Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

renault megane 1.4 dynamic

Options
  • 02-03-2009 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

hi ppl. i drive a 05 renault megane 1.4 dynamic. last couple of days when i go to start it in the morning it takes a few tries and then it pops up on the screen "check injection" and i get a max rev of 3100. then if i turn car off again it gets full revs and drives perfect. im wondering if anyone else has this problem or if anyone would know what it is.
    reason i ask, i would like to have an idea of what im talking about before i go to garage.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Sounds like coils but Renault will tell you it's the computer and will charge you €900 and then when that doesn't work, they'll tell its the wiring loom and will look for another €1500 and then when that doesn't work thay will give you a 'great' trade-in deal on a new Renault. Well that's what they tried to do to me.... Check coils and make sure that you use Renault own brand spark plugs - that's the only thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭BrianD3

You could try cleaning the flywheel sensor and see if that makes any difference. Even if you are not mechanically minded, if you have a few basic tools, you could do it. Here is a guide
    http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10062

edit: if you do clean the sensor, whatever you do, don't let any screws or other items fall into the flywheel housing (there is a hole in the housing that the sensor "looks" through)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

BrianD3 wrote: »
    You could try cleaning the flywheel sensor and see if that makes any difference. Even if you are not mechanically minded, if you have a few basic tools, you could do it. Here is a guide

edit: if you do clean the sensor, whatever you do, don't let any screws or other items fall into the flywheel housing (there is a hole in the housing that the sensor "looks" through)

ye deffo could be a flywheel, had the same problem with an 04 Scenic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Rod & Reel

thanks lads. a lot better off knowledge wise than i was an hour r 2 ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

BrianD3 wrote: »

Try this first, this is what it sounds like and it is a very common problem on your make & model... Also, are you sure the fault says "check injection"???

• Advertisement

zapata wrote: »
    Sounds like coils but Renault will tell you it's the computer and will charge you €900 and then when that doesn't work, they'll tell its the wiring loom and will look for another €1500 and then when that doesn't work thay will give you a 'great' trade-in deal on a new Renault. Well that's what they tried to do to me.... Check coils and make sure that you use Renault own brand spark plugs - that's the only thing.

I don't think it is this because if it was, the OP wouldn't find that the car starts normally on the second attempt, but you never know, I wouldn't eliminate it either...

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Try this first, this is what it sounds like and it is a very common problem on your make & model... Also, are you sure the fault says "check injection"???

yes darragh it says "check injection" rang a garage not a renault dealer (rip off so and so's) he was saying what another poster and u seem to agree it is the sensor and its very common. he reckons E50/60 for the sensor and his labour after that. seems fair enough if thats the only problem.

OK try the sensor. I reckon that just prevents the car from starting intermittantly. I still reckon you have 1 or 2 dodgy coils possibly caused by bad plugs which may lead to a duff ECU eventually. Check the pics - I've been there. Sagem coils with the grey top are crap - Beru are good or any other spurious ones are acceptable. Get renault branded plugs. After I replaced the coils and sorted the plugs, it took about 50 miles of normal driving before the Check Emissions warning dissappeared from the screen. Or you can just ignore all this too. Let us know how you fare either way.

OK try the sensor. I reckon that just prevents the car from starting intermittantly. I still reckon you have 1 or 2 dodgy coils possibly caused by bad plugs which may lead to a duff ECU eventually. Check the pics - I've been there. Sagem coils with the grey top are crap - Beru are good or any other spurious ones are acceptable. Get renault branded plugs. After I replaced the coils and sorted the plugs, it took about 50 miles of normal driving before the Check Emissions warning dissappeared from the screen. Or you can just ignore all this too. Let us know how you fare either way.

zap. i cleaned the sensor light and got the throttle body cleaned too it seems to be a bit better, but to be sure i have got my hands on a 2004 throttle body (crashed at 25k) for 50 and 50 to put in. i have her in for a service on friday and i bought as u suggested renault plugs. so i hope this helps it a lot. ur pic said check emmisions mine was saying check injection.
    how much were does coils?

My mistake on the Check Emissions - I'm sure mine said Check Injection also at some stage. The pic of the coils are the old crap SAGEM ones - I picked up a set of BERU coils from a breakers yard from a nearly new renault. GSF www.gsfcarparts.com in Beaumont or Nangor Road also sell them new spurious. Only 1 or 2 of the 4 coils may be faulty. Loads of info on www.renaultforums.co.uk

Oh I forgot to say that the dealer initially incorrectly diagnosed the throttle sensor of mine faulty, then the computer, then the wiring loom - they were either clueless or gangsters.

Symtoms were the car would randomly lose power but high rev around 3000rpm - would have to switch off engine and restart.
    To diagnose the coils - when the fault occurs, pop the bonnet with the engine running in faulty mode, then disconnect the leads that are attached to the coils one at a time. When you disconnect the faulty coil there is no change to the engine but when you disconnect the good coil the engine will splutter or die. I hope that's not too confusing - It's almost reverse logic.

• Advertisement

When you disconnect the faulty coil there is no change to the engine but when you disconnect the good coil the engine will splutter or die. I hope that's not too confusing - It's almost reverse logic.

This advice needs to come with a serious health warning. Handling an ignition coil, which forms part of the high tension circuit on an ignition system can lead to a fatal electric shock. It can be done safely if you know what you are doing. Ideally get someone who knows what they are doing to check this for you...

My mistake on the Check Emissions - I'm sure mine said Check Injection also at some stage. The pic of the coils are the old crap SAGEM ones - I picked up a set of BERU coils from a breakers yard from a nearly new renault. GSF www.gsfcarparts.com in Beaumont or Nangor Road also sell them new spurious. Only 1 or 2 of the 4 coils may be faulty. Loads of info on www.renaultforums.co.uk

Oh I forgot to say that the dealer initially incorrectly diagnosed the throttle sensor of mine faulty, then the computer, then the wiring loom - they were either clueless or gangsters.

Symtoms were the car would randomly lose power but high rev around 3000rpm - would have to switch off engine and restart.
    To diagnose the coils - when the fault occurs, pop the bonnet with the engine running in faulty mode, then disconnect the leads that are attached to the coils one at a time. When you disconnect the faulty coil there is no change to the engine but when you disconnect the good coil the engine will splutter or die. I hope that's not too confusing - It's almost reverse logic.

zap shes in the shop today, have him l;ooking at coils, replacing throttle body and given her a full service. so hope fully she'll be good to go tommorow.
    ill let u know

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lobber

Rod & Reel wrote: »
    zap shes in the shop today, have him l;ooking at coils, replacing throttle body and given her a full service. so hope fully she'll be good to go tommorow.
    ill let u know

Looks like i'm having the same problem, how did it all end up for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Camshaft sensor issues can throw up that fault too. They are about €40 online and is a quick swap job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Viper Antidote

Any update available??

Having a problem with an 05 Megane 1.6 petrol with a check injection warning light on.

Have changed all ignition pencil coils and plugs and cleaned out throttle body.

It's running at high revs while driving, spluttering and also cutting out after starting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement