Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mate (yerba) how to make

Options
  • 05-03-2009 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

I drink mate sometimes when in Latvia and have the gourd and leaves etc at home but came some one tell me how to make

I got instructions but they didn't translate well and looked it up on line and the procedure seemed way off what i had experienced, and measurements etc

how many (teasponns0 to a gourd, how long do you wait, do you have to treat the gourd occasionally
    and something about how you moved the "straw" ( am tired can't remember the name for it) to move the leave etc ??

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

They have mate in Latvia? :confused:

In Argentina you just add as much as you want and use boiling water, volumes of each are up to personal taste...

Erm, where's teh Mate from btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

what's it like?
    there's some of the wee cups and a bombilla in the house left over from an argentinian girl who used to live in my house.

wouldnt mind trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Hi - I got side tracked answering this

Jerba /Mate is available in all the tea houses, the franchises like DOUBLE COFFEE etc

Not sure its as popular as it was but saw it for sale last week when there

I'll check whats on the labels at home

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

How do I make this without the 'codology of bombilla-whatever and steel drinking straws? thanks. Sounds too technical. Feel like chucking the packet of tea out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I drink mate sometimes when in Latvia and have the gourd and leaves etc at home but came some one tell me how to make

I got instructions but they didn't translate well and looked it up on line and the procedure seemed way off what i had experienced, and measurements etc

how many (teasponns0 to a gourd, how long do you wait, do you have to treat the gourd occasionally
    and something about how you moved the "straw" ( am tired can't remember the name for it) to move the leave etc ??

Any help much appreciated

Drinking mate is not an easy procedure. In fact unless you have someone to help you it is likely you will not do it correctly and will end up ruining it the experience.

Its hard to explain over the internet, you need to ask someone to show you, preferable someone from Argentina or Uruguay who has been doing this all their life and were taught but their parents etc.

Preparing mate before your frist drink is when you level the tea and turn the mate sideways while you add the water is almost impossible to explain but is the most important part of the process. If you dont do it correctly the mate will taste watery.

The way you do it anyway is you fill 3/4 of the mate with the tea and then pour water while you bring the leaves to the front of the mate, adding water slowly. This process is called "cebar". Also, the mate (that's the recipient) needs to be cured prior to first use for over 1 day.

Its hard to explain, my family has been drinking mate forever although I never quite got into the habit of doing it myself (I am the only one in my family - this includes, grandparents, aunts, uncles, brothers, parents, cousins, etc) so I am well used to it.

Good luck though, maybe youtube might have some information about it? look for "como cebar mate" to learn how to do it and "como curar mate" if you want to learn how to cure the mate itself before starting...

Best yerba is probably targagui, there is a butcher (yes a butcher) who sells them in pearse street besides tesco. You can also buy it online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

The butcher is gone. I think he moved to lower dorset street. There is a web based shop that sells all you need almacenargentino.com

Waiting for the to deliver as I type...

Advertisement