Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natual Law and Positivism

Options
  • 09-02-2009 10:46am

I know this may appear a legal question but it is, in fact, a philosophical one.

Where do people stand on the idea of where laws come from?

Are they man made constructs or are we simply putting action to divine law?

Most specifically:

If law is man made, and if we accept that once a law is considered valid by the country which established it, how do we (in the mould of HLA Hart) square the legality of the laws of Nazi Germany?

PLEASE NOTE: I am in no way starting a Nazi discussion, it is just that natural law theory has only really made a resurgence in western europe since WWII and the Nuremburg trials were the reason.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I know this may appear a legal question but it is, in fact, a philosophical one.

Most specifically:

If law is man made, and if we accept that once a law is considered valid by the country which established it, how do we (in the mould of HLA Hart) square the legality of the laws of Nazi Germany?

PLEASE NOTE: I am in no way starting a Nazi discussion, it is just that natural law theory has only really made a resurgence in western europe since WWII and the Nuremburg trials were the reason.

Laws come from our innate morality which in turn comes from our evolution as a social species. Basically if we did not have morality it would be more difficult for us to co-operate and our advanced level of co-operation is what sets us apart from other species and gives us an evolutionary advantage by increasing our chances of survival.

sink wrote: »
    Laws come from our innate morality which in turn comes from our evolution as a social species.

Define please.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Evilsbane

Define please.
    For an example, look to the Prisoner's Dilemma. At first glance, it appears that it implies an advantage to those who stab everyone in the back. However, when the game is repeated indefinitely, it makes more sense for the players to co-operate because the threat of tit-for-tat reprisal becomes a factor. In competitions, the most successful entries usually prove to be:
    -Nice (do not betray if you have not been betrayed)
    -Retaliatory (if you have been betrayed, retaliate until the opponent relents)
    -Forgiving (once the opponent relents, revert to co-operation)
    -Non-Envious (do not worry about whether your opponent is scoring better than you are).

There are of course variables to consider. In an environment where all opponents are unscrupulous betrayers who always defect, an entry with the above qualities scores relatively poorly. However, even a few opponents that share the above qualities will gain a huge advantage through the increased score from both co-operating as opposed to both betraying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Plato 'Republic' (What is Justice?) & Thomas Hobbs 'Leviathan '(social contract)are among the texts that tried to answer this question but not everyone agrees.

One important point often made is that a 'Law is only as good as its enforcement' .
    Controversly it could be argued that Man made laws are laws that are enforced by Men,
    the Laws of Nature are laws that are enforced by Nature &
    the Laws of Gods are laws that are enforced by God.

We run into trouble when Men try to enforce laws that they claim are Gods or Natures laws.
    If God and Nature have power, let them enforce their own laws.

Evilsbane wrote: »
    For an example, look to the Prisoner's Dilemma. At first glance, it appears that it implies an advantage to those who stab everyone in the back. However, when the game is repeated indefinitely, it makes more sense for the players to co-operate because the threat of tit-for-tat reprisal becomes a factor. In competitions, the most successful entries usually prove to be:
    -Nice (do not betray if you have not been betrayed)
    -Retaliatory (if you have been betrayed, retaliate until the opponent relents)
    -Forgiving (once the opponent relents, revert to co-operation)
    -Non-Envious (do not worry about whether your opponent is scoring better than you are).

There are of course variables to consider. In an environment where all opponents are unscrupulous betrayers who always defect, an entry with the above qualities scores relatively poorly. However, even a few opponents that share the above qualities will gain a huge advantage through the increased score from both co-operating as opposed to both betraying.

I am actually quite well versed in game theory and your analysis of the Prisoner's Dilemma has nothing to do with inate morality. What you describe is an equilibrium, reached through infinite repetition, that is based on an unexploitable long-term strategy to gain the greatest benefit for the individual.

There is nothing innately moral about it. If anything it is totally amoral. It is a mathematical concept which determines optimal strategic performance.

Regardless this is off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I'm confused, is this thread about the Natural Laws (of physics) or about the legitimacy of human laws? Or is it about the ideology that government policy should be informed by science only?

Húrin wrote: »
    I'm confused, is this thread about the Natural Laws (of physics) or about the legitimacy of human laws? Or is it about the ideology that government policy should be informed by science only?

