at auction for 6 figures.

If you like what you see here you should have a dig through watchismo and horomundi

• Advertisement

continuing along the lines of monkeyfudge's 70's vibe I wouldn't mind a couple of these;
    SpacemanCa1-Arm1.jpg

spacemanovalbrown.jpg

Mad looking altogether.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

urwerk watches are all hand made so you're talking in the realms of "if you have to ask..." Over €50,000 anyway. The Opus V was very limited and changes hands at auction for 6 figures.

If you like what you see here you should have a dig through watchismo and horomundi
    i see, and askin il be! :D cheers lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

I've already started saving for this...

Officine Panerai, official suppliers to the italian navy from 1900-1998, when they first started selling to the general public.

LuminorGmt40mmalligator.jpg

This side of christmas all going well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

My bad :o Yes I had looked at and am interested in the 44mm rather than what I posted! Looked similar in the picture. Apologies and well spotted sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

this will be my next piece: Omega Speedmaster ref 3573 (double sapphire, hesalite is not for me)

3573.50.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Money no object? Then these 2!

How much were Panerai's before Stallone 'discovered' them, are people basically paying thousands and thousands for a watch because he likes them.

Interesting pricelist - they have +100k tourbillons - and you can't see them, why bother

Oh it gets worse. For me at least. Had the chance of one of the original Italian navy ones. The ones with the rolex movement AFAIR. Late 80's IIRC. The guy wanted 500 quid old money for it. I didn't have that sadly(lot of money at the time) and TBH I didn't like the look of it on my wrist. Doh!!!!:eek::)

• Advertisement

The Chinese are making them cheap now, you can get one for a couple hundred euro on ebay, might pick one up myself.

Advertisement