Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comet Lulin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

If the weather stays clear we will see it. Its getting brighter as it gets closer to earth. I think the 24th Feb it will be closest.

rhonin wrote: »
    If the weather stays clear we will see it. Its getting brighter as it gets closer to earth. I think the 24th Feb it will be closest.

Any idea what magnitude it will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I've read that it will be 5 or 6. Supposed to rise 20mins earlier in the sky each night in the SSE direction. It also may sprout a second tail which could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

You can download a Fantastic free prog called Stellarium .
    download it here
    http://www.stellarium.org/

it is a free open source planetarium for your computer , its really very good .

Then go here

http://www.astronomylog.co.uk/2009/02/10/find-comet-lulin-in-stellarium/

and read how to edit a simple text file to import the comet details
    and you can track the comet in real time !

Hope its a help

Keep your eyes on the skies ;-)

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Thank you for the link for this program.. used it tonight to confirm that the extremely bright "star" was west of my house was actually the planet Venus..I've never seen it so bright before.

• Advertisement

Ewj1978 , you are MORE than welcome !! Its a fantastic programme and totally free and looks so real when you use it , its like looking up at the night sky outside your door , so many features also !

Thank you Ewj1978 for taking the time to write your comment , that was nice of you , so glad you found venus , Saturn is up there now in the southern sky easily seen with binocs , even with the naked eye once you know where to look

Take care Ewj1978

and thanks
    Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,904 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats brilliant, thanks, its right beside Saturn! I must have misread a chart so badly that I thought it was the complete opposite direction near Polaris :p

Wish these clouds that seem to have been sitting over all of Galway since Xmas would piss off now though.

Thargor
    How are you ?, thank you for your comment , Yes its so annoying with the clouds even here in cork tonite , fingers crossed for clearer skies Thargor , love Galway ;-) , Salthill every summer is a must ha

More info on the comet here

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/35992534.html

Take Care
    Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Has anybody seen the comet? Damn weather is ruining it here. :mad:

Advertisement