Thread is basically about this:

Are all laws simply reflections of Thomist/Augustinian ideas on an external "God" being the source of inalienable and eternal rights and laws or are they man made constructs, simply evolutionary tools to organise people within society?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I think there are certain concepts which are inalienable, though wholly man-made, because without man, the concept wouldn't (by definition) exist.

Freedom, for one. Take it however you like (I accept there is wiggle room as to what exactly it entails), but the freedom to do as you choose, provided it does not interfere with another person's freedom, I think is so innate as to morally transcend any law made by any government. This is why I don't recognise certain laws, like blasphemy laws, obscenity laws, restrictions on things I do in my own home, and so on. The fact that they are laws does not mean they are right and certainly doesn't mean they should be obeyed. As a responsible human being, it is my duty to fight and/or ignore unjust laws which needlessly curtail my freedom, which cannot be justly restricted unless my freedom harms another's freedom. My own sense of right and wrong and my logic are more than enough to decide which laws merit this treatment.

I find almost universally that anyone who disagrees with me on principle is intellectually subservient to a higher power, be that terrestrial or celestial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Madou

Thread is basically about this:

Are all laws simply reflections of Thomist/Augustinian ideas on an external "God" being the source of inalienable and eternal rights and laws or are they man made constructs, simply evolutionary tools to organise people within society?

To talk about human law is to talk about man made constructs operated under the guise of safeguarding "moral" values, and naturally, such is the subjctive nature of these "morals", that within any hierarchical society they are malleable and can be perverted to the whim of those steering the ship, this in order to win the popular vote (see laws on homosexuality, abortion, contraception, etc. "moral" values we once, apparently, held dear, becoming increasing dilluted).

Remember, outside of any religious beliefs you may have, the concept of "morals" should not exist, as to cast the world into 'right' and 'wrong', is to dye the world in black and white, and circumstance will always dictate. "Condemned to be free", etc.

Away from this idea of morals, laws are said to be in place to keep society on a straight line, running smoothly, etc. Of course, if this is the case, as history will tell you, and present day realities should tell you, human law has failed profoundly on many, if not all levels (I speak here from a humanitarian perspective, as at base, this is what one supposes law to the protect - the human person - regardless of social status, creed or colour).

If you wish to talk of the laws of nature, well these laws are simply a way of defining the world that is presented to us. But then the world we perceive is always changing (the world is flat - the world is round, etc.), so, to speak of laws is to assume perfect knowledge, and when it comes to law, even in an courtroom, nothing can be assumed.

As a responsible human being, it is my duty to fight and/or ignore unjust laws which needlessly curtail my freedom, which cannot be justly restricted unless my freedom harms another's freedom

What makes a law unjust? Who should decide what makes such laws unjust? Your refusal to ignore/fight the laws you deem unjust does not excuse you from the punishment which is attached to them. If the rest of society accepts these laws and you do not do they have the right to punish you for disobeying them? If 60% of people favour a law and 40% do not should the 40% be exempt from obeying it assuming (obviously this is a false assumption) that everyone is rational?
    I find almost universally that anyone who disagrees with me on principle is intellectually subservient to a higher power, be that terrestrial or celestial.

Are you then the sole arbiter of truth? Or simply one of the rare enlightened souls amongst us?

• Advertisement

Define please.

Innate morality is an instinctive sense of what it right and wrong. It is subjective and is influenced by societal norms, which in turn are ever evolving. It evolved due to the competitive advantage that high level co-operation provides, for which a sense of fairness is a prerequisite.

This video might provide a little insight to how our morality developed.

Ape Genius from PBS Nova
    A PBS Nova presentation on the growing cultural intelligence of the greater apes.

What makes a law unjust? Who should decide what makes such laws unjust? Your refusal to ignore/fight the laws you deem unjust does not excuse you from the punishment which is attached to them.

There are too many thing that could make a law unjust, too many variables, for me to state specifically. And no, it wouldn't "excuse" me from a punishment, but it would make that punishment immoral or misguided at best. Who decides? I think I said who decides- the human being, the individual. Asking "who decides" shows a lack of understanding of the concept I raised.

In other words, I believe there are people out there who make laws who do not know better than (for example) me. Now, in a democracy, this is not a very big problem. In, say, Nazi Germany, it was. Laws were passed to make Jews less than human, should they have been obeyed? In America during the Vietnam war, laws were passed to conscript people into military servitude, should those laws have been obeyed? No, and I believe that I and many other people have the ability to see which laws are wrong. Throughout history, far too many evils have been done or tolerated because people "followed orders", as it were. As humans, we have a responsibility to use our own innate moral and logical sense to challenge an authority if that authority is acting in a manner which needlessly causes harm to a person or group or persons.
    If the rest of society accepts these laws and you do not do they have the right to punish you for disobeying them? If 60% of people favour a law and 40% do not should the 40% be exempt from obeying it assuming (obviously this is a false assumption) that everyone is rational?

If 60% passed a law that said 40% should be killed, would that oblige the 40% to obey that law? This is where democracy reaches its limit and rights kick in.
    Are you then the sole arbiter of truth? Or simply one of the rare enlightened souls amongst us?

Did I say that? I said I know a wrong when I see it, not that I am right about everything. But since you asked, I do happen to have a high opinion of my moral code and would call it enlightened. It's impossible to quantify, and pointless to argue "I'm more moral than other people" when we're using different definitions of moral. My definition of an immoral act is one which causes unjustifiable harm. This follows that any act which does not cause unjustifiable harm is not immoral, and IMO acts which are not immoral should not be illegal. If they are, ignoring that law does no harm and the law breaker is morally vindicated. The law maker (and by extension, all who support that law), by restricting a harmless action is immorally restricting the birthright of freedom.

I am actually quite well versed in game theory and your analysis of the Prisoner's Dilemma has nothing to do with inate morality. What you describe is an equilibrium, reached through infinite repetition, that is based on an unexploitable long-term strategy to gain the greatest benefit for the individual.

There is nothing innately moral about it. If anything it is totally amoral. It is a mathematical concept which determines optimal strategic performance.

Regardless this is off topic.
    I don't think it's off topic at all. Look at it in another way. If the best way to get ahead was to be Nice, Retaliatory, Forgiving and Non-Envious, then evolution would favour species that work together for mutual benefit instead of bickering with each other and allowing other species to take advantage of their lack of co-operation. This is why predators always target the animal that strays too far from the herd - they're easier targets than a large group who are close enough together to gang up on the predator. Sure, each member of the herd would reproduce more if his/her sexual competition were eliminated, but if they did not protect each other they would get picked off one by one and the entire species would become extinct. So to advance your own selfish ends, it is required to evolve a certain level of innate tendency towards cooperation (AKA morality).

It sounds like a contradiction, but it works. Humanity's greatest invention was not fire or the wheel. It was language, so that one person can share what they've learned with others. If the caveman that invented fire had never shown anyone else how to do it, where would we be today? Humanity has gotten as far as it has because we co-operate. And for people to co-operate, they must trust each other. And for people to trust each other, they must have shared values. If a person's moral code included 'I kill people who have never harmed me', would you be inclined to co-operate with this person?

The Prisoner's Dilemma illustrates that co-operation (even to a limted degree) works better than screwing people over, and so morality has evolved through survival of the fittest. So really, certain laws that get enacted are 'divine law' because they are logically the best for everyone.

I don't think it's off topic at all. Look at it in another way. If the best way to get ahead was to be Nice, Retaliatory, Forgiving and Non-Envious, then evolution would favour species that work together for mutual benefit instead of bickering with each other and allowing other species to take advantage of their lack of co-operation. This is why predators always target the animal that strays too far from the herd - they're easier targets than a large group who are close enough together to gang up on the predator. Sure, each member of the herd would reproduce more if his/her sexual competition were eliminated, but if they did not protect each other they would get picked off one by one and the entire species would become extinct. So to advance your own selfish ends, it is required to evolve a certain level of innate tendency towards cooperation (AKA morality).

It sounds like a contradiction, but it works. Humanity's greatest invention was not fire or the wheel. It was language, so that one person can share what they've learned with others. If the caveman that invented fire had never shown anyone else how to do it, where would we be today? Humanity has gotten as far as it has because we co-operate. And for people to co-operate, they must trust each other. And for people to trust each other, they must have shared values. If a person's moral code included 'I kill people who have never harmed me', would you be inclined to co-operate with this person?

The Prisoner's Dilemma illustrates that co-operation (even to a limted degree) works better than screwing people over, and so morality has evolved through survival of the fittest. So really, certain laws that get enacted are 'divine law' because they are logically the best for everyone.

First off, the ideal theory in the Prisoner's Dilemma is to ALWAYS screw over the other person.

Secondly, morality as cooperation to keep our species as a whole strong is a very contractarian approach. If the greatest benefit to us as a species in terms of survival is to kill off the weakest members of our society so as to keep our gene pool strong then would that be moral or immoral?

You keep using words like values without giving definitions or really positing a serious answer to where law comes from. Please be more concise in your responses which I do appreciate although your grasp of the Prisoner's Dilemma seems questionable.

Secondly, morality as cooperation to keep our species as a whole strong is a very contractarian approach. If the greatest benefit to us as a species in terms of survival is to kill off the weakest members of our society so as to keep our gene pool strong then would that be moral or immoral?

Firstly, instinctive killing off of any member of one's own group is counter to a high level of co-operation. It conflicts with the parents instinct to protect their young at all costs. It will lead to a situation where either pre-emptive or reciprocal violence is common place thus destroying the trust necessary for high levels of co-operation. So killing off the weakest in the pack is incompatible with high levels of co-operation. Either the evolution of a species takes one route or the other it can't do both. It would appear that the killing of weaker members of one's own species is in fact common place in the animal kingdom and therefore a likely trait to evolve, in comparison high levels of co-operation are much rarer. But judging by the success of homo sapiens at propagating it is much more beneficial trait.

Secondly evolution is an unguided process. It does not look at a situation and try to work out the best way to approach it. Tiny almost insignificant changes occur constantly over massive time scales. If any of those changes are beneficial to survival or reproduction they will propagate, conversely if they have a negative impact they will become extinct. Looking at any attribute of a species including morality from a top down perspective is completely inverse, for everything evolved from the bottom up.

Your moral sense is guided by instinct just as is mine. It is what allows me to place trust in you to co-operate on a shared objective which we would be unable or less efficient and effective at accomplishing on our own. If we did not trust each other we would not be able to co-operate and we would be at a disadvantage to any other competing group who did. The level at which human co-operation takes place is unparalleled in the animal kingdom suggesting that it is an extremely rare path for evolution to take.

Thirdly, we can't take our morality and apply it to other species (top down) for it is a trait of our species an none other. Morality evolved as part of our psychology and has proven itself to be extremely beneficial from a purely Darwinian perspective and as such is worth following.

To answer your direct question, in line with how high level co-operation derives from trust which is why we have morality/ethics or more simply a sense fairness and killing another's offspring would break the trust resulting in a breakdown in high level co-operation, yes it is immoral!

Wonderful post Sink.

If only it had something to do with law.

Wonderful post Sink.

If only it had something to do with law.

It has everything to do with law. Law comes from morality/ethics, it is simply giving it an agreed structure we collectively apply. If you are look for some objective moral truth provided from above in the form of divine laws then i'm sorry it doesn't exist.

sink wrote: »
    It has everything to do with law. Law comes from morality/ethics, it is simply giving it an agreed structure we collectively apply. If you are look for some objective moral truth provided from above in the form of divine laws then i'm sorry it doesn't exist.

Is that where law comes from?

OK, well then if a law does not come from there is it a valid law? We don't all agree on every law and our laws ASSUME people are not going to follow them so clearly they do not come from any common sense of right and wrong.

Also, if it is a shared and common sense of morality/ethics then why do we need them if they are so commonly shared?

Ireland's primary source of law, Bunreacht Na hEireann, acknowledges the Christian God. If law comes from this shared sense of morality then surely our most basic law giving documents acknowledgment of God means that we all share the basic belief in a God.

Is that where law comes from?

OK, well then if a law does not come from there is it a valid law?

Morality was initially and still is in many cases, only applied within one's own group. Laws which go against a universal sense of morality (i.e. a moral value placed upon every human on the planet) are to the benefit of individual groups at the expense of others. Discrimination against one group for the benefit of another is in steady decline and has been since the earliest human societies. Peter Singer called this 'the expanding circle'. Early homo sapiens only applied moral worth to their extended family unit, as cooperation grew between different groups they extended moral worth to their new partners. The circle has continued to expand as cooperation has grown between larger and larger groups of people. It is driven by enlightened self interest, the slow realisation that cooperation between larger and larger groups leads to greater mutual rewards.

