Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish VPN Service/gateway

Options
  • 09-02-2009 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is any Irish company that offers a VPN gateway service? Something similar to that offered by http://www.vpngates.com/. I have set one up using a home broadband connection but have found the speed to be inadequate for my needs. Basically, I want to be able to stream Irish content which is otherwise geo-blocked while I'm abroad. I have an Irish TV license so I wouldn't think there should be any legal issues with something like this..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mikeo

I've *finally* managed to find one! http://www.overplay.net just added an Irish server, so RTE sports for me whilst working in Dubai is now a reality! :-)

Mikey

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MjcMurfy

What is the speed and connectivity like with overplay?
    I'm thinking about signing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Overplay.net rocks - never had any issues and for about $10 a month yea get UK/US/IE VPN access :)

And if yea wanna pass on a refer to me click here -> http://www.overplay.net/r.php?i=4284638023 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Overplay.net rocks - never had any issues and for about $10 a month yea get UK/US/IE VPN access :)

And if yea wanna pass on a refer to me click here ->

Yeah I must say Overplay are great, about 27 national vpns now. Here is another referrer : http://www.overplay.net/r.php?i=4284640195 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Overplay seems great, but why pay when you can do it for free with Tor?

You are able to edit the config file as to make Tor only route you through IPs from a specific country.

Been using it most days for several months now with BBC iPlayer. Sometimes you'll be routed in such a way that the connection isn't good enough to stream, but when this happens you can just right click Vidalia (GUI for the Tor software) and select New Identity.

There are guides on Google, and for the OP just amend any part of the guide that has GB or UK to IE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

dusf wrote: »
    Overplay seems great, but why pay when you can do it for free with Tor?

You are able to edit the config file as to make Tor only route you through IPs from a specific country.

Been using it most days for several months now with BBC iPlayer. Sometimes you'll be routed in such a way that the connection isn't good enough to stream, but when this happens you can just right click Vidalia (GUI for the Tor software) and select New Identity.

There are guides on Google, and for the OP just amend any part of the guide that has GB or UK to IE.
    A professional service offers reliability. That's about it.

DannyD wrote: »
    A professional service offers reliability. That's about it.

Tor is reliable, the streaming problems are very occasional and resolved with the click of a button.

I know $10 a month isn't much at all, but it still seems to me like a waste of money when you can get virtually the same for free.

Tell me this, could one encountering BiTorrent traffic shaping from their ISP use overplay to circumvent this?

If they offered servers with the same range of IPs available I'd jump at an account with them, and pay a lot more than $10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭tech

i have TOR working, is it possible to route RDP traffic out on the TOR IP address?

Thanks

tech wrote: »
    i have TOR working, is it possible to route RDP traffic out on the TOR IP address?

Thanks

There are a few suggestions here on that, and I'm sure there are other guides out there.

What you could try do is use a SOCKSwrapper to cover, 'socksify', or 'proxify' the entire application in the Tor (or any) proxy, and then just use it as normal.

Working SOCKSwrappers I've used in the past include: Widecap, Freecap, Portmapper, Proxifier and SOCKScap. HTTP Tunnel always looked promising but it's commercial.

All of the programs should allow you to point at your Tor proxy (127.0.0.1:8118) and then wrap any program, although Torify is probably the best place to start but I'm not sure I'm familiar with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Please don't dig up threads from a few years ago!.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement