Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom second line bargain alert

Options
  • 27-02-2009 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

If you are within 5 miles of a BB enabled exchange but can't get DSL you can now ring eircom and get a second phone line for FREE (normally €121)

NOTE: you will have to pay line rental for the 2 lines but once you get BB up and running you can cancel your old line and move your number across (takes 1 phone call)

you must ring 1901 and order it before the end of march to get it free

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Many years ago before broadband, Eircom (Telecom Eireann then) offered a free second line for a year to encourage one line for phone and one for dialup.
    I took it. It was eyars before they thought to bill me for line rental (after year 1). Suspect same will happen again??

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Could someone explain to me why this would be in any way beneficial.

It is my understanding that when you are get a new line you are simply connected up existing space lines already in place.
    If you own line doesn't work well for broadband then why would another one that was probably installed at the same time.

I presume that this understanding is wrong if this sort of promotion is worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Do they guarantee what speeds your line will support with the new line?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Random wrote: »
    Do they guarantee what speeds your line will support with the new line?

Have they ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

this thread is aimed at people on a carrier or people who are on an amber line ( must not in a contract on their current line)

there is no garentee that it will work

i have 4 customers who done this in the last year, and it worked everytime, 2 of them paid the €121, but they all got broadband and had no problem cancelling the old line and moving number

its free so well worth a try

• Advertisement

Have they ever?

This is why I'm asking.
    mukki wrote: »
    this thread is aimed at people on a carrier or people who are on an amber line ( must not in a contract on their current line)

there is no garentee that it will work

i have 4 customers who done this in the last year, and it worked everytime, 2 of them paid the €121, but they all got broadband and had no problem cancelling the old line and moving number

its free so well worth a try

What do you mean by carrier and amber line?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

carrier AKA pair gain aka line split aka shared line won't work for DSL. A 2nd line, while existing copper may not be a "pair gained" line.

Amber are lines that are nearly OK. A different pair in the bundle can be slight better or worse.

Your line might have poor joints in a cabinet. It took eircom 5 years to admit that was the reason my line had dropped from 33k to rarely connecting 19k. After they finally fixed it I got 42kbps.

Then 8 months later I got Metro and ditched the line altogether. They couldn't even give me ISDN on the digital exchange AFTER the fixed the line citing lack of shelf space.

So there is some hope of an alternate line passing if you are 5km or less from exchange.

Currently my line only supports up to 3meg. THat's my interest in this second line. If they could guarantee speeds to me I'd take it (and probably even pay for install!) in a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Random wrote: »
    Currently my line only supports up to 3meg. THat's my interest in this second line. If they could guarantee speeds to me I'd take it (and probably even pay for install!) in a second.

How far are You from the exchange? This is probably the reason You can only get 3mbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

mukki wrote: »
    If you are within 5 miles of a BB enabled exchange but can't get DSL you can now ring eircom and get a second phone line for FREE (normally €121)

NOTE: you will have to pay line rental for the 2 lines but once you get BB up and running you can cancel your old line and move your number across (takes 1 phone call)

you must ring 1901 and order it before the end of march to get it free

Just a suggestion here, but would it not be better, as soon as the new line is installed, to move your number across straight away and have the old line disconnected, thereby avoiding line rental on both ?
    If you cannot get BB on the old line, what's the point in keeping it connected until the new line is added to the BB database ?

Maybe I'm missing something and its not possible to move the number over straight away. Something very similar was suggested to me by Eircom BB sales about 2/3 years ago. Only difference was I was asked to state that the new line order was specifically for Broadband.
    As it turned out an engineer rang me to say that it was not possible to supply a line that was not pair gain due to lack of copper. Therefore, there was no point having it installed.

Incidentally, Nothing has changed in the past 2/3 years, no extra copper, and my parents house is exactly 1 mile from the exchange.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/12380/business/eircom-revenues-fall-3m-due-to-slump-in-dsl-and-retail-subscribers
    Eircom’s former managing director of retail, Cathal Magee, has been appointed acting CEO following the departure of Rex Comb.

“Despite the deepening economic crisis and the pressures that this will bring for our business, we are confident that Eircom has the scale, resilience and depth of capabilities to offer our customers competitive products and services over the highest quality fixed and mobile networks,” Magee said.

Yeah, right !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Duiske wrote: »
    Just a suggestion here, but would it not be better, as soon as the new line is installed, to move your number across straight away and have the old line disconnected, thereby avoiding line rental on both ?
    If you cannot get BB on the old line, what's the point in keeping it connected until the new line is added to the BB database ?

good point

Advertisement