For a better description read Singers own words.
    http://www.utilitarian.net/singer/by/199704--.htm

Also worth a look is this lecture given by Steven Pinker on the decline of violence in human society in which he talks about the expanding circle.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ramBFRt1Uzk&feature=channel_page
    We don't all agree on every law and our laws ASSUME people are not going to follow them so clearly they do not come from any common sense of right and wrong.

I don't agree. Morality is subjective, although it is a natural and instinctive sense it is informed by one's culture and the beliefs therein. It is also informed by knowledge and understanding of other social groups or lack thereof. Just because different people come to different conclusions does not mean they were not informed by a common sense. Similar to the way we both share a common sense of smell, but while the smell of fried mushrooms makes me gag you might find the aroma appetising. Obviously it doesn't work exactly the same fashion, but you get my point.
    Also, if it is a shared and common sense of morality/ethics then why do we need them if they are so commonly shared?

I'm assuming you mean to ask why do we need laws. Simply because morality is subjective and as such not everyone will agree. Also the fact that there is in addition, an instinct to be opportunistic. If one thinks they can get away with something without the negative consequence of a loss in trust and the resulting withdrawl of cooperation or reprisals then more often than not they will do so, even though their own moral sense is telling them it is wrong. After all the moral sense originated only as method to maintain mutual trust and ensure continued cooperation. If a loss of trust and cooperation can be avoided there is no direct benefit to being moral and so our moral sense can be overridden if the opportunity or need arises.
    Ireland's primary source of law, Bunreacht Na hEireann, acknowledges the Christian God. If law comes from this shared sense of morality then surely our most basic law giving documents acknowledgment of God means that we all share the basic belief in a God.

A common moral sense does not mean homogeneity of personal morals. Just as a common sense of hearing does not equate to a common taste in music.

First off, the ideal theory in the Prisoner's Dilemma is to ALWAYS screw over the other person.
    Only in a single game. When you have a large competition base like a league where everyone plays against everyone else, players that work together each accrue a larger score in a single game than two players who both screw each other. If there are 6 players who each play each other in a league, 4 of them are 'always betray' and 2 are 'co-operate until the other betrays, then adding up the total of each player's 5 games will result in the two co-operators faring better than the four betrayers, since in any game with a betrayer the co-operator will only score marginally worse than the betrayer (since it will switch to a 'betray' tactic once it realises that its opponent won't play ball) but a game with 2 co-operators will allow them both to each score significantly higher. Increase the number of betrayers and the two co-operators will still probably score higher overall.
    Killing off weaker members of the species would have eliminated Seabiscuit in horses and in people it would have eliminated people like Ray Charles, Ludwig von Beethoven and others too numerous to mention. Many civilisations have attempted to eliminate weaker members of their own species but always fell victim to the dangers of inbreeding by narrowing the gene pool too much.
    You keep using words like values without giving definitions or really positing a serious answer to where law comes from. Please be more concise in your responses which I do appreciate although your grasp of the Prisoner's Dilemma seems questionable.
    Values are different from person to person. I'm merely pointing out that people who share opinions on how to treat others tend to work together more closely since they both treat each other the way they would like to be treated themselves. By agreeing a set of laws on how to treat members of their group, they put each other at ease since each is now confident that they will not be taken advantage of.

• Advertisement

That was written by a Catholic madman who was the closest thing Ireland ever had to a home-grown despot. Regardless, even though it acknowledges a god, the laws therein do not come from that god, but from man. At no point does it say "and god said, and so we do".

Only in a single game. When you have a large competition base like a league where everyone plays against everyone else, players that work together each accrue a larger score in a single game than two players who both screw each other. If there are 6 players who each play each other in a league, 4 of them are 'always betray' and 2 are 'co-operate until the other betrays, then adding up the total of each player's 5 games will result in the two co-operators faring better than the four betrayers, since in any game with a betrayer the co-operator will only score marginally worse than the betrayer (since it will switch to a 'betray' tactic once it realises that its opponent won't play ball) but a game with 2 co-operators will allow them both to each score significantly higher. Increase the number of betrayers and the two co-operators will still probably score higher overall.

