Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD over fireplace/stove?

Options
  • 08-03-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

I'm wanting to get an 42" LCD and so its going to be too big for the current place i have my tv. The next best place is mounted above the fireplace/stove as its in the centre of the room. My only concern is will the heat coming up from the stove damage the tv over time? I've asked in stores about this but the guys don't really want to say one way or the other. So what i would like is for people that have their tvs above the fireplace or stove to tell me their experiences of this. Below is a pic of the proposed area to put it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

i have mine right above a radiator. i got a thick "floating" shelf underneath the tv to block the heat going up the back of the tv.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9796629&fh_view_size=6&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=floating+shelf&fh_eds=ß&fh_refview=search&ts=1236527100020&isSearch=true

like this so you cant see the supports for the shelf.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mark1975

suppafly wrote: »
    I'm wanting to get an 42" LCD and so its going to be too big for the current place i have my tv. The next best place is mounted above the fireplace/stove as its in the centre of the room. My only concern is will the heat coming up from the stove damage the tv over time? I've asked in stores about this but the guys don't really want to say one way or the other. So what i would like is for people that have their tvs above the fireplace or stove to tell me their experiences of this. Below is a pic of the proposed area to put it.

no problem check out lg 6100 range demo on u tube really flush samsung are launching a new model next week also very thin
    <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Ive an LCD over the mantelpiece for 4 years now. Still as good as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

thank god ritz edited that post by mark1975... i've never heard such §hite!

once you have something to block the heat from the bottom of the tv you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

I mounted my Pioneer 42" Plasma over a Fireplace. Its not often used. Normally sat or Sun night with a roaring coal fire. I have a large marble surround on Fireplace which turns the heat away from telly its actually cool enough when the fire is on.

My only wory with yours is that you don't have a fire place to reflect the heat. Is it an electric fire? if it is, your fine. They don't put out much heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

trabpc wrote: »
    I mounted my Pioneer 42" Plasma over a Fireplace. Its not often used. Normally sat or Sun night with a roaring coal fire. I have a large marble surround on Fireplace which turns the heat away from telly its actually cool enough when the fire is on.

My only wory with yours is that you don't have a fire place to reflect the heat. Is it an electric fire? if it is, your fine. They don't put out much heat.

Any pics ? I am also considering mounting over the mantle/fireplace, but was afraid it might be to high?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 AV - TEC

Our 46" Samsung has sat over our stove for 3 years with no probs - But we do have a big mantelpiece and the LCD is just inside the edge of the mantelpiece so the riseing heat never affects the Tv to much, but it still gets pritty hot around the base of the tv id say more than most tv's hanging over a matelpiece as that is one hell of a stove.

[IMG]file:///E:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Av%20Tec/Desktop/fire.JPG[/IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,977 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Get a thermometer that records max and min temps. tape to the wall where the TV is to go and see what temperature the area gets to. Consult the specs for the TV as to max operating temp.

AV - TEC wrote: »
    Our 46" Samsung has sat over our stove for 3 years with no probs - But we do have a big mantelpiece and the LCD is just inside the edge of the mantelpiece so the riseing heat never affects the Tv to much, but it still gets pritty hot around the base of the tv id say more than most tv's hanging over a matelpiece as that is one hell of a stove.

Looks good !

What height is the TV at ? Do you find it to high for viewing? Also does the fire distract you when viewing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 AV - TEC

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Looks good !

What height is the TV at ? Do you find it to high for viewing? Also does the fire distract you when viewing ?

Thanks,

Well to the top of the mantelpiece is about 4ft 8in which is high enough i guess, but to be honest i never had a problem viewing the TV at that height but the screen is 46" i wouldn't put a 40" up that high and i have a 50" in the box ready to go up :D.

No the Fire never distracted my viewing and only you mentioned it there now i never even taught of it as a distraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

You have no mantle piece thing, only a coal burning stove. I'd imagine it gives off great heat? Whereas most tvs are hung above a mantle and this will stop the majority of the heat. My worst fear is the heat would over time do damage to the tv.
    I wouldn't like to risk it.

Any pics ? I am also considering mounting over the mantle/fireplace, but was afraid it might be to high?

pics of 42" pioneer over fireplace as requested

Cheers, looks great ! Will be showing the better half later.......I feel a project coming on (or at least being considered). :D

Also, with the TV over the fireplace are you just using the TV speakers or a surround sound set-up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

While it is possible to mount a T.V. over a regular fireplace, am I correct in saying that what you have is a stove?
    I wouldn't pub a T.V. over that, they gives out a lot more (direct) heat.

Also, with the TV over the fireplace are you just using the TV speakers or a surround sound set-up ?