I am sorry but this is so so so wrong.

The Prisoner's Dilemma does not allow for co-operation. Where it does it alters the nature of the game. The dilemma, as posited, states that the prisoners are in seperate rooms with no knowledge of each other. Where this is done in a finite and defined number of instances the greatest potential benefit is achieved by always screwing the other person. Where there is an undefined number of instances then the greatest result is gained by a tit-for-tat strategy. Where it is a once off the great potential return is gained by always screwing them over. This is not a disagreement of opinion. What I am saying is provable mathematical fact and what you are saying is nonsense.

As for the other points.

Nobody has yet given me a solid theoretical reason for why laws are laws and why we follow them.

I am sorry but this is so so so wrong.

The Prisoner's Dilemma does not allow for co-operation. Where it does it alters the nature of the game. The dilemma, as posited, states that the prisoners are in seperate rooms with no knowledge of each other. Where this is done in a finite and defined number of instances the greatest potential benefit is achieved by always screwing the other person. Where there is an undefined number of instances then the greatest result is gained by a tit-for-tat strategy. Where it is a once off the great potential return is gained by always screwing them over. This is not a disagreement of opinion. What I am saying is provable mathematical fact and what you are saying is nonsense.
    The part in bold is flawed and I'll give you an example. There are 4 players playing the iterated Prisoner's Dilemma (and no, I'm not suggesting that they all play at once since the Prisoner's Dilemma only accomodates two players at a time): A, B, C and D. Players A and B follow the 'always betray/defect' strategy. Players C and D follow the 'only betray if you were betrayed in the last iteration' strategy. They each play each other player in a league style - A against B, C against D, A against C, B against D, A against D and B against C. Each game consists of 10 iterations.

For those that don't know the rules of the Prisoner's Dilemma, here's the Wikipedia explanation:
    Two suspects are arrested by the police. The police have insufficient evidence for a conviction, and, having separated both prisoners, visit each of them to offer the same deal. If one testifies (defects) for the prosecution against the other and the other remains silent, the betrayer goes free and the silent accomplice receives the full 10-year sentence. If both remain silent, both prisoners are sentenced to only six months in jail for a minor charge. If each betrays the other, each receives a five-year sentence. Each prisoner must choose to betray the other or to remain silent. Each one is assured that the other would not know about the betrayal before the end of the investigation. How should the prisoners act?

What the Iterated Prisoner's Dilemma means is that the game is repeated for a certain number of iterations, so although neither player knows what their opponent will do in a given iteration, each player knows what the other player did last time.

When Player A plays Player B, each betrays the other all ten times, making them serve a total of 50 years each. When Player C plays Player D, they co-operate all 10 times, making them serve 5 years each. When a betray player plays against a tit-for-tat player, the tit-for-tat player gets the full 10 years and the betray player gets 0 in the first iteration, but they betray each other for the other nine iterations, giving the betray player 45 years and the tit-for-tat player 55 years.

At the end, when all games have been played, they tally their totals. Player A served 140 years, Player B served 140 years, Player C served 115 years, and Player D served 115 years. Ergo, the co-operators fared better. Your analysis that the best strategy is to betray in a finite amount of iterations is flawed since it ignores the possibility that the opponent won't betray first. It assumes that the opponent is unscrupulous.

Usually, you'd be right in saying that 'always betray' always wins against 'don't betray unless you've been betrayed(tit-for-tat)', since the tit-for-tat player gets screwed in the first iteration and they're equal in all subsequent iterations. This could be seen as confirmation of the old saying 'nice guys finish last'. However, when you consider that the world is comprised of many varieties of personalities, you realise that when all of these personalities interact with each other, the co-operators outperform the loners.

Anyway, this is a very long-winded way of saying that 'the basic laws' (like those against murder, etc) have arisen because of survival of the fittest: those who follow a certain minimum standard of morality thrive better than those who ignore social expectation.

Nobody has yet given me a solid theoretical reason for why laws are laws and why we follow them.

Well I was talking about why not to obey laws, and don't think I didn't notice you couldn't come up with a damming retort.