Both, Sky connected to an old yamaha amp via optical, and a scart from sky box to tv. normally just use tv speakers.

Both, Sky connected to an old yamaha amp via optical, and a scart from sky box to tv. normally just use tv speakers.

Center speaker placement ? or you don't use one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

apart from the heat issue there's the practical problem of a screen over a fireplace. Take a sheet of newspaper and pin it where you intend to place the TV. Sit in your comfy armchair and just look at the newspaper sheet for about twenty minutes (consider the meaning of life or how to improve public transport). How does your neck feel now? How would it feel after an evenings TV viewing of maybe five hours? Usually it's not comfortable to watch TV at that angle so try it out first.

agreed it can take a bit of getting used to having a TV so high on wall. Neck can be a bit stretched but you get used to it. If I was replacing my Kuro 42" I would not mount it on wall.

Center speaker placement ? or you don't use one ?

Not sure what you mean here . Yes the Yamaha has a 5.1 speaker set with 2 rears 2 fronts and one centre plus sub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    apart from the heat issue there's the practical problem of a screen over a fireplace. Take a sheet of newspaper and pin it where you intend to place the TV. Sit in your comfy armchair and just look at the newspaper sheet for about twenty minutes (consider the meaning of life or how to improve public transport). How does your neck feel now? How would it feel after an evenings TV viewing of maybe five hours? Usually it's not comfortable to watch TV at that angle so try it out first.

Completely agree from experience, my 40" Samsung is now back on a stand where it belongs, looks better too in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A TV over the fireplace... you must have a neck like a giraffe. Why do you think TV stands are built at eye level for a person sitting on a chair / sofa?

Why look at the mantlepiece while you're poking the fire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭bongotime

I heard about a tv. and couple and there kids went out and left the tv and fire on. and the Tv Melted into the wall. this was at christmas. they came home it was a wad of rubber

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

bongotime wrote: »
    I heard about a tv. and couple and there kids went out and left the tv and fire on. and the Tv Melted into the wall. this was at christmas. they came home it was a wad of rubber

They weren't burning candles by any chance? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

bongotime wrote: »

I'm surprised the whole house didn't burn down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

AV - TEC wrote: »

Thats a nice job and more or less what I'm looking to do myself. Can I ask what stove you have sitting in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭sooty_soupy

A fireplace is different from a stove. An open fire can loose anything up to 90% of the heat it produces up through the flue which is why so many people are fitting stoves.

If you have a stove, a timber mantle is not a good idea for obvious reasons, but is better than nothing to project the heat away from the tv. At our stoves and flues showroom in Co Down we have live stoves and plan to have an LCD above one of the models, and have got a nice 12mm toughened glass shelf to do the same thing, but slate, granite or anything non combustible will do. If you read the manufacturers instructions for the TV it will more than likely tell you how close you can have it to a heat source. If you don't comply...no warranty...it is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭spfeno

Trabpc,

can you tell me was it a big job channelling out for the wires on the chimney breast. Can you (or anyone else) tell me how far into the chimney breast structure is safe to anglegrind to hide/bury cable conduit for a job like this.

I'm considering doing this over the next few weeks with a 42'' LCD but want to plan it out in advance, i.e. having read a few posts I think a swivel mount to tilt screen downwards slightly may be the best move. Also reckon I'm gonna need to bury a good few cables (Scart, R/G/B & Y/U/Rg, HDMI, etc) the cost of which will mount. I've been searching on PIXMANIA for these cables - does anyone know of any better site................ and (in the words of Columbo) just one more question - HDMI cables vary in price - don't fancy spending extra top dollar but don't want to go cheap as this is a permanent job and I want to cater for technological expansion over the next few years - any suggestions where to draw the line with the HDMI's (or is there a new alternative)

many thanx,

Spfeno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Winnie21

Hi there,

I was hoping to resurrect this thread! I am thinking about mounting a TV over the fire place and I just wanted to ask those who have this done/those who know about electrics - how easy is it to hide cables? I will have a cabinet to the side of the fireplace where DVD etc. will be kept and I will need to be able to connect these to the TV. Can cables go through chimney breasts? Is this an option? I don't really want the plastic things that cover wires and sit outside the wall. I want it all to be hidden.

Thanks all - any info. will be greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

When I built the house three years back I chased (embedded) hdmi cables from where I planned to mount the TV to where my AV unit and other bits are. That was straight forward at the time as the house was a new build.

Not sure how you'd cleanly retrofit mind, without cutting and replastering and repainting over your existing wall.

TV still standing mind you, gets warm but hasn't melted or broke since and I'm running a stove under the mantle!

Advertisement