Laws are laws and we follow them because (what is supposed to be) their sole purpose to ensure an ordered society where people are protected from chaos and harm, and to protect their rights. These laws come in many forms. We follow them because it makes sense to do so.

Pretty simple really. I mean, didn't you already know that? Or do you think we follow laws for fear of punishment, like the people who aren't rapists solely because of big brother (aka god) looking over their shoulder?

Well I was talking about why not to obey laws, and don't think I didn't notice you couldn't come up with a damming retort.

I usually try and avoid replying to nonsense. I'll make an exception for this post.
    Laws are laws and we follow them because (what is supposed to be) their sole purpose to ensure an ordered society where people are protected from chaos and harm, and to protect their rights. These laws come in many forms. We follow them because it makes sense to do so.

This is pretty close to the worst explanation I have ever read. It makes sense to do so? How do you then account for people who break the law? If it makes sense not to follow a law for an individual are they then absolved from obeying it?

If laws are simply common sense then why have them? Would the group simply not self censure? If someone acted contrary to the good of the group then the group would simply act? Why are the formalities necessary?

Pretty simple really. I mean, didn't you already know that? Or do you think we follow laws for fear of punishment, like the people who aren't rapists solely because of big brother (aka god) looking over their shoulder?

Luckily I have a more nuanced mind than to follow your logic.

"Why do we follow laws? Duh! Cause it makes sense to!"

When it doesn't make sense then does the law cease to be valid? I never said law requires an external expositor, however law is simply a few words on paper without an enforcement mechanism. Relying on the individual to comply due to a sense of "common sense" is completely unworkable.

I usually try and avoid replying to nonsense. I'll make an exception for this post.

That nice isn't it? Find something you don't agree with and yet cannot logically defeat, so call it nonsense and refuse to address it.
    This is pretty close to the worst explanation I have ever read. It makes sense to do so? How do you then account for people who break the law? If it makes sense not to follow a law for an individual are they then absolved from obeying it?

And you have a better one, I assume? People have been bringing up evolution because that is where the answers lie. I account for people who break the law by them being desperate and/or morally vacant, having been raised to think they act that way without consequences.

If it makes sense for an individual...it doesn't, in nature. In chimp society (and we can assume in our own, many eons ago), one who is selfish and doesn't co-operate is ostracised; those who do are rewarded. At the simplest level, people who harm others will themselves be harmed in return, specifically for their own transgression. It is known that co-operation rules over competition. Our laws have evolved to reflect this. If everyone stole and murdered, humans wouldn't survive. If no body did, it would be as near to paradise as could be. The larger society gets, the more people there are going to be who will take their chances, but in most cases those people are the losers; they end up hated and find it hard to get help.

I would turn this around on you and ask, if it doesn't make sense to do so, why do most people support and obey laws?

If it makes sense not to follow a law for an individual are they then absolved from obeying it? It depends which law. You can't divide things into black and white. If the law is just, it should be obeyed. If it is unjust, it has failed to do its job and a case could be made for breaking (or better yet, scrapping) it.

If laws are simply common sense then why have them? Would the group simply not self censure? If someone acted contrary to the good of the group then the group would simply act? Why are the formalities necessary?

I'm not going to say, because we probably agree on the reasons why laws are so detailed. They're based on common sense, but common sense isn't enough. Detail is needed to account for divergent opinions, to make sure the law is applied equally in all places, and so on.

Luckily I have a more nuanced mind than to follow your logic.

"Why do we follow laws? Duh! Cause it makes sense to!"

When it doesn't make sense then does the law cease to be valid? I never said law requires an external expositor, however law is simply a few words on paper without an enforcement mechanism. Relying on the individual to comply due to a sense of "common sense" is completely unworkable.

I never said we don't need law enforcers. I guess I have a higher opinion of humanity than you do, and in particular I'm thinking of people who aren't selfish immoral criminals. I know that I could live my life without ever needing someone else to enforce my own values on me. Sadly, some people don't seem to have anything but greed. I do agree that law is just words on paper, but I think law should always be to morality what writing is to language, and that they should never diverge.

And if you refuse to follow my logic, how can you possibly be qualified to say it doesn't make sense? I'm following your logic, and I simply don't agree.

I usually try and avoid replying to nonsense.
    I take it that that's what I can expect?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement